Author Topic: Help in the Ring.  (Read 962 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Help in the Ring.
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
Can anyone give me any advice on getting Tally to trot round the ring properly at all times, well most of the time would be good.   ;) When he does do it well. He trots really nicely, but most of the time he overtakes me and gets exited a little at times. I have tried using treats, but he does tend to jump up at me for them. He sounds so unruly, but he is so not and is a biddable chap. I just need to know how to help him, bless him. I did only try the treats for a short time, so maybe it is worth persisting. I walk him on a halti at home as he can be a bit strong on the lead, although mostly on the way out and is much better on the way back and is always better on his own. He is the best of all my dogs of lead. It's just frustrating as I'm sure we are being marked down because of it. Prob my fault.  ::) Any ideas?
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Oliver21508

Re: Help in the Ring.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »
I've only just started practicing trotting nicely for the ring, and Ollie is good most of the time. I say steady when he's trotting too fast or getting ahead. Seems to calm him down a little. Have you tried that? And also maybe when practicing, if he gets ahead, quickly change direction, then he'll keep beside you as he won't know when you are next moving. If you know what I mean. :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
Don't use treats if they make him too excited. Practice gaiting with you walking, not running, and if he gets ahead of you, turn around and go back and start over. Start out moving slowly, then work your way up to moving faster, as he does each calmly.  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
When I move the dogs, I walk slightly ahead. (I didn't even realise I was doing this till I watched a video back!) But this keeps you in contol of the speed & direction.

It's not the best of video's but here's one of me showing Lacey:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfp9h__TYo

Like the below post, don't use treats if this gets him excited.
Also might be a good idea to start walking him on a lead instead of a halti & correct him on walks. ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Cheers everyone. I will give it a go. We do the trotting in one direction and then turning and going the other way in Ringcraft, which does seem to calm him down and get him moving well. The only thing is when we get the ring you don't do this and he goes back to usual self. My teacher keeps saying get in front of him, but it's not always easy.  :005: I will have to take him out on walks without his halti and try and get him to walk properly. I might look a bit silly walking back and forth, but if it works.  :005: He is very good at being stacked which is something I suppose, although we are novices, so leaning together which isn't always easy. I will keep working on him. Thanks again for all your advice.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx