Author Topic: Insurance (Again!)  (Read 1701 times)

Offline kirstyb

Insurance (Again!)
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Sam's policy with M&S is due for renewal and its up from £17.84pm to £21.99pm. Greenbee have quoted £15.16pm for similar levels of cover (£7,000 fees, £75 excess).

Is there any big difference between the two, or are there other alternatives we should look at?

Would rather find a company whose premiums are more stable, rather than jump from a low starting price and have to change every year.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Insurance (Again!)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
My premiums went up a bit with M&S but not a lot.  To me, it is worth paying the premiums for all the other things they cover like hydrotherapy, prescription food and acupuncture.  Ok I may not need them but maybe I will and I know I am covered.  Depends on what you are looking for I guess.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
Also bear in mind that most insurance companies request a 12 month veterinary history prior to taking out a policy so if he has been seen for anything even if it wasn't claimed for, they may place exclusions. When I changed 2 of mine to M&S, they placed an exclusion on Dallas for lipfolds (all I had done at that point was buy a bottle of hibiscrub!) but said they would lift it after a year if no treatment was required.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:42:19 PM »
He's not had any treatment at all other than his vaccinations. We just want to get sorted on one company now whilst he is still problem free.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »
thing is that all insurance companies have various increases - some years more than others - I was horrified when the M&S one shot through the roof but this year my renewal was £1 per month more so it's now evening out.

I doubt whether there are that many policies if you read the small print that are still as inclusive as this one  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:44:11 PM »
Charley's insurance with M&S went up from £358 per annum to £578 per annum this year.  His excess went up to £75 plus 20% of the remainder.  Needless to say I didn't renew.

I haven't made a claim for Charley for years since the excess of £70 plus 10% of the remainder meant there was no point.  His recent op has so far cost me £406, but I'm well in pocket considering the initial premium and excess.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »
Just looked at the policies I have for my 4, all with Sainsburys on the same level of cover, all taken out or renewed this year, BUT I pay 4 different annual premiums £213.81 (Jasper - but I have made 2 claims), £136.42 (Louie), £198.62 (Heidi) and £126.43 (Charlie).  Going to ring them in next few days to find out why all different.

I just moved Louie over to Sainsburys and haven't been asked for vets name or any history  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:21 PM »
This is interesting, as we messed up with my lab's insurance and didn't realise it was annual cover rather than lifetime - they therefore excluded anything to do with his legs / joints and he's going to have trouble with them all his life.

Our pup came with the standard 6 weeks free from the Kennel Club but I want to find the right policy for her before it runs out, so I'll be looking at M&S!
Our lab is now with MoreThan and they have been great with paying up

Sophie
x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
Charley's insurance with M&S went up from £358 per annum to £578 per annum this year.  His excess went up to £75 plus 20% of the remainder.  Needless to say I didn't renew.

I haven't made a claim for Charley for years since the excess of £70 plus 10% of the remainder meant there was no point.  His recent op has so far cost me £406, but I'm well in pocket considering the initial premium and excess.

doesn't the premium increase correlate with his age though?
helen & jarvis x

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
My Goldie was with pet plan all her life and yes the policy price increased with her age.
Interestingly Paddy's renewal came through today, up from £229 to £249 with the kennel club and no claims. I thought I'd shop around as well as that seems a lot for a 1 year old with no history of illness.
Milly