Author Topic: Does anyone do obedience competitions?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Does anyone do obedience competitions?
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »

We started obedience training a few months ago - mainly with the view of keeping Honey more focussed and giving us something to do.  I didn't have any ideas of going ahead and competing or anything like that.

The thing is, she really seems to enjoy it (though we're struggling with concentration span at the minute!)... and while we're no where near competition level yet, I think it is something we could acheive in time.
However, obedience really does seem to be Collie-centric.... so was just wondering if there were cocker owners out there who have actually competed, and how they got on...

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Oliver21508

Re: Does anyone do obedience competitions?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »
I'm hoping to do some baby obedience classes as Ollie loves it. I am going to enter a Starters Obedience class in a Companion show April 5th. I'll tell you how it goes, but I'll be watching this thread.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
liath did the advanced obedience training and friendly comps but then I stopped as  I find that all too stressful. Im not a big crowd person. shes very good and in different hands would win loads. 7 years ago someone tried to buy her off me to train as a sniffer dog for the oil rigs.  shes happy enough as she is I think. she helps with various things around the croft and gets spoilt rotten into the bargain.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
I've been doing Obedience with Roxy for about 3/4 months properly now. We really enjoy it. In January we were asked to compete with our club in the pre beginners group. We came 7th out of 8, with no practise at all as we were asked to enter the week before, It was only an inter club match but was really fun and...we were the only cocker participating.  ;) We will compete more this year but it will be more for fun and to stimulate Roxy as she loves learning something new. Infact it has really helped with walking to heel.
The reason for doing it was also to find something other than showing, as I found that Roxy isn't really cut out for the show ring.  ;)
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
There are a few cockers in obedience, both working and show types.  Most compete in Pre-Beginners and Beginners and do hold their own.  I competed with Storm (who is now semi-retired, but that is more to me not being able to put the time into her training that I need to rather than anything else).  She has beaten lots of collies and was able to hold her own right up till class A (never worked her in B, so not sure about that class  ;) ).  In my experience most judges like seeing 'other breeds' working well, but there are a handful who do seem to find it more difficult to judge smaller dogs (and the odd person who is just rude, but they are very much in a minority).

I really hope that you and Honey continue to enjoy your obedience training, and perhaps I will see your names in the obedience press in the future  :blink: .

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »

Thanks for the info!
 :D

As I say, we're a long way off from any kind of competing at the minute.... our class is run as a clicker class, so we are building all the exercises up gradually, but hopefully solidly....  ;)  It's nice to know that my little working cocker won't necessarily get laughed out of any competitions we do get to!    :lol2:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
I have done a couple of obedience competitions at companion shows with Suki (Saluki cross)
She is nowhere near standard, but we have fun which is the main thing, and once we actually got a rosette cos we came 5th!!!!
Good luck, and so long as you both enjoy it, go for it!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »
I've been doing Obedience with Roxy for about 3/4 months properly now. We really enjoy it. In January we were asked to compete with our club in the pre beginners group. We came 7th out of 8, with no practise at all as we were asked to enter the week before, It was only an inter club match but was really fun and...we were the only cocker participating.  ;) We will compete more this year but it will be more for fun and to stimulate Roxy as she loves learning something new. Infact it has really helped with walking to heel.
The reason for doing it was also to find something other than showing, as I found that Roxy isn't really cut out for the show ring.  ;)
Ah, Jesse was there too, but of course he is an American!  :D

I do hope to see you more at shows and interclub matches! It is fab to see other spaniels around!

Jesse is an American cocker and has grown up with competitive obedience. At 18 months old, he won out or Pre-Beginners last year and is being placed regularly in Beginners. We are hoping to win out of Beginners this year.

There aren't too many cockers or other spaniels in obedience (though you do see them around), but there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to do it! If the training is done right, then they love it and it is great fun! Jesse always turns heads at obedience shows as Americans are of course extremely rare (particularly in a full coat), and judges always comment on how beautiful Jesse looks working and how much he enjoys it.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread  ph34r but Vera can we see some up to pics of Jesse ? Thanks Jane

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Here's Jesse last year after he'd won out of Pre-Beginners

Or this one?  :005:

Vera Marney

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »
Aww he is just so gorgeous......Im not sure I could cope with the coat tho....is it really difficult?

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
Aww he is just so gorgeous......Im not sure I could cope with the coat tho....is it really difficult?

It does take a bit of work. Brushing every day or every couple of days, which only takes about 10 or 15 minutes at the time. But he does need a clip/groom every two weeks as well as a bath every week or at least every two weeks. Those tasks take up a lot of time, and unless you can do it yourself (which is what I do), it costs a lot of money too.

Vera
Vera Marney

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:06 PM »
Jesse came 3rd in Beginners at SATS Obedience Show in Warlingham on Sunday.  :D
Vera Marney

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
Well done Jesse  :D

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
Thought that might be him in the photo on ObUK.  Well Done!