Author Topic: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...  (Read 3224 times)

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
Re: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Dont give up Holly, doing the research that you have done so far is brilliant, not alot of people think of all the relevant information and just think 'aw puppy' 'i want one and thats that' keep looking round, do you know of anyone that you know that is a part time worker or a stay at home person> that can look after your dog, while you work, my dog is not fussy at all about who looks after him if anyone at all!!! fuss and attention is all that the little sod needs!!! and companions (2 cats and another dog to play with is just as good)

Cazza -  :lol: Hmmm yes your right I do live in the back of the beyond....... at times too far out!  :005:

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
Holly, Im in Telford...not sure how far that is from you. I will dog sit for you if were close enough!  :D

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »
Holly, Im in Telford...not sure how far that is from you. I will dog sit for you if were close enough!  :D

Awww...that is very kind of you.  I appreciate the offer.  I think Telford is about 30 miles away though and not on my way to work. It would make my already far too long commute even longer...

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
It's worth asking around where you live - try asking dog owners as well as checking adverts. In the village I live in there are two dog walkers/sitters. They have keys and collect the dogs when the owners have gone to work then the dogs spend the day walking with them or playing with the other dogs they look after in their homes/gardens.. and have a really great day. I think... they charge about £15 a day which is definitely cheaper than childcare around here  :lol2:!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
Pets at home often have adverts for dog walkers, also try asking the local vet :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline millrace

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
oh dear holly....this is such a contentious issue here...just check out previous posts on the subject and you will find opinion is very much against you on this one...which is fine but unless you are A,retired B,dont have to work or C,have all these facilities around you and can afford them....dont be made to think you are going to have to wait 30yrs before you have a cocker(im sure not every one who posts on here has done this!!!!)

owning and working is difficult but with some help from relatives and friends very possible and you never know when youre working circumstances will change,we both work full time allbeit at different times and tia is fine and quites likes her time on her own(ceems to be only time she sleeps) ;) and is still a loving little pup who isnt sad destructive or uncared for....

they are full of energy loving and very adaptable little sods who have more get up and go than most of us owners and you will know urself if youre lifestyle is suitable to owning a cocker....think long and hard about it but dont be put of by the "pc" brigade who say this situation dosent work.............
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »
Something I would recommend is to go to a local rescue centre and walk the dogs at the weekend. I also would maybe consider different breeds and speak to the rescue and see what they recommend. Some dogs will be in rescue as they haven't coped with being left alone, where as others will be quite happy to be left.

Another breed that came to mind is maybe a greyhound? I may be completely wrong, but you may find there are other breeds that may be more suitable.

You may also find that an older dog may suit you better, but like I said a good rescue will be able to provide you with information on the individual dogs and their needs and what would suit them.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
    • digby
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
oh dear holly....this is such a contentious issue here...just check out previous posts on the subject and you will find opinion is very much against you on this one...which is fine but unless you are A,retired B,dont have to work or C,have all these facilities around you and can afford them....dont be made to think you are going to have to wait 30yrs before you have a cocker(im sure not every one who posts on here has done this!!!!)

owning and working is difficult but with some help from relatives and friends very possible and you never know when youre working circumstances will change,we both work full time allbeit at different times and tia is fine and quites likes her time on her own(ceems to be only time she sleeps) ;) and is still a loving little pup who isnt sad destructive or uncared for....

they are full of energy loving and very adaptable little sods who have more get up and go than most of us owners and you will know urself if youre lifestyle is suitable to owning a cocker....think long and hard about it but dont be put of by the "pc" brigade who say this situation dosent work.............
I completely agree with you, if you have the facilities to be able to have somebody else step in and look after your dog whilst you work thats just wonderful. I think most people are just comenting on their personal experience, which is all anyone can do.
Also it will of course in every situation very much depend on the personality of the dog you end up with. Some are alot more happier about being at home for longer periods and some are not.
 :blink:

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
    • digby
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

Awww...that is very kind of you.  I appreciate the offer.  I think Telford is about 30 miles away though and not on my way to work. It would make my already far too long commute even longer...

Oh that is abit of a distance.  :005: You dont want that journey added on everyday! :o

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »
Hi, welcome to COL  ;)

You have probably read some of the replies and been really pushed out of wanting to own a Cocker!! Dont despair, you have definately come to the right place for advice!  ;) :shades: this place is a haven for newcomers and newbies like me!  :005:

I was a bit  ph34r when i first posted and heard ppl's comments and re-actions and its all depending on how it fits into your lifestyle and everyone has an opinion - ALBEIT cockers are the bain of our lives!  :005:

I work full time kinda 9-5 and OH also works full time, but my mum comes into my house at lunchtime and feeds, plays and exercises and keeps them company, Then usually someone is back between 4.30-6. So the dogs get left maximum 4hours, however on occasions they may have been left 5/6 - although i cant bear to be apart!!!

Im thankful for my mum, otherwise i would not have been able to afford day care or a walker, these pups cost enough!!!  :005: I have 2 puppies, i keep them both in the kitchen whilst they are alone, and have a puppy gate!!

Hopefully you can find a solution that will work out for you !! I love my babies and i am so glad that i have found some help. Although my nan looks after dogs for £7 for 24hrs, but i live in Warwick, little bit far for you!

Otherwise enjoy COL and all the advise and coo-ing over all the beutifuls dogs!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I am really glad I joined here - everyone has been so helpful.  :D  I will be doing further research and I am in no rush, so if I do come to the decision that I can give a dog (whether it is a cocker or not) a good home (and I am sure it is the case that no dog can be left all day with just a couple of hours walk at lunchtime - I really hadn't thought about the companionship aspect - so I think some measure of daycare would be needed) then I will happily go on a waiting list for a rescue who will hopefully match me with a suitable dog. 

I have already been nosing on the photo sections and I want all the dogs!  They really are just gorgeous.  :luv:

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
    • digby
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Good luck with it Holly. And if you want to borrow a cocker in the meantime for a trial period you can have mine......but I may never turn up to collect them ;)  only kidding!! :lol2:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
Although it might seem a bit counter-intuitive at first, you might consider getting 2 dogs so they will have each other for company. Rescues and private individuals often have pairs of dogs that have been together forever that they want to rehome together; not always easy  :-\
Just something to think about
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »
Good luck, do look into sitters in your area there are some really lovely people doing this job and the right ones can help you loads with any problems you may have with a rescue dog also.

Keep us posted!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »

I am not retired...i wish  ::)...no way can i  afford not to work and i dont use doggie daycare...so i do find your comments a little patronising  :huh: but i have made compromises in my life for me to have my dogs and spend time with them...like a lot of people  have  ;)....i also dont see it as "pc" to want the best for your dogs and dogs in general  :-\