Author Topic: How often do your cockers bark?  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Re: How often do your cockers bark?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
Indy barks at the postman, , jehovis witnesses,

Very useful! :D my mum is the only person I know that invites them in...and then tries to convert them to Catholicism  :lol2:
Are they the ones who hand out the Watchtower magazine? Some came to our door last week and OH took a mag from them cos "It was just a nice wee old woman and I couldn't slam the door in her face"! ::)

Gari could though, he had a right good bark at them! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline mcphee

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
Interesting thread. Rufus sits at the window and barks at everything which takes his fancy. It can make you jump out of your seat when he suddenly sees a hedgehog walk across the front garden at 9.30 in the evening. He gets really hyper. He has different barks whilst we are out and he is hunting. I regret that the barking at the stupid pigeons who nested in a tree in the garden only about 12 feet above the ground meant I had to resort to the water spray before the neighbours complained yesterday. Now if he starts I touch the bottle and he goes off to do something else. His recall is selective so his bark or shrieks of excitement actually often helps to locate him. It helped me find him this morning when he did a bunk after a pheasant who happened to be passing as he got out of the car for agility. He followed it into some deep brambles/nettle/cover, and I located him by his pheasant bark. I used my new growly voice and he came out covered in insects. Needless to say his mind was not on agility. Oh yes if he gets really excited on a run he barks at agility too.

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »
Too much at the moment. If anyone comes to the door, when she sees pigeons outside, when she wants to go outside (used to be just to toilet now to play/ sniff/ whatever), if she wants to play, if she wants food. All evening from the second my husband gets home.... shall I go on? She is fairly quiet during the day with me but hubby chatters to her and winds her up - I think she thinks she's having a conversation with him  ::)

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »
Bailey only really barks when the door goes or when he's out playing with his ball and OH won't give him a shot!

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »
Tia doesn't bark a lot  :D She barks if someone is at the door, if a cat is on 'her' garden and when asked to 'speak'. She will do a muted sort of bark if she needs to go out and we haven't realised... a bit like "I know I shouldn't bark but I really need to go"!  She used to be impatient on walks if we stopped to talk to someone and started barking till we moved on but we have worked hard on this and now it rarely happens  :angel:
Marie & Tia x

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Thankfully, Bella hardly ever barks, she will let me know if there's someone unexpected at the door - ignores neighbours, parents, friends, milklady and postman, and lets me know if there are fireworks going off!!!! When all the other dogs round here are having a good bark at each other more often than not she ignores them occasionally she'll give a bark or two so can only presume the conversation is interesting

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Ollie barks every single time he goes into the garden, sometimes at pigeons or at nothing. So, we are still trying to resolve this. But thankfully he doesn't bark in the house or outside (unless at a dog, playfully).

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »
Tinker is our little barker...she has recenty taken to barking at 2 trees in our garden in the hope that a bird will fly out! (One did once and she's never forgotten)  :005: funny but annoying!

She also barks at our cats who look at her with the most dissapproving look  :005:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
Rodaidh pretty much never barks which is the way I want him to be. Tilly unfortunately does bark when the doorbell rings or if she hears someone at the door, she already had the habit when I got her. Alfie picked it up from her which I was >:D about but thankfully Rodaidh never has. Working Cockers shouldn't really be barky dogs, ideally they're pretty much mute.

Barking must be a very infectious virus.  Mollie never used to bark but she's got a good teacher now.  They bark initially at visitors but just to let us know someone's here.  They save their very best barking for the postie, who is definitely NOT a dog person and hates them.  The feeling seems to be mutual as far as the dogs are concerned.  What's weird is that they bark at a car if it pulls into the driveway but don't bark if it's just one of our cars.

Mollie doesn't do the yip-yip-yipping though when she's gone off on one after a bird or something on the beach.  Must be cos she's not a worker.

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »
Coco barks at the neighbours for attention, the doorbell and noises he's really not sure about, Breeze just barks at Coco.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »
Ollie barks every single time he goes into the garden, sometimes at pigeons or at nothing. So, we are still trying to resolve this. But thankfully he doesn't bark in the house or outside (unless at a dog, playfully).

Ellie is the same.  She shoots out of the back door like a streak of lightening and runs to every corner of the garden barking.  She barks at every pigeon and bird flying around or sitting on the fence or roofs of houses opposite, and checks out every bush and shrub (barking all the time) to check there is nothing therce.  I havent a clue how to stop it, other than I only allow and minute or two in the garden if shes barking and then call her in.  Ellie barks in the house and birds on TV, sirens from police cars, fire engines etc (real or on TV), dogs walking past the window, ph34r :embarassed: but oddly, she rarely barks when out walking - even when shes chasing birds   

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Sasha's gob just doesn't shut. She barks at anyone going past or if she wants something.

Coco is just like her sister, she always has a lot to say for herself  ::) 
She usually barks when she is excited, when she is kept waiting, when she feels she is not getting the attention she deserves or just when she feels like it  ::) :005:
    That just about sums George up  :005: Hamish a lot quieter usually :shades:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 03:30:35 PM »
Marlee hardly ever barks. He'll sometimes bark at next doors cat when she sits by the fance teasing him. And he'll bark when he's in the river waiting for somthing to be thrown so he can splash/swim to get it. And that's all, lol.