Author Topic: Any cesar fans out there???  (Read 16748 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Any cesar fans out there???
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
No offence taken :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

Yes that statement is definitely inaccurate. We've had quite a few bitches do this but generally not for longer than a couple of weeks so Penny is exceptionally generous with her food to keep doing it for so long :005: One of our girls (Siani) gets the urge to regurgitate but eats it up again faster than lightning - no danger of her pups ever getting to it before she does :D I think there is a primitive urge in some bitches that makes them do this but others never do it at all or do it but don't connect the urge with feeding of pups (like Siani :D)

Aren't they funny  :005: I have never had one NOT do this... I have to try and feed them away from the pups usually although one of my girls used to take any food she was given into the whelping box without eating it herself first, like they would love a raw carrot  :005:
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:29 PM »
Dogs are not tame wolves. The domestic dog is a separate species that evolved from wolves approximately 14,000 years ago and exhibit behaviors that wolves do not. They also do not display behaviors that wolves do, such as regurgitating food for their young.

That statement is definitely wrong!!  I bred very rarely but I have watched a bitch of mine regurgitate food for her pups and was amazed when the pups' uncle did exactly the same!  They both did exactly the same with her next litter too and I have photos and witnesses to it.  :005:
Spaniels In Need

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 12:17:25 AM »
My sister has just got a puppy - not a cocker I have to say.

It is, naturally imo, biting everything that moves at the moment. It is getting a little rough when playing with hands, and I have advised her if that is the case, to stop the game. I have also advised her to get it used to knowing what is acceptable to bite and what is not, so lots of reward and praise when it bites it chew toy etc and none when it bites their hands.

However her friend has told her that when he bites - which he is going to do for some time - she should make a fist and put it further into his mouth, as he will not like it. Also she should do this with any inappropriate item he bites. I am horrified and told her so.

Why would you do that to an 8/9 week old pup? They all bite at that age.

I think that at this stage it is important for puppy to bite - that he needs to learn bite inhibition and also that he is learning about his environment with his mouth.

I don't know very much about Cesar Milan, apart from what I have seen discussed on here and other forums. I have never had any desire to read his books. I don't know if the above is the type of thing he recommends or not, but I really don't agree with leading a dog through fear. They have to be led with love and kindness, within appropriate boundaries.

But I know many people think I am mad.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
My bitches have regurgitated food for their pups too and would continue to up to 8 weeks if i let them...

Kelly, you say "if I let them."  How did you stop them?  Just curious.

Many many moons ago (1980's) I had a beautiful Dalmatian bitch I bred and she regurgitated for her pups too.  I had thought it was commonplace.  But then that same bitch came into milk for and nursed three kittens I fostered.  The vet told me off about that and I could only stop it by separating Vickie from the kittens at all times.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »

Kelly, you say "if I let them."  How did you stop them?  Just curious.

I just keep an eye on them and if they start to regurgitate (usually starts when the pups get to about 4 weeks) I just remove them from the box, the bitch needs all the nutrients, extra food she can get at this time... also if you have fed her and keep her out of the box for a hour after eating they don't tend to do it so much...
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
OK you all seem to pick up one one statement that might be innacurate but did any one watch the video? any comments? :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
I watched the video and have commented on CM earlier in this thread. Positive reinforcement all the way for me and yes to the ticking time bombs. Like I said I feel he is causing more problems than he is solving. I have yet to see a dog on one of his programs that I would say was CURED.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »
I hadn't warched the video when I posted, but I have now.

I am speechless.

As I said I have never seen a programme or read an his books - I won't feel any more inclined to now.

I can still hear the noise that poor dog he was yanking about was making, and the owner looked horrified. The dog did stop what it was doing eventually, but it looked exhausted and very, very stressed.

Honey is a very anxious dog and i can only imagine the reaction treating her like that would provoke.

He does say "don't try this at home", but what in earth is the point in showing techniques that you cannot try at home, unless it is to glorify yourself and make a name for yourself. Dog Whisperer? I don't think so, I didn't see too much whispering going on. Dog Whispering implies a calm and peaceful technique to me.

Horrified!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
I confess to having watched some programmes. There have been one or two things that I have found useful, such as staying calm ( when I am not too cross with his selective recall) as there have been with other programmes. The biggest issue I had/have, is how many of the US subjects do not appear to exercise their dogs very much, and how on earth to apply his mantra, "exercise, discipline,affection" to such an affectionate dog as a cocker. As to fireworks, I used to have a big brave black cocker. After last fireworks fortnight ( I say that because we had about 2 weeks of them down here) and New Year he is terrified of every bang, even if he hears a gun go off fields away while he is on a cocker mission. Poor poppet. I certainly understand how scary it must be.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
I couldnt bring myself to watch the video - I have seen the programme a few times and have been horrified at the way he "zaps" the dogs in the chest with that bzzzzz noise. My OH  tried it a few times when Purdey was younger ( >:D the cause of many arguments) >:D and she just ended up trying to bite him!

Like KB says, they say "Dont try this at home" and yet the programme is obviously intended as a self-help guide - otherwise why bother showing it?

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
Well Stuffster - thats the question that has to be asked - what is the point of this programme?

Is it to help people to manage their dogs, or does it make for good viewing figures for the channel who show it, and publicity for Cesar Milan.

Me, cynical? Never! ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
OK you all seem to pick up one one statement that might be innacurate but did any one watch the video? any comments? :D

I notice that the dogs all tried to bite Cesar, (and the shepherd did bite the owner instead, this is progress??!!) and while he may be able to deal with it I doubt the average owner could. Bites or even attempted bites can damage the dog-owner relationship severely. Other than the shepherd with the cat, I don't know what the original issues the dogs had and whether biting was a part of the problem  :-\

(KB: maybe you could print this for your sister: http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
I know the chicken was scared stiff, he did nothing to train the dog not to attack the chicken just walked around with it making strange noises, and the clients thought he was amazing.  He did say that they should do some gundog training which would benefit the dog in terms of giving the poor bored dog something to do but as for attacking chickens the dog was just waiting for the right moment.

Isn't the owner of that dog the guy who wrote Marley and Me?

Millie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »
But I know many people think I am mad.

:lol2: I don't know anyone who thinks you are mad  :005:

He does say "don't try this at home", but what in earth is the point in showing techniques that you cannot try at home, unless it is to glorify yourself and make a name for yourself. Dog Whisperer? I don't think so, I didn't see too much whispering going on. Dog Whispering implies a calm and peaceful technique to me.

Totally agree!