Author Topic: Tuna cake  (Read 7020 times)

Offline mcphee

Tuna cake
« on: August 01, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
Rufus would like to express his sincere gratitude to young Duggie :luv::for telling him how delicious tuna treats could be. A rather unnecessarily large batch was made between walk and agility this morning and what a success! An entirely focussed beautiful black face with gorgeous brown eyes fixed on me between runs. Good stays and near perfect control, even though there were bunnies under the trees!
Ok, so the house stinks a bit , but for a hasty made up recipe they seem to be very much appreciated. Of course we are not out in the maize field, so the are untested in that regard. I even think it is preferred to livercake! I will have to watch the weight, as I want Rufus to stay around 12.5 kg and he was 12.65kg this morning, but thanks young Duggie, you are a complete star of a pupster. :D

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Re: Tuna cake
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
Duggie is asleep just now as he had a reaction to his vaccination and has a swollen neck and had been sleeping since about 11pm last night until 2pm today, with just 2 toilet breaks, and after a play and some food, is asleep again.

But when he wakes up I'm sure he will be delighted to hear that Rufus enjoyed the tunacake, the smell of it seems be irresistible to dogs, so hopefully he will still come back to you in the maize. :D

Well done Rufus, you keep listening to young Duggie and you'll do allright! ;) :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline mcphee

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
Oh what a brave boy having that nasty sharp thing stuck in him! If the weather is like is is down here with you, maybe he's practising hibernation. There is a rather wet cocker on the other end of the sofa. It was too wet to risk the maize even with tunacake. He sends his regards to his young friend and hopes he is back to his normal lovely puppy self tomorrow.

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
fiona please could you post a link to the recipe for tuna cake? thank you!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
It's on here along with loads of other tasty goodies! The tuna bread only takes minutes to make, it's so easy. :D

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
aha....now this is one I've been meaning try and not got round to it, but will do so forthwith  :D Chloe's problem with treats is that she just.....well.............gets fed up of 'em. New tastes are always a winner for a while  :lol2:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline mcphee

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
aha....now this is one I've been meaning try and not got round to it, but will do so forthwith  :D Chloe's problem with treats is that she just.....well.............gets fed up of 'em. New tastes are always a winner for a while  :lol2:
I made up my recipe, loosely based on how I make liver cake I use more flour (whole meal) and some olive oil. I also only use tuna in spring water. I agree about  getting fed up with home made treats, because Rufus used to do this too, so I have frozen them in small quantities and will try to rotate them with liver stick. Also, I do a little bit of training during the day with a treat such as ham or cheese. I used to make dog biscuits as my daughter gave him a set of bone shaped cutters and a recipe book for Christmas a couple of years ago. I just ended up with too much so I gave them to all his friends!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
I used to make dog biscuits as my daughter gave him a set of bone shaped cutters and a recipe book for Christmas a couple of years ago. I just ended up with too much so I gave them to all his friends!
I used to make biscuits for Gari too, but he thought there were never enough! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
I used to make biscuits for Gari too, but he thought there were never enough! :005:

Typical Gari, bless him  :angel: :luv: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »

Duggie is fast becoming the same - I was chopping veg earlier and he was sitting behind me just looking up with such hope in his eyes. And as soon as I even whisper the word biscuit he appears at my feet and sits immediately! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline mcphee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »

Duggie is fast becoming the same - I was chopping veg earlier and he was sitting behind me just looking up with such hope in his eyes. And as soon as I even whisper the word biscuit he appears at my feet and sits immediately! :005:

What a marvellous example of young cockerdom Duggie is becoming. I wish I had known about the biscuit command 41/2 years ago!

Offline BarbaraW

• Mum of Dennis, black 'n tan show cocker who dances
    • http://www.myspace.com/dennis_barbara
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
Dennis adores tuna cake.  Made some for a Heelwork show earlier in the year when my friend and I were going to a show down south.  On our return, direct from the show following an eight hour car journey, OH said "Didn't they have any showers in your accommodation" as my hands and pockets still held the smell of the tuna cake.

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
What a lovely thread this is between Rufie and Duggie, so cute and it made me smile :D

Hope little Duggie is feeling better big brave boy.

My girls love fish so I will be making some tasty treats, great stuff thanks.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
Where iz you Wufus? I not heard fwom you for ages! Guess wot My Mum did to me now?  She gots me back up at 6.30am yesterday whens I wiz just getting backs into a nice sleep, and gives me my bweakfast, makes me go pee-pee and then shuts my cwate, then she wents away an lefted me! :o

She wiz away for 2 hours an I wiz all alone and cwyin. Actually, I wiz sleepin, but I kidded on I wiz cwyin whens she finally cames back so she would feel guilty and no do that again. Bad Mum. >:(

She sez she was at the people vet and they iz goins to fix her, so then she gotted out some cheese and she goes "Yum, yum, I iz goin to be able to eat this again"  then she goes and eats it! An I neva got any! ph34r But, now she iz no well, ha ha. :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline black taz

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
a cheaper alternative to tuna cake is pilchard cake - my two adore it.