Author Topic: Anyone with More Than insurance?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Anyone with More Than insurance?
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:18:53 AM »
I have to change my insurance company for Morgan. Currently he's with Halifax who have put his premium up by 57% to just short of £30 a month which makes it too much for me to afford.  I have only been with them for a year, the first year he was with M&S and the same happened there...a huge hike after the first year. He has never visited the vet apart from to get vaccinated.

I've been shopping around and More Than are coming out the best value with a decent policy. What I'd like to know is if anyone has been with them for more than a year and if so was there a huge hike after the first year?

At the moment I can swap and change because he's fit and healthy but if that ever changes I will be stuck with the insurer at the time.

Pet Guard are another option, has anyone been insured by them? If so the same question applies.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Anyone with More Than insurance?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
I was with More Than for a year, but sadly lost my dog after that so can't comment on any increase in premiums.  However, I would watch the excess, which at the time was £70 or 15% (if cost was over £70).  Indies final bill came to just under £4000, so my excess was in the region of £600.  This time around I've gone for insurance with a fixed excess.

Other than that More Than were very good, paid out very promptly (within a week)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »
We were with More Than for the 1st year and moved.  I can't remember exactly what the price increase was, but it must have been significant for us to move too.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »
I've got both of mine with more than, the increase for Coco has been £1.00 per year so far, Breeze only joined me in July so not sure for her. The reason I went with more than is that I had major problems with my previous insurance company.

when I lost my other dog it was very stressful, for 6 six months I didn't know if they were going to pay up for the treatment or hospitalisation which was £50 per day before medication, she was in 7 days ,which I would have paid willingly but when you have paid insurance for 8 years you do expect some return.

Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:49:37 AM »
Watching this with interest as we have changed to More Than from Pet Plan (Ollie) and M & S (Smudge) .In fact just sent off the first claim ...bill was £85.27 so we shall only get £15 after excess taken away. Worried about the % excess...hope it doesn't apply to us -will have to check it out!

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
I was with More than with Bonnie as i also have car and household insured with them. Come the first years renewal there was an increase of over 37% so much for loyalty. I changed to Sainsburys which was less than my first More than premium. The weird thing was that when i went onto the More than website i was quoted a good price but speaking to them on the phone they werent prepared to match their own price and said that i would have to cancel my existing policy and take out a new one for the website price. Weird >:D
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline allylou

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »
Have just changed from morethan. Last year Marley was 11.99 a month, this year it would be 15.99. We have never claimed and Marley is only 3 so i thought that was a big increase.
That said, i think what they offer is competitive with other companies.  :blink:
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »
i changed to Petguard end of last year as i was with Petpals who put up premiums and included a % extra as well >:(. i pay £20.16 for Tilly with petguard and excess is £60 you can tailor make your policy to suit you, i left out overseas cover as she's never need that, not had to claim yet so can't comment on that part. i know Greenbee offer same amount of cover £7000 but there excess is £100 i do know a few people have mentioned that company though, so might be worth checking that one out ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »
Greenbee here - MUCH cheaper than MoreThan for the same cover.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  :D

Have had a look at the points raised and some of you might be interested in what I've found out.

More Than - I checked their excess policy. It is £70 for dogs under 9. For dogs over 9 it is £70 + 20% of the rest of the vet fees.

More Than and Greenbee - They do not provide the same cover. More Than provide £7000 per condition for vet fees where as Greenbee provide £7000 per year for vet fees, that is a huge difference. Personally on that aspect I would prefer the Greenbee policy however on everything else More Than is a better policy for me.  The biggie for me is that Greenbee do not include homeopathy in with their vet fees, it has a separate limit of £1000 per period of insurance. There are other significant differences too.

More Than and Sainsburys - again these policies aren't the same. At surface both cover per condition (MT £7000, S £7500) but Sainsburys cover less under their "Vet Fee" umbrella and have separate much lower limits for certain things.

As always in these things the devil is in the detail. When I first got a dog I thought I'd researched insurance but I now understand that I need to actually study each policy to be able to make a comparison. I guess you pay for what you get. However what I'm hating is how much they catch you with a lower premium and then on its renewal it literally sky rockets.  >:( With four that is no joke.

Looking at your responses and a couple of other cases I know I think I might of spotted something. In the cases I know of it appears that people with more than 1 dog on the policy have a lesser renewal rise.  My other three are with Direct Line (I now know you can get better cover than that) and that doesn't rise too much so far though we'll see in the next few days when their renewal arrives.  I could actually move Max who hasn't had any claims or illnesses so I'm wondering if its worth putting him with Morgan.

Have just changed from morethan. Last year Marley was 11.99 a month, this year it would be 15.99. We have never claimed and Marley is only 3 so i thought that was a big increase.
That said, i think what they offer is competitive with other companies.  :blink:

When you say "this year it would be £15.99" is that what they quoted you as a renewal or is that done yourself through a new quote on their website? I just ask because I'm discovered the two are very very different things which is very annoying and very unfortunate.  >:(

To anyone reading this who is getting a dog and will be looking to insure it I have one bit of advice......study the policies! I am very fortunate in that Max and Morgan have not had a thing wrong with them and have not visited the vets for anything other than vaccinations which means I can move their insurance about without any exclusions.  The view to take when first looking for an insurance policy is that your dog is going to have to stay with that cover for their entire life. If your dog gets an upset tum, which they do from time to time, and you go to the vets you will not ever be covered for an upset tum if you choose to move your policy regardless of whether treatment was needed or whether you made a claim.

I am now driving myself insane with the ins and outs of each policy verses the cost of it. I'm very aware that this could be the last move they can make, not that there's anything wrong with them but you just don't know what's round the corner.

In about four years when my financial situation changes I think I will self insure.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline BabyB

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
I only have experience of Pet Protect - who hiked Dylans premium one heck of a lot - so I changed him to Pet Plan.

All four of mine are with Pet Plan, and yes once they reach the age of 8 you pay a % of the bill too - but when it comes to renewal, none of mine have had much of an increase so I cannot fault them (or for paying out) ;)

Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »

Have had a look at the points raised and some of you might be interested in what I've found out.

More Than - I checked their excess policy. It is £70 for dogs under 9. For dogs over 9 it is £70 + 20% of the rest of the vet fees.

They must have changed their excess in the last year - as Misha was only 1year old when she was ill.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
Hi I have both Honey and Holly insured with More Than and only a few months ago Holly had to have a op for (wait for it WARTS :lol2:) all 4 of them, but the vet bill came in at £150, which after the claim I only had to pay £75. and they paid out straight away, the premiums for both are £15.99 & £14.99. I think which ever company you go with there is aways going to be a bit of swings & roundabouts.what you gain in one way you lose in another.darn thing is that you can't afford not to have one.

Offline allylou

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
When you say "this year it would be £15.99" is that what they quoted you as a renewal or is that done yourself through a new quote on their website? I just ask because I'm discovered the two are very very different things which is very annoying and very unfortunate.

15.99 was quoted as a renewal but i also did an online quote which came in as the same . Also rang them, had a very pleasant conversation but they still quoted the same.  :blink:
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »
When you say "this year it would be £15.99" is that what they quoted you as a renewal or is that done yourself through a new quote on their website? I just ask because I'm discovered the two are very very different things which is very annoying and very unfortunate.

15.99 was quoted as a renewal but i also did an online quote which came in as the same . Also rang them, had a very pleasant conversation but they still quoted the same.  :blink:

That's very reassuring as I've taken out the More Than policy today!  :lol2:

They must have changed their excess in the last year - as Misha was only 1year old when she was ill.

I'm not sure when the policy has changed but it definitely has. I have looked at More Than in the dim and distant past and the policy was rubbish and I disregarded it on sight. Now its one the better ones of its type in my view. It sounds like you had salt rubbed in to your wounds with such a huge excess to stump up at a very sad time.

Thank you all for your input, you helped me form a decision.  :D