Author Topic: New young handler - results now in  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
  • Winning The Gundog JHA Semi-Finals 2011
New young handler - results now in
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
hi as most of you know i'm jaspersmum's (jenny's) daughter.

I've got an open show on monday, but i really don't know what to wear for the Young handler class.
I've got Heidi ready for it. But not me!
I've got my black school trousers and shoes but don't know what top!
My Mum's taking me shopping to buy a top.
But:
What sytle?
What colour?

Meg

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: New young handler
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
How exciting - i think one of these shirts with ruffles - they are fashionable but still very posh/formal and gives off the righ image IMO - a crisp white one would look cool!!

HTH

L&O

Ps - i know nothing about showing somy suggestion may not be very helpful!!! Hopefully someone else with showing experience will come along soon!!!

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
By the way - Heidi's Gold

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
Hello,

good luck :D what show will you be going to? where something smart, maybe if you have a smart shirt or something and a jacket :blink:

xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »
Don't forget to wear comfortable shoes that go with your outfit - I have seen young lady handlers looking terribly smart in the ring, let down by wearing scruffy trainers!!!

Very best of luck, but however it goes if you do your best, that is all you can do!
Keep smiling.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Hello,

good luck :D what show will you be going to? where something smart, maybe if you have a smart shirt or something and a jacket :blink:

we will be going to Herford & County Kennel Society

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »
Hi Meg!

I'd just wear something you feel comfertable in! Maybe a shirt? But I'd take a cardi too as it's not the warmest venue on a cool day.

Look forward to seeing you and your mum there!

Good luck, don't get too nervous though! If your unsure of anything, just let me know and I'll help you out before you go in! ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:59:08 PM »
Grief, don't you wish your kids could spell - that's Hereford & County Kennel Club at Bromyard Equestrian Centre. http://dogshowprinting.co.uk/entry-forms-schedules/view-category.html?mosmsg=The+document+must+be+published+before+downloading.

And please, no telling her that designer labels are needed  ::)

Thanks for the offer Chelsea - we'll be looking for you  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
Hi Meg!

I'd just wear something you feel comfertable in! Maybe a shirt? But I'd take a cardi too as it's not the warmest venue on a cool day.

Good luck, don't get too nervous though! If your unsure of anything, just let me know and I'll help you out before you go in! ;)

Mum bought me a junior handling book a few weeks ago, it's called 'Junior Handing The White Way' so thats a big help but, what will I actually have to do?

Meg

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »
In our dogs last week, a couple critiques mentioned being disappointed by the way the youngsters were dressed!  :-\

Hope all goes well!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
Hi Meg!

Mum bought me a junior handling book a few weeks ago, it's called 'Junior Handing The White Way' so thats a big help but, what will I actually have to do?

Meg

Sorry it's taken a while to reply, been really busy!

It depends on the judges as to what you need to do. It will probably be similar to what you do at companion shows atm: standing the dog and moving in a triangle.
They may sometimes ask you to move your dog in different shapes (like a T or a reverse triangle)

As you go to more shows, you will learn more and more about how to handle better. That's the way I learnt! And just listen to advise people give you.

Good luck with the shopping and if you think of anything you want to ask, just PM me! ;)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »
Good luck be sure to let us know how you get on :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
Hi Meg,Glad to see you are going in for the handling,as long as you wear something smart,but comfortable you should be okay.I was always told to get a colour (trousers)to highlight your dog I.E if you are showing a black cocker then dont wear black trousers else you loose the dog when standing it in front of you.looking forward to seeing you and the family on monday,its my birthday and i cant think of a better way than to spend it at a dog show!!!!   BEV

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
No advice, but just wanted to wish you luck :D

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
looking forward to seeing you and the family on monday,its my birthday and i cant think of a better way than to spend it at a dog show!!!!   BEV

Obviously we entered for the open class before the deedline and I know they had the entry because Jon sent me schedule for the Companion show - will we get our ring number when we get there? Do we just present ourself to the secretary? How early should we get there as Cocker puppy first in their ring I think  :huh:  

Looks like there will be a few COLers there  :D  Have you been before, there are an amazing amount of classes for one indoor arena that I wondering how every one will actually move!

We will probably take Jasper too and do the Companion classes provided we can tell when/where the handler classes will be.  

Thank you for all the advice and pms (and MSNs with Meg) much appreciated and puts the book she's reading into something she can make sense of.  Looks like we might go to a little fun show on Saturday to get a little practise before Mondays show.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie