Author Topic: HYPER DOG  (Read 1062 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
HYPER DOG
« on: July 30, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »
Hi

I have noticed tht my dog who is now just reaching a year in age is very hyper, he gets walked for about two hours and yet after a little sit down he is up again wanting to play and demanding attention ALL the time.

I feed him Hills Science Plan and IAMS, do you think the dry food could be making him so hyper? Any suggestions?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
HYPER DOG
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:28:36 AM »
Changing to a more natural diet can help with hyperactivity. Why are you feeding 2 different complete foods, just out of interest? It might be better to think about gradually changing over to a food like Burns, James Wellbeloved or Nutro (if you want to stick to a dry food) or Naturediet (wet food). Then again, some dogs need more mental stimulation than others so you might need to think about that, especially if your dog is a Working Cocker or has some Working breeding in his lines. Dogs like that need something to do to occupy their brains as well as their bodies eg agility training, flyball or some other activity. It could also be that the attention-seeking has become a habit - even a negative response from you would be sufficient reward for your dog to carry on doing it. Try completely ignoring the attention-seeking where possible - it may take a while for the message to sink in but dogs won't generally carry on with a behaviour if there is nothing in it for them :wink:

Jane                    
Jane