Author Topic: An Insurance Renewal Question. (Sort of)  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
An Insurance Renewal Question. (Sort of)
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
Just received my renewal from Halifax and it's increased by £56.18 to £205.46 per year, £17.12 per month - I don't even think it's taken in to account the claim for Indy's burn because that's not been settled yet so it's quite a hike in price.

I've done a few searches and More Than's coming in at £143.88 for the year, £11.99 per month with slightly better cover and the only downside is the excess is £10 more, but if I buy it through a cashback site I get £20.

More Than don't ask if your pet's received any other treatment like a lot of the others do, (prices were astronomical when I put the details in), there's a lot of info regarding pre-existing conditions which wouldn't be covered but her burn's healed well and wouldn't come under any of them.

I think I'm thinking it's too good to be true - is there something I'm missing?   :huh:

Also, if I don't renew with Halifax, will it make any difference to my claim being settled?

Offline little_jack

Re: An Insurance Renewal Question. (Sort of)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
Hope I am reading this right and understanding what you want to know, fingers crossed I can help cos I used to work for More Than. A burn would be considered as an accident/injury and even though there was treatment received this (and I am guessing a claim), it is not considered as a pre-existing condition so, with More Than, does not effect your premium (as More Than only consider pre-exisitng conditions).  Some insurance companies, as you have found, will take into account everything and adjust the price accordingly. As for Halifax, I would presume that if you have already processed the claim and it is during the current policy you have with them, then there should be no difficulty in settling with them regardless of if you renew or not. This is just what I can remember and always double check. With regards to it being too good to be true, just be thorough in checking the details I guess. When i spoke to customers some felt that £7000 per condition for life of policy was not enough cover. The prices for pet insurance were quite competitive when i worked there. Hope this is some use and I havent just been totally random  :blink:

Offline OscarMurphy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
Hi,

We use Virgin to insure both of ours.  I spent quite a while looking into the policies/prices and found Virgin not only offer the best cover but also the best price.

Never had to claim (and hope I never do).. but based on the service/price, I'd recommend them.

Oh.. and the more policies you take with them, the more discount they offer (I think its 5% discount for every additional policy)  http://uk.virginmoney.com/pet-insurance/

One last thing.  While we shopped round etc, we did try More Than.  Beware - once this firm have your details they bombard you with junk mail - I am very careful who I give permission to send 'offers etc' and I did not ok this firm.  Seems they ignored my wish & I now receive regular sales/offers through the post.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »

One last thing.  While we shopped round etc, we did try More Than.  Beware - once this firm have your details they bombard you with junk mail - I am very careful who I give permission to send 'offers etc' and I did not ok this firm.  Seems they ignored my wish & I now receive regular sales/offers through the post.

I'm pretty sure our insurance for Honey is with More than - we don't get any junk mail from them at all....
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Vera Doc

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
Have you tried http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/

Just a thought!

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
I Just got a quote for Lucy from Morethan - £191.88 (15.99 month) for £7000 per condition for life XS £70

Looks ok untill you realise you have to pay the excess of £70 for every condition claimed for each year, so if the condition requires treatment for 10 years you will pay £2618.80 (£191.88 x 10 + 10x£70xs) compared to Healthypets £788 (£73.80 x 10 + 1x £50xs) a difference of £1830.8 even allowing for the fact that HP cover is only £5000 per condition we are still in break even territory and it will swing further in HP's favor if there is more that 1 claim running. note I havent taken into account the increase in excess with morethan that would apply when the dog reaches 7 (you have to pay 20% of the bill in addition to the £70 XS) this would make HP the winner

So i'm going to be sticking with Healthy pets for Lucy's cover

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss