Author Topic: Handling  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Handling
« on: June 03, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »
As a potential novice shower when I get my next pup (which I am still thinking about, but leaning towards a YES :lol: ), just how important is the handling in the ring... obviously a good handler/ringcraft experience is designed to bring out the best in the dog (behaviour, posture... what else?), but do judges mark down for 'bad handling', and if so, what constitutes bad handling?                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Handling
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 04:29:08 PM »
Thats a very good question. Handling is a big part of showing. Judges should not mark down for bad handling but when it comes to two dogs of equal quality then the best handled dog wins. as well as the best trimmed dog would win over a not trimmed dog.

A good handler (IMO) is beside one who brings out the best in the dog someone who is alert and keeps a constant eye to the judge. If the judge takes a short glimpse out in the ring while judging a dog on the table you must be aware that your dog doesn't look like a hunchback. When you run around in the ring you must show your dog in the best tempi so its movements will be correct. Not all dogs are handled in the same tempo.
Its very individual.

A good handler is also a person who knows how to hide the dogs faults.                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Handling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 08:17:40 PM »
Don't worry about it Mike :wink: . I would say handling is very important, as the grooming and presentation of yourself is equally important. It is very much an overall picture (a finished article) :) .

Mike, I would say that probably the best thing you can do is...when you visit champ shows (did you mention that you are going to spectator at Windsor?) Well if you are (or any other champ show) watch the professions in action. That way you will pick up tips and ideas.

The great thing about handling is, with practice you can improve and you can always carry on learning and picking up new skills :D .

Don’t let it put you off – it’s really nothing to fear. The best place to start is at ringcraft, you usually find that people are very helpful with basic ring training.Then just practice the skills you have learnt. As Sarah stated every dog is different, so the speeds that they show etc vary. So once you have learnt ring skills them it’s a case of bonding with your dog and discovering the techniques that work best for the pair :wink: .                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Handling
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 10:13:28 PM »
I'm going to a handling Demo on Sunday  :shock: not sure if I'm taking Butty with me yet...or borrowing someone else's cocker  :wink:  but I agree with the others handling is quite important, you need to be able to show your dogs best assests off and almost become invisible to the judge  :)  I found ringcraft very good. Nerves can play a big part...I have only done a couple of companion shows and consider myself a confident person and even I got butterflies  :lol:                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Handling
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 10:15:28 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will be at Windsor again, Nikki - Crufts aside, it's my favourite show, and there's a few people I need to see.

I'm definitely intending to give showing at least a go, and see how I get on. Although I dont really like being the centre of attention, I'm not exactly shy either, so I'm not too worried about being in the ring itself - and I will of course go to ringcraft to learn all about it. At Crufts this yr, there were a few handlers who I thought really stood out in the cocker ring, the most notable thing about them was how completely in synch they were with their dog, it was pretty awesome to watch. Considering Daisy still shakes her head when I ask her to sit, I'll have a long way to go!  :lol:

Let me know how you find the demo Gilly :D