Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 6625 times)

Offline MPG

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« on: July 20, 2004, 06:49:43 PM »
Hi there, we are the proud new owners of a beautiful golden boy called Edward (Teddy for short).  I just wanted some advice about Pet Insurance, if anyone can help???  I know that we need to look at policys that offer life cover (rather than just 12 months).  So far I have only found Pet Plan offers life cover but it's sooooo expensive.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!
MPG   :)                    

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »
hi ya we`ve insured Alfie with pet plan and it is not cheap but we went on past experience with pet plan as our cat is insured with them and now he`s diabetic and we have certainly had a fab service from them and our vets kindly deal with them direct so each time he needs treatment i don`t have to pay ,just for a few extra`s that are`nt covered and the excess.my hubby is in insurance and he says the premium you pay is a reflection on the service and cover you will get .i think it`s just a gamble as to what cover you choose and wether you`ll need to claim to it`s full benefits level(maxium payout)

hubby just said check out" More Than" they are suppose to be the next best ,not sure if they cover for life,and as with our cat we`ve sure needed it :lol:                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Pet Insurance
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »
If you put "Pet Insurance" into a search engine, you should get a whole list of companies. It does mean wading through quite a bit but it does allow you to compare premiums and exactly what cover you get for that. Some packages include cover for things like alternative treatments and if you are not into things like that, you can save money by choosing the next package down. Some policies will also lower the premium if you agree to pay a higher excess.

While some policies do say "cover for life", do check that there is not a limit on this. My boys are insured with More Than and yes, it is a cover for life policy, but I can only claim a maximum of 6000 pounds per illness and condition.  Pet Plan for example, have a package where vet fees are unlimited.

One thing though - I wouldn't recommend E&L insurance. You may come across it in your search but they are notoriously difficult for setlling claims and more often than not, claims do not get honoured leaving you to foot the bill.  They are nice and cheap but that is the reason!!!                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 08:11:01 PM »
Hi MPG,

I have both my dog's insured with Marks and Spencers, they offered all the benefits that PetPlan did but was much cheaper and I dont even have to pay an excess!  8)  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 08:18:40 PM »
Hi there

We're with Halifax pet insurance.  Seems like a good policy, but then again, we've never had to claim (touch wood!)  I will review it when we come to getting another pup tho' so if you find a great policy let us know :D .

Cheers

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Pet Insurance
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »
You may want to think about a "puppy fund". Pay maybe £10 a month into a seperate account just for vet bills. We done this with out last dog after the insurance trebled in price. Most years we just paid in without having to dip into it and when he did get ill and needed a lot of vet care, there was plenty there to cover the bills. You do need to be strict with yourselves and maybe set up a standing order from one account to the other to make sure you dont "forget" to pay in.

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Pet Insurance
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 10:13:46 PM »
I have both my dog's insured with Marks and Spencers, they offered all the benefits that PetPlan did but was much cheaper and I dont even have to pay an excess!  

I've just had a look on their website and must admit that the cover is a lot better than More Than.....so much so, that I've just switched them over :wink:  :lol: The no excess swung it for me - and all for 10.66 a month :D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 10:24:10 PM »
I did a lot of searching around, and decided on Sainsburys Pet insurance.. They were very good value, and I had a lovely lady help me with questions and taking out my policey..but that didn't suprise me.. she was also a Cocker Owner...

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 10:55:10 PM »
I took insurance out with Pet Plan for Lottie, because I have it for Goldie.

I have claimed for a lot during Goldies life because of her hip dysplasia, and they have always paid without any problem and very quickly.

It is quite expensive, but I have definitely got my moneys worth with Goldie.

Insurance is something that you never hope to need to use, but when you do it is worth every penny.
I have to be honest though and say I havent looked at other companies, because Pet Plan was recommended by my vet.                    

Offline PennyB

Pet Insurance
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 12:53:39 AM »
I'm insured with petplan (and have been for the past 8 years) and have had no problems.

With pet insurance everyone seems to be getting on the bandwagon these days so it pays to read every bit of small print.

So far they've paid out 3000 for Wilf with out a quibble and he's only just over a year old so a savings plan wouldn't work for him (but then I didn't know that and that is basically it with insurance as we don't know and yet how many of us claim on our household one).

If you just go for a savings plan idea bear in mind what would happen if your dog had an accident that involved other people or your dog was in an incident where he bit someone or destroyed someing very valuable. Most insurance policies insure you for 3rd party for about 1 million pounds just in case you are sued.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Pet Insurance
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 07:42:00 AM »
I was looking at insurance yesterday (ready for when Finley joins us in 5 weeks time!!!!).  I telephone the insurer we  had for Benji and Sam and was quoted £185.88 per year (15.49 per month).  The Marks & Spencer insurance sound good so I wil look into that one, has anyone used Tesco? and does anyone know how much the Sainsbury one is?                    
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline MPG

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 08:20:03 AM »
Dear All,

Thank you so much for all your replies.  I had a look at the Marks & Spencer plan which is excellent - matches and, indeed in some cases, betters Pet Plan with NO EXCESS!!!  Incredible.  So I will be taking out a policy with M&S when our kennel one runs out.

Thanks again for all your help - very much appreciated!
Kind regards,
MPG                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 08:24:51 AM »
Hi Wendy,

I have Piper insured with Marks and Spencers - Whilst I was looking I found that Petplan and Marks and Spencer policies were almost the same but went with Marks as it was cheaper and additional things were covered - ie. hydrotherapy.  In the last few months they have made the policy even better - ie. lower prices and no excess.

Piper has hip dysplasia and so during the last few months we have submitted some pretty heft claims - all of which have been settled promptly with no problems at all  :D

I had to call M&S insurance a few weeks ago and just by chance the lady on the phone actually said that they were Petplan..........So, there you go!

When Piper first came to live with us we debated about insuring her - with hubby saying "Let's not bother..she won't need it" I obviously ignored his advice and thank goodness I did  :wink:

Good luck and make sure you get lifetime cover (hope you never need it)  :wink:                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Pet Insurance
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 08:38:29 AM »
Wow - just checkd out the M & S one - it's not worth having an excess on it - I might just have to switch - although that would infer I had cover - but since Asda stoppd(although they're doing pet insurance again now) I didn't renew :oops:  But M & S is a deffo one! Excellent cover and price.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 09:58:21 AM »
Hi MPG,

I have both my dog's insured with Marks and Spencers, they offered all the benefits that PetPlan did but was much cheaper and I dont even have to pay an excess!  8)  :D

We need to get you commition!! :lol: Looked at the site last night for when Baileys free 6wks insurance runs out - excellent!!  Brogan is with Animalcare at the moment - which I thought was good until I saw this one - will change Broggie over in October. (Animal care have been fantastic for us so far though - paid out very promptly last month when Brogan had his op).                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09