Author Topic: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Thinking about getting a cocker spaniel...
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
oh dear holly....this is such a contentious issue here...just check out previous posts on the subject and you will find opinion is very much against you on this one...which is fine but unless you are A,retired B,dont have to work or C,have all these facilities around you and can afford them....dont be made to think you are going to have to wait 30yrs before you have a cocker(im sure not every one who posts on here has done this!!!!)

owning and working is difficult but with some help from relatives and friends very possible and you never know when youre working circumstances will change,we both work full time allbeit at different times and tia is fine and quites likes her time on her own(ceems to be only time she sleeps) ;) and is still a loving little pup who isnt sad destructive or uncared for....

they are full of energy loving and very adaptable little sods who have more get up and go than most of us owners and you will know urself if youre lifestyle is suitable to owning a cocker....think long and hard about it but dont be put of by the "pc" brigade who say this situation dosent work.............

I am not retired...i wish  ::)...no way can i  afford not to work and i dont use doggie daycare...so i do find your comments a little patronising  :huh: but i have made compromises in my life for me to have my dogs and spend time with them...like a lot of people  have  ;)....i also dont see it as "pc" to want the best for your dogs and dogs in general  :-\

I agree completely!

One thing I will say is that are you sure you would be able to walk the dog yourself every single day as well as work the long hours that you do. The reason I say this is that when I got Billy I worked local, since then things have changed and I work/travel similar hours to you. I am fortunate in that my OH works less hours and so can come home to Billy etc but Dog walking is very much "my dept" and cooking is "his dept" so it's me who has the job of walking Billy morning & evening . There are some days when I get home after a busy day and an hours travelling and I am ssoooo tired that the last thing I want to do is walk Billy and it is a real chore but it's something that has to be done every single day for the next ten years! I wouldn't be without him but I think if you work long hours it's something you have to consider. ( I won't even mention the additional cleaning your house will require  :005: )

Hope you manage to sort something out  :D

oh and by the way, we got a cocker because OH had springers and we thought cockers were "less energetic" . Wrong! Billy is like a whirlwind!  :005: Each dog is different but you need to be prepared for a potentially very energetic dog  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
Don't give up Holly  ;)

I was dog-less for five years and hated it; eventually, after lots of looking, I changed jobs, with flexi hours, close to home, so that my days were shorter and I could walk home every lunchtime and give me dogs company & exercise  :D

There is always a way if you are patient and look for the opportunities that will better suit a doggy lifestyle  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 09:03:37 AM »
Welcome Holly, I have two cocker's and I have a casual job, so one week I might only do 8 hrs over 2 days yet the next week it might be 3 full 8 hr days.  Monday I did 7 hrs so I can notice different behaviours, when I came home they were all over me (walked first thing in morning) they had their diner and were then on their beds sound asleep for the rest of the night. I don't think they sleep during the day if I'm not home but keep themselves amused with various toys, but like today I get home after 4 hrs and then they follow me from room to room and sleep under my feet when I sit still. So they can adapt, and do sometimes need to be left on there own none wants neurotic dogs that howl if left alone. I'm also lucky that work is only 15 Min's from home so I can come home for lunch. They are extremely loving dogs and I know the worst punishment my dogs get is being put outside on their own for bad behaviour or even worse totally ignored when really bad for a length of time. Just a suggestion have you read the book by Stanley Corren , "Why we love the dogs we do"  its quiet interesting its matching people personalities with dog personalities I've read all of his books, it give a whole new way to look at dog breeds.  While I try to type this did you know that on one small chair I have both dogs, one behind me so I have very little room for my butt  >:( :lol2: and one on my lap so its hard to see the keyboard  :005: and thats still not close enough to keep them happy they do need a lot of people time not just exercise which they also need a lot of.  Good luck with your research
Owned and trained by two mad cockers