Author Topic: Judges notes?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Judges notes?
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
When a judge makes notes after a class, is there any way of seeing/getting hold of those notes other than asking them which is difficult if the show was 2 days ago!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Judges notes?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Not really, the judge makes these notes to help form their critique which should appear in the dog press (Dog World & Our Dogs) in the following weeks.

Most judges shouldn't mind telling you about their decisions if you approached them after ALL classes have been judged.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Oh right... Sorry if I sound dense... :005: But what do you mean by their critique?

Also I didn't think of asking him what he thought of Murphy until after he disappeared for the day! Typical, it might be years until I get a proper chance again!!  :005:
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »
A critique is a written, detailed evaluation of what the judge liked (and sometimes disliked) about the dogs that have won the class (at breed open shows and championship shows a critique is also written for those in second place).

Do you get Dog World or Our Dogs? The critiques are listed under Show Reports.

Earlier in the year Florence won her class at a championship show, this was what the judge had to say about her and the bitch placed second.

YB(14, 4) 1 Lockwood’s Lujesa Casellina at Chimewood. What a lovely black bitch, so well balanced, correct front, lovely neck and shoulders, level topline with well angulated quarters, lovely head and eye, shown in good coat and condition, moved well. 2 Marris-Bray’s Helenwood Crystal Maze. Blue bitch with pretty head, good front and rear, strong body, moved well. 3 Moutrey’s Sunzo Soprano.

Did Murphy win his class, if so a critique should hopefully appear in the dog press?

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
Yes he did. Is there any way to tell which magazine it might appear in? It was at the Mid Herts Gundog on the 8th Nov, Is there anyway as well to know when it might appear in a magazine? If anyone sees it we're Freestone Fundamentalist and we won the puppy (by default, but we still won!) would they be able to message it to me in case I don't get the magazine/miss it etc?!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
Not really, the judge makes these notes to help form their critique which should appear in the dog press (Dog World & Our Dogs) in the following weeks.

A critique is a written, detailed evaluation of what the judge liked (and sometimes disliked) about the dogs that have won the class (at breed open shows and championship shows a critique is also written for those in second place).

Do you get Dog World or Our Dogs? The critiques are listed under Show Reports.

I've already mentioned where they will appear if the judge submits their critique. ;) They are weekly newspaper not a magazine.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »
Yes I know that's what you put. I meant is there any way to tell which one they will be in or when the results will be published? I suppose the other thing is to phone them both and ask...

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Yes I know that's what you put. I meant is there any way to tell which one they will be in or when the results will be published? I suppose the other thing is to phone them both and ask...

No, there's no way of knowing because it will depend on how fast the judge sends the report in to each paper (if at all as sadly some never bother even though it's now a KC rule ph34r). If the judge sends their report in late (more than a month after the show), the papers may not print it at all unless there's a very good reason for the delay. Normally most show people buy a subscription to one or both of the weekly papers and they then just keep a look out for the show reports they are interested in (you can even check online if you are a subscriber).
Jane

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
Ahhh I see. You don't have this for horse showing so I was quite oblivious to it! Well maybe I'll phone them and see if I get any joy. Thank you both for your help.