Author Topic: 2009 Ambitions!  (Read 1015 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
2009 Ambitions!
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
Well we/Meg has a few ambitions for this coming year.  If Heidi doesn't get her coat back we are struggling against most of the dogs in her classes but realistically, we can't have a 4th dog, well certainly not in the forseeable future (unless there was an offer we can't refuse  :-\)

So are we raising the stakes too high, Meg's pretty realistic but don't want to raise hopes and have them dashed...

She wants to
1. Enter a benched show (just because)
2. Qualify for Crufts 2010 at Handling and/or YKC members stakes.
3. To get to Richmond (already qualified)

To fulfill the first I can enter the Cocker Spaniel Club show at Malvern (it is only up the road)
To fulfill the second she has to qualify at one of a limited number of Championship or Cruft Qualifying shows and only a few are close, the closest would mean taking her out of school for the day (school wouldn't like it but we'll see), I can probably give her about 3 bites at this particular cherry and she did well at an Open Premier, but everyone going to be aiming at these shows I guess too  :-\
The third is OK provided Heidi doesn't come into season or is ill  ::)

Heidi has to be entered in her breed class at a champ show, even if all we are there for is Handling and Stakes! 

So do we pull out the plugs and go for it, or are people going to laugh at us if we have a dog that's not the same standard as others in the ring?  She is starting to get some coat but could loose it again after the season due to start very soon. (Why did we want a bitch?)

My gut feeling is Everyone has to start somewhere and if you don't try, you'll never know what you can achieve!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Re: 2009 Ambitions!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
Well we/Meg has a few ambitions for this coming year.  If Heidi doesn't get her coat back we are struggling against most of the dogs in her classes but realistically, we can't have a 4th dog, well certainly not in the forseeable future (unless there was an offer we can't refuse  :-\)

So are we raising the stakes too high, Meg's pretty realistic but don't want to raise hopes and have them dashed...

She wants to
1. Enter a benched show (just because)
2. Qualify for Crufts 2010 at Handling and/or YKC members stakes.
3. To get to Richmond (already qualified)

To fulfill the first I can enter the Cocker Spaniel Club show at Malvern (it is only up the road)
To fulfill the second she has to qualify at one of a limited number of Championship or Cruft Qualifying shows and only a few are close, the closest would mean taking her out of school for the day (school wouldn't like it but we'll see), I can probably give her about 3 bites at this particular cherry and she did well at an Open Premier, but everyone going to be aiming at these shows I guess too  :-\
The third is OK provided Heidi doesn't come into season or is ill  ::)

Heidi has to be entered in her breed class at a champ show, even if all we are there for is Handling and Stakes! 

So do we pull out the plugs and go for it, or are people going to laugh at us if we have a dog that's not the same standard as others in the ring?  She is starting to get some coat but could loose it again after the season due to start very soon. (Why did we want a bitch?)

My gut feeling is Everyone has to start somewhere and if you don't try, you'll never know what you can achieve!

IMO there is no such thing as aiming too high.....if you don't then no-one else will.  Breaking these down for you....
for 1) there is not just the Cocker Club at MAlvern thats benched, also WELK's in april and National Gundog and of course Three counties  :D
2) Well its been a very very long time since i took part in these classes and i understand your reluctance  at Meg missing a day at school but are there no weekend shows with these classes?
3) Like you said Meg's already qualified for this show so that's the main battle. Now again its has been double figure years since i last competed at richmond JHA finals but at this time we didn't even own any dogs and i used to handle a family friends goldie, well one year she was in season and we found out that as long as you handled the same breed then i was still able to compete.  Not sure if this is still true these many years later but it may be worth finding our and if yes then to find a back up if possible.  ~I'm sure that there are many people how would gladly offer their dog for Meg, if i was nearer then she could use Otis  :luv:

I wish you both the best of luck this your ambitions for the year ahead  :luv:
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
I say go for it. Thats what me and Tally do and where doing alright. The more we do the more we get the hang of it all. We are learning together as we are both absolute beginners. We don't take it to seriously and I always take the best dog home as they say. Give it a go, you have nothing to loose.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
for 1) there is not just the Cocker Club at MAlvern thats benched, also WELK's in april and National Gundog and of course Three counties  :D
Looks like a benched show won't be a problem - the Cocker Club probably not a starter as she'll be in season again around then  :-\ Just it was one of the first shows we sent to watch and became a dream of hers to be there herself one day - might enter and see if we get there anyway!

2) Well its been a very very long time since i took part in these classes and i understand your reluctance  at Meg missing a day at school but are there no weekend shows with these classes?

I have gone through the list of qualifiers for YKC stakes and Handling and I think we have about 4 - 5 stabs at Crufts qualification and that's travelling a lot further than we'd do by choice.  The best opportunity falls on the day we go on holiday so will have to see if classes are early so we can go away after  ::) Also possible that she'll be in season  >:(

I'm sure that there are many people how would gladly offer their dog for Meg, if i was nearer then she could use Otis  :luv:

I wish you both the best of luck this your ambitions for the year ahead  :luv:

Thank you so much for that, it was good to find out that the dog you handle in JHA classes do not have to be registered to you, they do for the YKC Members stakes!

The diary already looks fairly hectic!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie