Author Topic: First Ringcraft  (Read 1817 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
First Ringcraft
« on: July 01, 2004, 04:51:07 PM »
We are taking Abby to her first ringcraft on Monday evening and I was just wondering what I should take with me.  I have been to watch once before but it was a rally night? (If anyone wants to explain that to me too :lol: ) and everbody seemed to have lots of kit with them sprays, brushes, combs etc I won't need all that on my first night as Abby doesnt have much coat yet anyway I  :shock:  So far my only purchase towards this has been a slip lead.

Michelle                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
First Ringcraft
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 05:06:27 PM »
I don't think you'll need to take anything except Abby, her lead, perhaps some treats for your pocket and a poo bag in case of "accidents" :wink:   Normally when we first take a pup to ringcraft we will just sit & watch for the first class to let pup take it all in & then maybe have a go at the next class. A rally I would guess is like a match which is a competition rather than a normal ringcraft class so don't worry, you won't be expected to be armed with your grooming kit :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
First Ringcraft
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 05:17:04 PM »
Is it Wigan ringcraft you are going to? If so there are a few cocker people who take their dogs. Never been though, as my mum and dad co run Houghton ringcraft :roll:
Well...when we go, I just take the dog/s, lead/s, a cage, a brush. O and some treats :P ! That's about it really :) .
Have a good time :D ; I'm sure Abby will love the experience :wink: .
Michelle, did you want to know what a rally night was?
Edited to say...O yeah I forgot about the poo bags :shock: - my mum always has her coat n bag full with em :lol: !                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
First Ringcraft
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 09:13:28 PM »
Thanks Jane/Nic,

Didn't think I would need to take much but when I went to watch everybody seemed so prepared  :shock:

Yes Nikki it is Wigan ringcraft but when I went the other night there weren't any cockers :(  I wasn't going to take Abby's crate as it is just across the road from where I live.

Poo bags aaah I have pockets full of them and my handbag, I have learnt the hard way that you can never have to many :lol:

Thanks again

Michelle                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
First Ringcraft
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 09:29:31 PM »

Yes Nikki it is Wigan ringcraft but when I went the other night there weren't any cockers :(

O rite. Well if they have had a show at the weekend sometimes ppl don't tend to go :? . Hope, there will be more cockers there on Monday, for Abby to socialize with :wink: .
If ours haven't been before, we tend to do the same as Jane; by leaving them in the cage for the first half of the night. But even when we do go I get stuck behind the Kitchen anyways, so they don't get over trained :roll: .                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
First Ringcraft
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 07:12:46 PM »
Good luck for Monday Abbey and Michelle.  Be a good girl for mummy Abbey  :D                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
First Ringcraft
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi,
I used to take Penny to the Orrell ringcraft lessons. All you need is your dog, a lead,treats if you want and a poo bag. You will be shown how to walk with your dog and how they stand and you will probably be told that you will need to invest in a proper show lead. I found every one very helpful, there are a few people with cockers and I found they all had their own views on showing a cocker. I listened to them all and then made my own choices from there.

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
First Ringcraft
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 05:06:43 PM »
Hi,
I used to take Penny to the Orrell ringcraft lessons. All you need is your dog, a lead,treats if you want and a poo bag. You will be shown how to walk with your dog and how they stand and you will probably be told that you will need to invest in a proper show lead. I found every one very helpful, there are a few people with cockers and I found they all had their own views on showing a cocker. I listened to them all and then made my own choices from there.

From Karen

Thanks Karen,

We are really looking forward to it.  Do you still show your dogs? We first started getting interested in showing a few months back and it started out as being a nice hobby for my 8 year old now we are both hooked and can't wait until we can do some shows with Abby (Who is already a winner in our eyes).

Michelle

Michelle                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
First Ringcraft
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 11:22:25 AM »
No I don't show her now. The last show she did was The Cheshire show last summer, after that we had to stop everything whilst we had an extension put on the side of our house, 6mths later when I finally got back to ringcraft classes, she didn't seem as keen. If I'd have been more experienced I might have persued it more but I just left it thinking if she has a litter I'll try again then.

I was always told not to take showing too seriously as sometimes it can be a case of who you know and not what your dog looks like.

Also remember this, at the end of the show you will always come home with the best dog. (no matter how blind the judge was on the day!)

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
First Ringcraft
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:04:35 AM »
Well I take my hat of to everybody that show's their cockers :D  I was exhausted last night as so much to take in :lol:  Abby walked straight in as if she owned the place and then promptly sat down and refused to walk it was only after a nice lady gave me some garlic sausage that she started to move but she was a bit in awe of it all, (the first time I have seen anything phase Abby) She loved going on the table and wanted to kiss everbody who touched her :roll:  Met some other cocker owner there as well, and a lovely 5 month old liver roan.  I was even given a booklet for homework :roll:

Michelle