Author Topic: Hello again from the Midlands! Looking for a rescue Cocker  (Read 3682 times)

Offline ~Holly~

Hello again from the Midlands! Looking for a rescue Cocker
« on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:44 PM »
Hi again,

I joined this site about year ago wanting information on cocker spaniels.  Everyone was very helpful ( I would link the thread if I knew how!) and I came to the conclusion that working full time meant I sadly couldn't get one at that time.  I still work full time and probably always will  ::) but I have now found a doggy day care very near me and so I am very, very, excited that hopefully I can now have my much-wanted dog.   :D

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello again, and if anyone has any advice about where would be the best place/way for me to get my cocker from that would be much appreciated.  I don't mind about sex or colour, but would like an adult rescue between 2-5 years.  He/she will be my first dog.  I am in the Midlands (South Staffordshire) and it would be great to hear from any cocker owners in the area too.  :D

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Hello again from the Midlands!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
Hi and welcome back from me and the gang, hope you find your perfect match soon..

I'm not that far away in North Worcestershire

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Hi ho and welcome back, maybe you could look at the rescue threads on Col, sure someone will be along shortly who can help you in your search.

Bet you are excited   :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
Welcome to COL - from us in Birmingham  ;)

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
Hi welcome back, we are from Coseley. I'm sure you will find all the help you need on here.

Hope your search for you cocker will be quicker than my second, keep looking on all the rescue pages is my only advice but when you do see one that fits the bill, dont waste a second contacting the rescue  ;)
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline mcphee

Re: Hello again from the Midlands! Looking for a rescue Cocker
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:14:31 PM »
Hello. I too am searching for a rescue cocker, preferably bitch, and under 4. I look every night without success. I can meet most rescue requirements, I do not work, and have a secure garden, and grown up kids. I have now gone for 4 and been beaten to it each time, or am not considered because I have a cat and a cocker spaniel. I am having a break now, and rethinking whether to go for rescues or puppy,  a different breed, or stick with my darling as a single spoilt doglet. Good luck with your hunt.

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.   :D  I guess there are not many rescue cockers about - I am kind of surprised but obviously it is good news for the breed.

Offline grab

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
We looked for rescue cockers before we got our second puppy, but it just wasn't happening - no-one with a cocker within striking distance of us.

I do think it's a good sign for the breed's temperament.  I mean, look at the number of breed-specific rescue groups.  Staffies - practically one per town.  Collies - also lots.  GSD - plenty of rescue organisations.  But cockers?  Two in the country, they seem to have more people looking than dogs available, and they're kind of a sideline of springer spaniel rescue anyway.  So either there aren't that many cocker spaniels in Britain, or practically all cocker owners are happy with their four-legged furballs...
Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »
Many Tears http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/dogslookingforhomes.htm are not local, but they are a reputable rescue organisation and regularly get ex-puppy farm breeding bitches and dogs.

They regularly do a transport run along the M4 corridor on Sundays. I picked up Violet from Leigh Delamere Services at Chippenham just over a week ago.

I am just waiting now for them to get some more cockers in & I will be having another one.

It might be worth you contacting Many Tears and tell them what you're looking for because Cockers do get snapped up quickly. They may be able to organise a homecheck for you with a cocker in mind, so that you would be fast-tracked as a new owner. (Depending on where in South Staffs you live, it might be me doing the homecheck  :005:)

They do like you to go to the kennels in South Wales to meet the dogs, but sometimes dogs are fostered and you may find one in a foster home nearer to you that you could visit and, all being well, adopt from the foster home.

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
Many Tears http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/dogslookingforhomes.htm are not local, but they are a reputable rescue organisation and regularly get ex-puppy farm breeding bitches and dogs.

Many Tears do usually want to rehome ex-breeding dogs in homes where there is already a dog

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »

Many Tears do usually want to rehome ex-breeding dogs in homes where there is already a dog

and I would have thought to someone who was at home and not for the dog to go to doggy day care full time  :-\

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Usually, but not always  ;)

Offline ~Holly~

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »

They regularly do a transport run along the M4 corridor on Sundays. I picked up Violet from Leigh Delamere Services at Chippenham just over a week ago.

I am just waiting now for them to get some more cockers in & I will be having another one.

It might be worth you contacting Many Tears and tell them what you're looking for because Cockers do get snapped up quickly. They may be able to organise a homecheck for you with a cocker in mind, so that you would be fast-tracked as a new owner. (Depending on where in South Staffs you live, it might be me doing the homecheck  :005:)

They do like you to go to the kennels in South Wales to meet the dogs, but sometimes dogs are fostered and you may find one in a foster home nearer to you that you could visit and, all being well, adopt from the foster home.

Travelling to South Wales is no problem whatsoever.  Perhaps I will get in touch with them to see about the advance homecheck (I am in Lichfield, Staffs BTW.)  I noticed on their website that they say about rehoming where there is an existing dog and I did wonder whether those lovely gentle ex-breeding girls would be happy in a daycare setting.   :-\  (I saw Violet's thread - she is a beautiful girl and I hope she has settled in with you?)

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »

Travelling to South Wales is no problem whatsoever.  Perhaps I will get in touch with them to see about the advance homecheck (I am in Lichfield, Staffs BTW.)  I noticed on their website that they say about rehoming where there is an existing dog and I did wonder whether those lovely gentle ex-breeding girls would be happy in a daycare setting.   :-\  (I saw Violet's thread - she is a beautiful girl and I hope she has settled in with you?)

The day care would be a problem, I was refused by MT because I worked, even though my friend comes over with her two, she has no garden so we both get the best of both worlds, that gives Coco and Breeze company both human and canine on a daily basis for at least two hours in a morning/afternoon. Plus I always go home for lunch.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »
Try looking on Dog Pages as well, it's the largest dog rehoming site in the UK and has dogs listed every day from rescues all over the country, you can also post a 'looking for a dog' thread... www.dogpages.org.uk 

Many of the Springer rescues also often get Cockers in so try NESSR, Springer Rescue Scotland etc. too.

There are a few lovely NESSR dogs on the rescue board here just now.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/