Author Topic: Greenbee Pet Insurance  (Read 8131 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Greenbee Pet Insurance
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:53 AM »
I know it is a thread that often comes up - which is best/cheapest etc in pet insurance, and I often recommend Greenbee to people.

By the time Alfie is done getting his cruciate ligament fixed the vets bills will be up to around £3000. I rang Greenbee to see if I need to get it okayed before going ahead and they said "No, just send in the bills". The people Ive spoken to on the phone have been great and the claims Ive already submitted have been paid into my bank within a couple of weeks.

Even more amazingly, I got the renewal for Purdey's insurance through last week. "Oh doG, here we go" I thought. And it was exactly the same amount as last year!! It hadnt gone up at all. I was amazed.

Really cant recommend them highly enough!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Greenbee Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
I've been with them for a couple of years now & was astonished at the last renewal the price had actually gone down, although the excess had increased but it's good to hear from people that have had to claim, as lets face it, until we make a claim we really don't know how good these insurance companies are
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
I have all good things to say about M&S insurance.

We have several big claims over the years and they pay out every time...never had a claim refused....they understand about continuation claims and their cover is very good at £7000 per illness per year......so its unlikely it will ever run out.....

Jessie is currently at over £3000 for her cancer and we are getting the checks 2 weeks after the claim form being submitted by the vets...before I need to ay the credit card....great service I say!!

Offline pamela

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
This is interesting, I didn't have insurance for Ben, luckily the only thing he needed was dental which wouldn't have been covered anyway, but I have been looking at insuring my new pup and Greenbee was recommended.
On a comparison site it mentioned Greenbee pay directly to the vet, I was wondering if this is better option than having to pay out the money then get it back.
Wading through all the quotes for insurance is a bit of a mindfield, I've decided to pick a couple and decide from there, so far it's between Petplan Greenbee, M&S and More Than, the last 2 were mentioned by doggie friends in the park but they've never had to claim yet.

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
On a comparison site it mentioned Greenbee pay directly to the vet, I was wondering if this is better option than having to pay out the money then get it back.

Not sure Pamela but you might have to confirm with your vet first .....Brea has been with Greenbee since a puppy ....well she sort of still is thankfully have not had too call upon the insurance   again anyone i have spoken too have praised Greenbee very highly and still too hear one single negative comment   

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
A lot of vets won't accept direct claims, they insist on the money upfront, so always best to check with the vet.

I've got 4 weeks free insurance with Duggie, not sure whether to stay with them or go somewhere else. Gari was with Tesco and they were really expensive.
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
I have been with petplan and have been of 17 years with my first dog
made lots of claims and all were paid

and have been with them again with bob for 4 years touch wood we have not had to make a claim for him yet, i was thinking about changing to HSBC they were a bit cheaper
but i do not know anyone who has used them so i am not sure if they payout, so have stayed with petplan

Offline pamela

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
Well, I've had an exciting afternoon ploughing through pet insurance quotes  ::)
I am looking for lifetime cover and third party insurance mainly but the difference in the quotes was unbelievable.
I though I had a good one from More Than at only £11.50 a month until I realised they charged 10% of the claim on top of the excess amount, this really put me off.
The Greenbee site that was recommended offered the kind of policy I wanted but when I phoned they quoted more than the internet price, but did say that they would honour the internet quote and were very nice on the phone.
Greenbee quoted me for £14.50 which seemed reasonable too, PetPlan wanted £24.80 so I guess I'll be signing up with Greenbee tomorrow.
I had to laugh though when the guy on the phone, asked if my 8wk old pup had been used as a guard dog  :005:

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
I know it is a thread that often comes up - which is best/cheapest etc in pet insurance, and I often recommend Greenbee to people.

By the time Alfie is done getting his cruciate ligament fixed the vets bills will be up to around £3000. I rang Greenbee to see if I need to get it okayed before going ahead and they said "No, just send in the bills". The people Ive spoken to on the phone have been great and the claims Ive already submitted have been paid into my bank within a couple of weeks.

Even more amazingly, I got the renewal for Purdey's insurance through last week. "Oh doG, here we go" I thought. And it was exactly the same amount as last year!! It hadnt gone up at all. I was amazed.

Really cant recommend them highly enough!

I pay £14 a month with Greenbee for Dennis but i havnt needed to claim yet , so it reassuring to know that they are good  :D

A lot of vets won't accept direct claims, they insist on the money upfront, so always best to check with the vet.

I've got 4 weeks free insurance with Duggie, not sure whether to stay with them or go somewhere else. Gari was with Tesco and they were really expensive.

Its worth remembering that when you take out new insurance they have a 14 day period were they dont cover you , so i made sure my kc insurance and Greenbee overlapped so i was still covered  :D

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »
I was with Argos for the first year with Smartie, but they went from £5.55 to £16 on renewal!
I'm with Tesco now, £5.65 for platinum cover I think it is, was the cheapest at the time. Will def look up Greenbee if my renewal goes up tho.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »
I was with Argos for the first year with Smartie, but they went from £5.55 to £16 on renewal!
I'm with Tesco now, £5.65 for platinum cover I think it is, was the cheapest at the time. Will def look up Greenbee if my renewal goes up tho.

That seams very cheap is it cover for life  :huh: how much dose it cover you for each illness per year  :huh:

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

Wow , that is cheap . Greenbee was one of the  most competitive i found when i was looking. Alot of them were at least double  :-\

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »
We tried Greenbee but it wasnt for us. They wouldnt offer a discount for multiple pets and I would of had to of insured each seperatly and had seperate direct debits for them all. That would mean Six seperate policys and six direct debits!!!!!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
Just wondering if all of your quotes cover lifelong conditions or do they just cover for a year?

I was going to ring Petplan to get a quote for Duggie, as I've got 4 weeks free insurance with them for him, but they rang me yesterday. I was in the middle of stuff, wasn't feeling well, Duggie was ripping my feet, and while I was answering the phone he poo'd on the floor, so I ended up saying yes to them to get off the phone. ::)  They are £25 for the year plus another month free, but it's lifetime cover for conditions, could be worth it even just for potential ear problems, but hopefully he won't have anything serious.

I'm going to have a look online though, as I do have the 14 day cooling off period.

I had to laugh though when the guy on the phone, asked if my 8wk old pup had been used as a guard dog  :005:
I laughed too, and I nearly said yes as at that precise moment he had ripped a bit of skin right off the top of my foot cos I'd dared to walk past him! :o :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline hollys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »
we are with petplan Holly had £205 worth of treatment on her ear sent the claim off-recieved £2.74p because i did not read the small print the vet back dated it for 14 months she is only coverd for 12 months at a time >:D it would cost me £5 on the bus to get to my bank to cash the cheque!