Author Topic: healthy pets insurance?  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: healthy pets insurance?
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »
I've only renewed once (May) as the boys are only 2 1/2. The premiums only went up a few pence each policy. (I think it was around the time M&S had started to really hike their prices up so I was pleasantly surprised as both companies are/were both underwritten by Axa.)   

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »
They will definately be on my list when it comes to renewal although i do feel a strange loyalty to HP as they have been very good over the last two years and they are still half the cost all be it for a less comprehensive package, i have to say this is the first company i've compared to HP that has got me thinking of changing and i've lost count of the comparisons i've made.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »
I'm with the halifax and pay just under 30 pounds each month for 3 dogs,  The second year I insured with them it only went up by a few pence. I insured Monty with them in february and have had to make a claim for him, paid up no probs and I'm about to make another claim for him. So I've already had more back than what I will pay for his policy.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
Ive been reading this thread with interest as my insurance (Tesco) is about to expire.  I was paying £9.75 per month, but new quote is £20.  When I called to ask why the big increase (ellie is 1 y.o) and had no treatment, they said I had a discount last year.  The cheapest they could do was £16.  Just has a quote from healthy pets - which is £11 per month, but I did like the sound of the Halifax one.  That quote though has come back at £24 which seems more than some of the posts on here.  Would the fact that she is not spayed yet make a difference?

Unsure now whether to pay the extra and stay with Tesco or switch to healthy pets

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »
I know some people have had big quotes from the Halifax, So I don't know if they have upped their prices like most seem to have. I also think it depends where you live. My girls renewal is due in November so we;ll see. It only went up a couple of pence last year.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
Marlee's come yp in Dec. I'm serousaly considering switching from Buddies to Heathly Pets.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
but I did like the sound of the Halifax one.  That quote though has come back at £24 which seems more than some of the posts on here.  Would the fact that she is not spayed yet make a difference?
I don't think her not being spayed would affect the price of the policy. One of my boys is castrated and one is entire. The entire dog is insured as the second dog and so is cheaper than the castrated one. (Second pet discount.) And when I rang up to inform them that one was castrated it made no difference whatsoever to my renewal quotation.  ::)
Perhaps Halifax have now put their prices up along with the others. :dunno:

Just done an on line quote for one of mine and was quoted £20.51. I currently pay around £13 for him. Guess I'll be looking at a big increase in May.  ::)

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:36 AM »
Ive been reading this thread with interest as my insurance (Tesco) is about to expire.  I was paying £9.75 per month, but new quote is £20.  When I called to ask why the big increase (ellie is 1 y.o) and had no treatment, they said I had a discount last year.  The cheapest they could do was £16.  Just has a quote from healthy pets - which is £11 per month, but I did like the sound of the Halifax one.  That quote though has come back at £24 which seems more than some of the posts on here.  Would the fact that she is not spayed yet make a difference?

Unsure now whether to pay the extra and stay with Tesco or switch to healthy pets

i'm gonna change to petguard in oct, i've driven myself mad  >:( looking at so many webites, these offer lifelong,good amount and you can tailor it to your needs, (i'm leaving out the oversea's cover) and works out just under £20  ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
Oh dear i'm so confused after reading this thread. I'll be checking through my policy when i get home but i've just renewed Roxy's insurance with the Kennel club £24.95/month  :-\
I've noticed no one is with them, is there are reason why?
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline PennyB

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
but I did like the sound of the Halifax one.  That quote though has come back at £24 which seems more than some of the posts on here.  Would the fact that she is not spayed yet make a difference?
I don't think her not being spayed would affect the price of the policy. One of my boys is castrated and one is entire. The entire dog is insured as the second dog and so is cheaper than the castrated one. (Second pet discount.) And when I rang up to inform them that one was castrated it made no difference whatsoever to my renewal quotation.  ::)

and more than likely they will increase it whether you've claimed or not
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »
Well I'm still faffing about with insurance.  I had made up my mind to go with tesco extra till I read some posts on here, but am now not sure.  :-\ I re-checked the quote from Halifax, and put in one where she was spayed, and one where not.  It did make a difference to premiums of £3.00 per month, even though their FAQ's say no discounts for pets who are neutered?? will call them tomorrow to query.

What do people think are best - policies which pay out a maximum amount per condition for life (up to maximum) but you can claim for as many different conditions as are necessary?

or policies which pay out a maximum per year for all conditions, but this is re-set each year?

AAAAARGH! I think I'm going mad ....

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »
Well I'm still faffing about with insurance.  I had made up my mind to go with tesco extra till I read some posts on here, but am now not sure.  :-\ I re-checked the quote from Halifax, and put in one where she was spayed, and one where not.  It did make a difference to premiums of £3.00 per month, even though their FAQ's say no discounts for pets who are neutered?? will call them tomorrow to query.

What do people think are best - policies which pay out a maximum amount per condition for life (up to maximum) but you can claim for as many different conditions as are necessary?

or policies which pay out a maximum per year for all conditions, but this is re-set each year?

AAAAARGH! I think I'm going mad ....

i'd have to say the latter as i've just renewed with Petguard and i'm getting £7,500 each year, i just worry with the first option if treatment was on going and took you over the maximum amount, you would then have to find the money.
chantelle & Tilly

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
It really depends on wether or not your dog gets an ailement like diabetes that requires long term medication and then whether the cost of that medication is likely to exceed the maximum sum

Personally i am happy to take that gamble and have the cheaper premium, if i end up having to pay extra then i probably will have saved more than i end up spending

Before you make a decision get a few quotes from the company you are thinking of using and see what difference it makes if your dog is aged 8 - some companies will not even quote for dogs of age 8 others make it very expensive - it makes cover for life somewhat of a joke.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline PennyB

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »
It really depends on wether or not your dog gets an ailement like diabetes that requires long term medication and then whether the cost of that medication is likely to exceed the maximum sum

and may be crippling orthopaedic conditions or to prevent arthritic conditions getting worse --- on petplan I can get acupuncture and water treadmill treatment for Wilf which would cost me at least £80 a session and he's had this for the past couple of years
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
well, have finally renewed, and in the end went with petguard.  It does give lifetime cover, and up to £7,500 cover for vets fees each year, and I think covers complentary treatments as well if recommended by vet. Came in at £3.50  per month more than Tesco (£16 for £4000 per condiition) but you get much more cover for that.  Thanks to everyone for advice on what to look for  :blink: