Author Topic: Insurance - question  (Read 1724 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Insurance - question
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »
Its time to re new Ollies insurance we may look at using another insurer I'm not sure.

When I've been looking some site ask this question

Is your Dog currently ill or injured or has your Dog ever been examined or treated by a vet for anything other than routine vaccinations or neutering?

No Ollie has seen the Vet re a limp/hop on his back leg. This seems to be recurring and i think he will have to go back. The first time he went it was treated as a sprain - no claim made.

Would this been seen as a exisiting condition? And if it turned out to be more serious and we had moved insurer's could we claim for it?

Any advice?

L&O x

Offline black taz

Re: Insurance - question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
think this would be considered an existing condition.  But ring round a few and just ask the question.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
You should never fail to disclose this sort of thing, to avoid the insurers relying on the legal principle of "utmost good faith". This means that they can vitiate the contract if they find you did not disclose something they decide is relevant. Not only does this mean you don't get a payout, but it can also affect other proposals which ask " have you ever had insurance cover declined, or  has an insurer failed to pay". The safest way is to say on the proposal form exactly what has happened. Even if the new insurer decides to exclude the risk, or accept the risk with a higher premium, you do not risk having any claim even on something different turned down. Sorry to be a bit legalistic. I might not know much about how to train the smelly spaniel beside me, but I was a lawyer for 30 years!
I have stayed with my original insurer for this reason!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »
I would say that this will be classed as a pre existing condition and wouldn't be covered by a new insurer. A previous problem with a limb, even a sprain, is likely to be viewed as having some likelihood of a claim in the future. Not saying that is going to be the case with Ollie its just how the insurer will see it.

Unless you would be able to cover the cost of any resulting bills for that limb then your hands are tied really.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
Thats definitely classed as a pre-existing condition, and as it's still ongoing, a new insurance company  would exclude this.  When I changed insurance company with Dallas a few years ago, I had to state that he had been treated for lip fold dermatitis previously and they said that they would exclude it for a year and if it hadn't recurred in that time then they would retract the exclusion. However, I doubt any company would do this with a current problem.

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline BabyB

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »
When I moved Dylan from Pet Protect to PetPlan many moons ago, the only thing he'd ever had checked out for was a small rash above his 'boy bits' which turned out to be a rash from laying on ants !!

I work for a large insurer so I knew to disclose it.  PetPlan then put skin allergies as an exclusion.

I totally agree with everyone has said.  It's better to tell them every detail and have it as a possible exclusion, than run the risk of the insurer finding out (checking with your vet for history) and getting into trouble.

As with McPhee, that's why I stay with the one insurer.
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
When I moved Dylan from Pet Protect to PetPlan many moons ago, the only thing he'd ever had checked out for was a small rash above his 'boy bits' which turned out to be a rash from laying on ants !!

I work for a large insurer so I knew to disclose it.  PetPlan then put skin allergies as an exclusion.

I totally agree with everyone has said.  It's better to tell them every detail and have it as a possible exclusion, than run the risk of the insurer finding out (checking with your vet for history) and getting into trouble.

As with McPhee, that's why I stay with the one insurer.

Thanks everyone - i knew a pre exisiting condition had to be declared as i deal with insurance myself at work. But wasn't sure if a sprain was classed as a pre exisiting condition as sprains can occur at anytime etc

Thats why i thought to ask as I wasn't sure if they would check vets history etc like BabyB said. Pretty much sounds like our dogs can't really have anything wrong with them no matter how minor which could cause a problem with insurance later on. I do hate how the insurance companies seem to have ways round everything!!!

Think I'll go back to the Vets to see what they say about his 'hop' before any decisions are made!

thanks guys

L&O x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »
Definitely need to disclose everything.  When I had to claim for Indie, the insurance company asked for her complete medical history from day one (the vets sent them a print-out of everything she's been treated for), so there's no point in keeping quiet about any treatment the dog has had.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love