Author Topic: Junior handling  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Junior handling
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »
Can anyone recommend a book on junior handling?  Emily entered her first JH class on Saturday and it was an interesting experience!  She came out of the class asking lots of questions about what she should do in different circumstances and I didn't know the answers.  A reference book would help us both!!

The girl who won the class was the best handler I have ever seen - adult or child and she was only 11.  Awesome!  Emily really enjoyed it and the judge was lovely - he spoke to each of the children and gave them some individual advice, which was really helpful.  It was lovely to watch the youngsters with their dogs.                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Junior handling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 11:35:35 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Emily enjoyed it! I have to warn you though...it’s like breed showing it’s a drug! Once you start you just cannot stop!  :D
There are lots of junior handling books out at the mo (however not all of them are useful). :roll:

I feel that the most useful book which goes into a lot of detail about the skills used, presentation, the patterns etc. Is ‘Junior Handling The White Way' by Marina White (ex pro Junior handler). It is a detailed book based on Marina’s personal experiences – which is quite good as she was very successful… she won Junior Handler of the year in 1998.

It might be a good idea to have a good look at the kennel club web site on YKC (Young Kennel Club) Its – www.the-kennel-club.org.uk Although it doesn’t go into detail! :(  There are not many web sites that offer advice and detailed pattern and info. My sister and I are presently putting together a web site (although it is currently taking a back seat – because of my Exams) :D  Will let you know when it is up and running! :wink:  It may offer quite a lot of help, as all the patterns will be based around my cocker- Harvey! Heehee! (He enjoyed posing for the camera! - got plenty of treats!) :lol:
Hope this helps :D
Nic x                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Junior handling
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »
Hi

Junior Handling is quite big in the Channel Islands and the Jersey Junior Handlers have their own website - here is the link http://www.freewebs.com/jjha/index.htm Emily might find it useful.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Junior handling
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
Many thanks, Nikki and Dessie.  I will get that book - I have seen it on Amazon, but didn't know which of the many on offer were any good.  Thanks for the information about the websites, which we have checked out.  What a brilliant club Jersey Juniors sounds to be!  Pity we aren't closer, otherwise we would definitely be regulars!!  My mind boggles at frog racing though :shock:  :shock:  :!:  :!:

Let us know when your website is up and running, Nikki.  I'm sure Harvey is a great model!

Thanks again

sue and Emily (not forgetting Tilly)