Author Topic: Any volunteers to contribute to a sticky thread to help newbie show goers?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
Would any of you experienced show people be kind enough to contribute to one to help newbie show goers.  I've asked the moderator if its possible to create one but as I am a newbie I'm not the right woman for the job  :005:

I know there is a lot of good advice on here already but thought perhaps a one-stop shop of tips and hints (the basics) would be a really useful starting point for people starting absolutely from scratch:  ;)  So I've thought of some things which I think would be helpful though others may have other ideas as well  :blink:

a) Ringcraft classes: what they are and how to find one near you.
b) Links to useful websites which give information about shows and the booking system.
c) Good places to shop and a list of basic equipment.
d) Something on conformation - perhaps a link to the kennel club breed standard.
e) A link to the breed society.
f) Something about judging - how do judges make an assessment of each dog against the breed standard?  How do they differentiate when there are so many nice dogs - I suppose I mean by this what are the finer points that make the difference between a good dog and an outstanding one.  That kind of thing.
g) What are the most common mistakes which novice handlers may fall into and how to avoid them.
h) Etiquette: are there any unwritten rules - for example - if placed at second or third place when do you leave the ring - is it ok to ask the judge for feedback after the class - perhaps as a frequently asked questions list.
i) Useful books - such as clicker training for showing - books on the cocker spaniel - where to get year books etc.

If anyone has the time to pick out these themes and put a post on here about them, I will ask the moderator if it is ok to make it a sticky thread so newbies can dip into it.  If you are able to contribute thank you in advance  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Brilliant idea  :D  We've been lucky to have a few individuals who've helped us but I'm conscious that the questions I ask are probably stupid from time to time  ph34r

Can I be very cheeky and on behalf of the junior members who are doing Junior handling - any tips for that would be good, although I know that there is the www.juniorhandling.co.uk website and Marina is brilliant at answering more stupid questions, knowing good things to join ie YKC/JHA, points scoring for the YKC and Richmond and Crufts qualification, how etc etc  :embarassed:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline KarenB

I think this is a great idea Anne, would the thread allow individuals to ask questions as well? Having read some books and tried to observe at the shows is okay, but listening to some experts or more experienced handlers would be  brilliant.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Good idea Anne.  :shades:

As some of you know, I need all the help I can get with Asbo  ph34r . Watching with interest.  ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
I do think this is a good idea in principle but you've asking for an awful lot of things to be covered - there have been whole books written around these sort of questions :005: I'm sure we could organise a sticky article to cover the basics but I don't think we would want something too big and longwinded - a short FAQ to act as an introduction to showing would be fine (following the example of sticky threads on the other boards) but anything more detailed is better off being discussed on the Showing board as normal. Alternatively, we could have a couple of stickies covering different aspects of showing (eg separate one for Junior Handling) but ideally we need people to volunteer to do this and then submit their proposed sticky for mod approval first, rather than dive in with their contributions on this thread ;)

Thanks
Jane

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
oooo I know what you mean Jane - I guess thats because there is soooo much to learn - perhaps for some of it book recommendations would be sufficient which I guess could be a sticky thread in its own right together with internet links  :005: Good idea Jane S for people to draft something for approval  ;) 

Perhaps anyone who is able to contribute something could say which topic they would like to do so others can choose a different one before sending it to Jane for mod approval - that would save anyone wasting time by doing the same as some one else  ;)  Jane please say is this is ok with you  :lol:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
A basic Introduction To Showing FAQ is in the pipeline but it will be quite brief and will contain links to more info/books so people can find out more that way. It won't cover Junior Handling so if anyone wants to do a mini FAQ on JH, that would be great - just get in touch with any of the Mods :blink:
Jane

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Thank you Jane

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

jarbaha

A basic Introduction To Showing FAQ is in the pipeline but it will be quite brief and will contain links to more info/books so people can find out more that way. It won't cover Junior Handling so if anyone wants to do a mini FAQ on JH, that would be great - just get in touch with any of the Mods :blink:
oh wow, fantastic idea  :D.
thank you jane
love terri
x

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers

Brill - thanks Jane - I am sure lots of people will find it really helpful  :lol: