Author Topic: Healthy Pets Insurance: It was inevitable.....  (Read 6655 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Healthy Pets Insurance: It was inevitable.....
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
....that they would eventually hike their premiums. They have been really good for the past few years and premiums have hardly changed at all, even though Fern turned 9 in June. 

The excess has gone up from £50 to £65, which is in line with most others on this I think. So that's fair enough.

I expected a rise this time, but not  127%  :o  >:( . Yes -that's right, 127% -more or less. The monthly premium was £13.70. If I were to renew in October it will cost £31.18 for the same cover.

Serves me right for being so smug on other threads doesn't it?  :embarassed:

I think  :-\  I might be taking a leaf out of other COLers books after all. I could put a lump sum in a savings account that pays the best interest, label it 'Dog Health' and set up a monthly standing order to pay in the equivalent of my (pre-hike)  premiums.

My only concern is that although I have full buildings  and contents insurance with liability cover and it would cover me if Fern bit someone for example. It doesn't cover me if she were to run out into the road and cause an accident  :huh: .

I wouldn't find it so easy to insure Fern elsewhere now as she is nine years old, despite her good history.  :-\ They've got me over the proverbial barrel haven't they?

Hmmm decision decisions........

If any of you were thinking of changing to Healthy Pets and have had a good recent quote that is still valid I suggest you take it up now. At least you will have escaped this years premium hike. Just be prepared for the renewal and shop around just before it expires. I don't see much difference in any Pet Insurance companies quotes now.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Re: Healthy Pets Insurance: It was inevitable.....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
Blimey!  That is quite some increase. 

I am waiting for Lola's renewal to come through from Petplan so goodness know what increase there will be there!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
Blimey!  That is quite some increase. 

I am waiting for Lola's renewal to come through from Petplan so goodness know what increase there will be there!

to be honest petplan have usually just done a slow steady increase and it seem to be the ones who were doing the really cheap deals that have gone up so much in the past few years
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
Yikes  :o   do you think it's because of Fern's age though HD? Because Rodaidh's HP policy renewed a couple of weeks ago, he has the gold cover and although the excess went up the actual premium is still less than £6 per month and that's after the hooge claim for his LP surgery as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:03:20 PM »
sam had his his renewal in july, so we must have missed the hike in insurance costs for this year at least!

a rather large increase though!! ::)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
Yikes  :o   do you think it's because of Fern's age though HD? Because Rodaidh's HP policy renewed a couple of weeks ago, he has the gold cover and although the excess went up the actual premium is still less than £6 per month and that's after the hooge claim for his LP surgery as well.
It must be partly that Nicola. It's just a shame that they don't take into account previous history when setting premiums, just the age.
I rang them and was told that they have changed their underwriters, because on review the previous underwriters(Axa Insurance UK)) wanted to increase all premiums even higher, so they shopped around and are now underwritten by AMTrust International underwriters Ltd.
They also said that I am 'living in an expensive area',  ::) So why has it taken them three years to  realise that for doGs sake?
happydog

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »

My only concern is that although I have full buildings  and contents insurance with liability cover and it would cover me if Fern bit someone for example. It doesn't cover me if she were to run out into the road and cause an accident  :huh: .

Are you sure  :huh:  does it specifically exclude this.  If you let me know who you are with, I'll double check the t&c's  ;)  

How are you going to manage without your commission  ph34r :005:  

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »

Are you sure  :huh:  does it specifically exclude this.  If you let me know who you are with, I'll double check the t&c's  ;)  

How are you going to manage without your commission  ph34r :005:  
I rang and asked them specifically, before posting michelle. I am insured through Key Connect with Equity Red Star.

Just as well I wasn't on commission :shades: . I'd have to hand it all back ... ph34r
happydog

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
 as you i'm driving myself mad at the mo about insurance why does  pet insurance have to be so much more trouble then any other insurance  >:(.
tried to get support from hubby who just says "I leave that department to you, just get the best one"  >:(
no help >:( ::)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Rubysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »
I got my Healthy Pets renewal today and its gone up from £7 to £13 a month, not a massive amount but still nearly double!!  I've just spent the last hour getting quotes off the internet and tbh I can't beat £13 for the same cover............think I must have just got a bargain last year  ;)
Andrea & Ruby

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »
mmm strange. Cant find a Key Connect policy for Equity, it isnt a scheme through Brokers Heath Lambert is it ??  Have looked at a standard Equity household policy and from the brief scan of it that I have had,the only LIABILITY exclusion is

animals other than your pets;
– animals of a dangerous species and livestock as
defined in the Animals Act 1971 (other than
horses used for private hacking);
– dogs listed under the Dangerous Dogs Act
1991 or the Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland)
Order 1991, or any amending legislation;

May be worth another call to them  :-\

Offline Dark Side

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 07:47:21 PM »
i dont know if they are still doing it but more than is 11.99 a month for 7,0000 cover but again might depend on your post code worth trying though.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
mmm strange. Cant find a Key Connect policy for Equity, it isnt a scheme through Brokers Heath Lambert is it ??  
Sorry, Key Connect is a trading name of Heath Lambert Ltd

i dont know if they are still doing it but more than is 11.99 a month for 7,0000 cover but again might depend on your post code worth trying though.
I've just tried to get an online quote but it kept giving out the wrong address and then wouldn't let me edit it. Finally it refused to recognise that I had typed/retyped my postcode  ::)
happydog

Offline Dark Side

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »
could type your full address in yourself??

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
could type your full address in yourself??
No. It wouldn't accept it as my proper address and kept defaulting to the one it thought I should have  ::) . I've only lived here 11 years  :lol2:
happydog