Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Jan29

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:19:32 PM »
Charlie came with 6 weeks insurance from the breeder through pet plan. They have just phoned to see if I want to carry on with it as it runs out next week. They have quoted me £16.95 per month with £75.00 excess . Any advice on whether that is about right would be appreciated , or recommendations for other companies.   Thanks!
Janet and Charlie

Offline josiek

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:23:03 PM »
Hi, I've just gone with Marks and spencer - I'm sure the excess was lower, and it was definitely cheaper per month - around £11 (plus get a small discount if you do it online).  I have no experience as to whether they are any good when it comes to claims, etc though.

I also looked at 'More than' which also seemed okay but was a little more expensive than M&S

Offline Beano and Charlies mum

• Site Member
    • http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/beanosmum/
Pet Insurance
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »
Hi Jan, ooo another Charlie too  :D

I am sure that everyone will be along soon to tell of their own preferences on insurance companies.

There are lots of different ones out there and all have different excesses and covers. Remember always check out the small print and the cover you are receiving and also whether cover is for life( That they wil cover your baby into old age !!) If you stay with them.

Persoanally i use Petplan.yes they are more expensive than most, but i find them very good at settling claims and also as they are well known my vet will allow me to run up my bill with himself and he just claims settlement from petplan. Thus meaning i do not have to lay the money out before claiming.

Good luck with your search

Sam

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Pet Insurance
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:34:31 PM »
i use one that my vet does. You pay about £10 a month through direct debit and then if anything happens the vet deals with it and there is no claim forms its all done at the vets and the excess comes out the month after. I thought this was brilliant idea more vets should do it.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »
Hi Jan,

I'm with M&S for my two I pay just under £22 a month for life cover with no excess ;)

Here is a link to the site you can get an online quote on here and if you take out insurance online you also get a 5% discount  :D

http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/defa...home&Product=PI

And the freephone number is 0800 072 0119

Hope this helps  
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
There have been a couple of other threads on the subject of pet insurance.  I am with Marks and Spencers who have just reduced the monthly fee - despite me having claimed lots of money last year for Piper  :o

They have always paid up promptly and returned  calls when they say they are going to.

As other's have said  check the small print to ensure that your pet is covered for any condition for life  ;)  
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Pet Insurance
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 03:33:01 PM »
I'm with M&S too although no experience of claiming (touch wood ;) )

With M&S you can reduce your annual payment if you take out a higher excess.  I think there are 3 different excess options.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 04:20:43 PM »
I have just joined m & s!

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Pet Insurance
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:49:13 PM »
I just joined M&S too - this site is good business for them!!

:rolleyes:  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 05:51:12 PM »
I have used Direct Line for the last four years I pay about £22.00 for 2 dogs, vet fees are payable up to £6.000 ongoing, so for example if one of them developed a condition that required long-term treatment it would cover them indefinately, a lot of insurances only cover a condition for 12 months.

I also made a claim a few years back and they were very quick and helpful.

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pet Insurance
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 05:57:38 PM »
I am poised ready to click the button to purchase Molo's insurance - although I am still hesitant about M & S as their financial services are being sold as part of their 'rescue - anti-takeover' package...so not sure if the terms and conditions will stay the same for long  :unsure:

I've looked at Direct Line and Virgin who both offer a Premium policy now, which covers each condition for life, up to £6000 per condition, with either £45 or £60 excess for £13 or £11 per month. More Th>n are also on my shortlist.

We have used Direct Line for other claims (the car!) and have been really impressed with the service; don't know anything about Virgin, and have concerns over More Th>n as they define Cocker Spaniels in two catagories dependent on colour (there was another thread about this somewhere, can't find it right now though!)

What a nightmare.......I find these decisons so much harder than the 'life changing' ones ;)  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Sue H

Pet Insurance
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »
I would be interested to hear more about the M & S 'rescue anti-takeover' thing ...  I work for the Blue Cross, and we give 6 weeks Pet Plan insurance with all our animals (apart from rats, guinea pigs etc).  The Charity receives a commission from adopters who subsequently take out further PetPlan insurance.  We have hardly ever had a complaint about PetPlan, so long as any pre-existing conditions are disclosed on the original insurance forms (even dental cleans!).  I know there are lots of cheaper insurances around, but do they all carry the lifetime cover and all the other stuff (and basically, is 'all the other stuff' worth the extra??)  It would be really interesting to get some feedback - do people often need £3 million third party insurance, or hospitalization insurance, and are there any companies who allow you to choose which of the insurances you want to pay for ??  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Pet Insurance
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 09:59:54 PM »
looks like Im going to have to move

Pet Plan are asking £28 plus the first £80 :(

Thats for the having the cheek to live in South London.

They rang last week to tell me my six weeks were up and did I want to set up a DD to carry it on. When I said I couldnt afford those sort of payments, they offered me £18, plus £80 excess plus the next 10% and that wasnt for the lifetime of the complaint either :(

So its the savings account for us once again

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pet Insurance
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 10:03:26 PM »
Sorry Sue - poor choice of words - M & S recently rejected hostile take-over bid, and to keep the share holders happy, the Directors published a new strategic package to 'rescue' the company from its poor profits.

This rescue package includes the sale/outsourcing of its Financial services division. I therefore wonder whether in the longer term, the 'good value' policy may be replaced by a less competitive deal, and changing companies at that point may result in exclusions applied by the new company.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 10:05:24 PM »
looks like Im going to have to move

Pet Plan are asking £28 plus the first £80 :(

Thats for the having the cheek to live in South London.

They rang last week to tell me my six weeks were up and did I want to set up a DD to carry it on. When I said I couldnt afford those sort of payments, they offered me £18, plus £80 excess plus the next 10% and that wasnt for the lifetime of the complaint either :(

So its the savings account for us once again
Oh Suki,

have a look at M&S - think Maria left the links and number earlier.

I know lots of people just put some money by, but having gone through what I've been through during the last 12 months with Piper I thank goodness that I decided to take a policy out.

M&S have recently revamped their policy and they are much cheaper than other policies.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx