Author Topic: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...  (Read 3226 times)

Offline ~Holly~

Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
Hello everyone - this is my first post here.  :blink: I have wanted a dog all my life and I think I could now be in a position to give one a loving home and a cocker spaniel very much appeals - nice size, active but not springer spaniel/collie active (!), great personality etc.  I would be a first time dog owner (although I  used to look after my parents' beagle (now sadly passed away) when they went on holiday etc.) 

The real hurdle for me is my job however.  I work full time and I am out of the house for 11-12 hours every weekday (from c.7am to c. 6.30pm.)  I would not be looking to get a puppy for this reason - but an adult rescue - probably between 2-5 years old that is used to being left alone - i.e has come from a working home.  Do you think with a dogwalker coming in at lunchtime, and me walking the dog every morning and evening before and after work, that this could be a realistic arrangement for a cocker spaniel?  I understand that the dog's needs have to come first of course and that is why I am here to do my research before making any decisions.   :blink: 

All advice would be much appreciated.  I have been doing other research from books/KC/Cocker Spaniel Club websites but a lot of it seems very conflicted so I thought it best to ask current cocker spaniel owners.    :blink:

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »
I think for that length of time a doggy day care maybe better. Where you drop your dog off in the morning and pick it up on the way home.

I think as a general rule most rescues would see about four hours as an acceptable length of time, so maybe if the dog was left four hours, then picked up for 3, then left four again. Best bet is to ask around at your local rescue centres.

If you let people know where you are, people maybe able to recommend walkers, day care centres etc.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I am in Staffordshire - Lichfield. 

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »
a cocker spaniel very much appeals - nice size, active but not springer spaniel/collie active (!),

Sorry but I don't agree with this - a cocker is as active as springers and collies

Welcome by the way ;)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
You really can't leave a dog that long, even with a dog walker.  For the dog, it would be tantamount to solitary confinement, which is the worst form of punishment ever (and why it's used in prisons, btw, for the severest offenders). 

Have you thought about walking some rescue dogs on the weekends at your local rescue centre?
Cats can be left alone for quite long periods.

I do agree - they are very long hours!  :huh:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
 :-\  :-\ What if the dogwalker had the dog for 3 hours so that he/she was left for 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the afternoon as suggested by emilyjw?  Or what about two visits from a dogwalker during the day?  Is 4 hours really a maximum that a dog can be left then? Any dog?

(Obviously it would be a different story on weekends when I would be around the whole time.)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
Sorry but I don't agree with this - a cocker is as active as springers and collies

I agree with Caroline.  Kali is on the go from morning til night! ::)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
Welcome to COL and well done for doing your research before considering such a big step.

Dogs can be left for more than 4 hours... occasionally. But every day for the length of time you're talking about is going to be too much for most dogs. Cockers are active little souls and as has been said above some can be as active if not more so than some springers or collies. However, more importantly, like all dogs they are extremely sociable creatures so likely to be very miserable at best in that kind of solitary life style or destructive and develop behaviour problems at worst... life isn't all about walks for dogs it's also about interacting and being a part of your life/family.

I agree with the others that day care may be the solution for you if you really want a dog at this point in your life, but it can be pricey!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
Hi Holly  :D Welcome to cockers online.
Its a great idea of yours to get lots of information and ask all these questions before you take the step into getting a doggy.
With regards to the time you would be out of the house I would sadly say that its perhaps too long...I can only talk from experience, I have two cockers and they are both fine for an hour or 3 but no more really.
I can see what you are saying about getting a dog walker to come in and excercise them for you and possibly if you got them to do this morning and afternoon it would be ok but it can cost quite abit so just look into that first.
With the excercise thingy, I find both mine are fine with one walk a day but I do tend to take them out twice just so I know I have done my best to wear them out :005: They are a very active breed and do need lots of excercise....just got back from walking mine and was hoping for a quiet 30 mins but the one is still ready for more ::)
Good luck with it. :D

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Holly.  :D

Im afraid to say that if your expecting a cocker spaniel to be not as active as springers and collies, you might need to think again about getting a cocker, ;)  from speaking to other members of the COL, cockers are highly strung and very very active, at times it is like living with a child that had ADHA  :shades:and at times can be quite stressful etc, but none the less my boy is the apple of my eye and I would not swap all the money in the world for him..  Hope you get the answers your looking for and again Holly welcome

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
a cocker spaniel very much appeals - nice size, active but not springer spaniel/collie active (!),

Welcome by the way ;)

Sorry if this came across blunt  ph34r

I think you are doing well in the fact you are researching before you go ahead  :D

I also think a dog needs companionship for longer than a dog walker popping in with your long hours, so i would be prone to looking at dog day care as others have said  :D (altho it is as costly as child care in some places, but IMO well worth it  :D )

Good luck in your search and apologies again  :shades:

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
whoops mistake on above post -   :005: My cocker is left at home from 8am till ten to 6pm, Monday to Friday, but has the whole of the house and garden to run about in, he has a companion though an older dog so he is not entirely on his own!!! I hate  :shades: to leave him at home, but as I live in the country life is not bad for him, the complete opposite in fact.  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »
 :005: Jo you live in the back of beyond,  :shades:

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  I thought a dogwalker would cover the weekday daytime walks (and toilet needs) and I do a lot of exercise myself including long walks (and runs) at the weekend - but I understand what Trevor is saying about a dog needing to be part of the family and just be around people.  I can't change my working hours and my OH works even longer hours.  :'(   It looks like I won't be able to have a dog until I retire then....in 30 years.

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »

Welcome by the way ;)

Sorry if this came across blunt  ph34r

I think you are doing well in the fact you are researching before you go ahead  :D

I also think a dog needs companionship for longer than a dog walker popping in with your long hours, so i would be prone to looking at dog day care as others have said  :D (altho it is as costly as child care in some places, but IMO well worth it  :D )

Good luck in your search and apologies again  :shades:

No need to apologise.   :blink:  I came here for advice so I am glad people have offered it.  Perhaps I will look at dog day care... I have never heard of it before.

ETA  - Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Lichfield/South Staffordshire area?