Author Topic: Would this be too big a fault to show?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Would this be too big a fault to show?
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »
Paisley is 9 months now, and I know I'm very biased but I think she is such a pretty cocker and I'd LOVE to try her at showing!  The problem is her teeth!  Instead of her having a scissor bite where the top teeth sit just in front of the bottom teeth, her bottom teeth sit just in front of her top teeth IYSWIM?!

So would we get laughed out of the ring?!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline KarenB

Re: Would this be too big a fault to show?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
I think this is called a over shot jaw, their teeth are checked at shows for this problem so don't think you could show.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
Think prob you can't show her as it would be deemed a fault.
(used to show rabbits and it would have been a disqualifying fault in the bunny world, not sure about dogs as don't show mine)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »
Hi

As some of the others have said this is a fault and most judges would pick this up and place her down the line up for it - there are some judges though that would over look this especially judges that didn't really know the finer points of a Cocker Spaniel  ;) ;) ;)  I would avoid Champ Shows but maybe you could have a go at a few Open Shows or Limit Shows.  I have a friend who has a Cocker with a slightly under shot top jaw and she has been placed in classes under Hound Judges  ;)

HTH

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:36:22 PM »
At what age will it be clear to see if your dog/puppy will have an overshot jaw?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline KarenB

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »
I am led to believe you should wait till your dog has it's adult teeth but if it is a over show jaw then this would be present as a puppy.

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
Paisley had it when she was 8 weeks, not sure when the breeder actually noticed it but I presume pretty early on!  I heard they could grow out of it, but at 9 months now I'm guessing it's not going to happen!

I will possibly try paisley in a few open/limit shows then!  Off to find some in our area!  Maybe we'll just watch a few first as I've never been to a cocker show before!  ::)
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
I am led to believe you should wait till your dog has it's adult teeth but if it is a over show jaw then this would be present as a puppy.

what other 'jaw' faults are there?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »
If the bottom teeth overlap the top teeth, that's undershot not overshot (overshot is when the top teeth protrude too far over the bottom teeth). This site has some photos of mouth/teeth faults which are quite useful : http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/orthodontics/pet_orthodontics.htm

As Dessie says, any mouth fault can be difficult to get away with in the show ring, specially at a higher level, as most judges do know that a scissor bite is needed in a gundog & mouth faults are easy to spot. That's not to say you shouldn't have a go at the smaller shows though and see what happens ;)

Jane

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
Think there is undershot and overshot, think under is when bottom jaw sticks out more than top, over is when teeth stick out too far.  (could be wrong),
My son is awaiting his brace - he has a mix of the two! One tooth is behind bottom row, one is too far in front - symptom of overcrowding and 'funny' jaw shape I suppose there must be a doggy equivalent too.

(Sorry posted same time as JaneS)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:54:28 PM »
If the bottom teeth overlap the top teeth, that's undershot not overshot (overshot is when the top teeth protrude too far over the bottom teeth). This site has some photos of mouth/teeth faults which are quite useful : http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/orthodontics/pet_orthodontics.htm

As Dessie says, any mouth fault can be difficult to get away with in the show ring, specially at a higher level, as most judges do know that a scissor bite is needed in a gundog & mouth faults are easy to spot. That's not to say you shouldn't have a go at the smaller shows though and see what happens ;)

Makes more sense with photographs! The scissor bite is different to what i thought! Thanks for that!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:29:35 AM »
At what age will it be clear to see if your dog/puppy will have an overshot jaw?

By the time the adult teeth come through.

Mouth faults are not always evident as baby pup's. What looks like a perfectly normal mouth/bite at 8 weeks can change and all sorts of faults can appear by the time the adult teeth come through.

You could have a go at the smaller shows and see if you like showing.

Good luck :blink:

http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »

Jarvis has a fault i've never seen or heard of in another dog ::) he has an extra canine tooth just inside the other one, he had perfect puppy teeth too, the second tooth was only there in his adult set. >:(

You can see it in this photo:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »

Jarvis has a fault i've never seen or heard of in another dog ::) he has an extra canine tooth just inside the other one, he had perfect puppy teeth too, the second tooth was only there in his adult set. >:(

You can see it in this photo:

My friend has had this happen a few times with her GSD's in a line that she imported for Germany....Originally the vet thought it was a retained baby tooth but its happen 3 times now down this lines sooo ph34r....Bit of a poo with GSD's as well as the german judges count their teeth!

Forgot to add........Gorgeous piccie Jarvis :luv: personally i think it makes him special :luv:
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
My friend has had this happen a few times with her GSD's in a line that she imported for Germany....Originally the vet thought it was a retained baby tooth but its happen 3 times now down this lines sooo ph34r....Bit of a poo with GSD's as well as the german judges count their teeth!

Forgot to add........Gorgeous piccie Jarvis :luv: personally i think it makes him special :luv:

Ooooh, so it does happen with other dogs. I don't think his parents had them, so must've been some sort of throwback. His breeders also told me it was a baby tooth ::) which i knew it wasn't 'cos it looks completely different. I think it makes him extra special too. :luv: He also had a wotsit missing, so i used to joke that his genes got confused. :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).