Author Topic: Aukarty - good food for any cocker?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Aukarty - good food for any cocker?
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:30:06 PM »
Hi

I've feed my two on JWB duck and rice.  Because my two are staying with my parents for a while (I'm in the process of selling my house to buy my dogs a house with a field!), they want to feed my two and their one the same.  Molly's happy eating JWB, but my parent's have been told by lots of people that Aukarty is just as good for half the price (but it is sold vat-free for working dogs?). So they have bougt a bag and are feeding it today.  

Speaking to my mother tonight, both my two have eaten enough of the food for fully working border collies!  

Once I get my mother to feed the right amount  :D ,  is the 'Adult' one OK for Pip, an active cocker aged about 7, and a lazy, very slightly overweight bitch aged 5.  I have no problems with it for Fletch, as he's half working and doesn't put on a ounce.

Or should I (and my parents) stick with JWB?  The cost difference doesn't matter to me.

Helen                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 08:15:08 AM »
I fed both mine on the puppy version of this food until they were 9 months old and both are non-working but I then changed over to Burns which is probably no help whatsoever.

Personally I don't think it would matter as long as you feed the right amount. I'd have thought if you want to get one of them to lose weight then you'd need to feed less than the amount it says on the bag (I had to do that with Ruby after she was spayed). I've found its easier to keep the weight off Ruby now she's on Burns (she lost just over a kilo recently) and I can give her the full amount rather than cutting back as is normal for spayed bitches.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:31:47 AM »
Autarky seems to suit a lot of dogs but like every food on the market, it won't suit every dog. We tried it a while ago & found we had to feed more to keep our dogs at the weight we like them to be so you might find that Pip, your more active boy, will need quite a bit more Autarky than the lazy girl :wink: But then again I've read on other forums that Autarky is good if you want to put weight on a dog so my experience with it is obviously not universal :lol:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 05:42:24 PM »
Its interesting that you say that Jane, Blue eats Autarky and his coat is always lovely and shiny on it but....... I have always had a little concern about Blues weight and put it down to the fact that he is quite a picky eater :roll:

I have been mixing the Autarky with Naturediet for about 6 months now and funnily enough he has put a little more weight on so this would probably suggest that you are right about the weight on Autarky.                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
We had the same problem with Nell, she was on Autarkey and put weight on as well.
We changed her to Burns and Nature Diet, and she looks just right.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~