Author Topic: New pup arrives 10 days and counting...  (Read 876 times)

Offline les

• Site Member
  • Bentley the scruff
New pup arrives 10 days and counting...
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
Hi all,

Bentley has always been a little dependable, I would suggest that there is no anxiety involved, but he is like my shadow whilst in the house.  We take our new pup next Friday, and although when he arrives he will be smaller than Ben, eventually he will grow larger.
What should I be prepared for when the new pup arrives and over the coming months....

Looking forward to your experiences...

Les
Bentley & his Mum

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: New pup arrives 10 days and counting...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »
I think you should be prepared for the possibility of Bentley being jealous. It may not happen, but it could, especially if Bentley has been an "only" dog for a long time and has a strong bond with you.

I used to have 2 Cockers together many years ago. I got the second one when the first was almost 2 years old and they got on reasonably well right from the start. They would play together, lick out a yogurt pot together etc. but didn't like to share the same bed and would have the occasional small squabble.

I now have a 5 year old Cocker, William, who has been my constant companion and shadow for the last 5 years. My husband works abroad and I'm on my own a lot, so William has been an only dog with just me looking after him, not a family sharing him. He is a gentle, loving and usually placid dog.

I introduced a new puppy, Louis, into the household 3 months ago. William's first reaction was to sniff, growl, then ignore. He still ignores Louis most of the time but also tells him off by growling and knocking him over. William is very jealous of any attention that I give Louis and as I'm on my own I find it quite difficult to spend time just with William on his own. So William now gets a lot less attention than he did before and our relationship has suffered because of that. I feel guilty because although I'm enjoying having Louis, William's life has changed in ways that he doesn't understand and doesn't like  :'(

I think that eventually things will improve and William will be more accepting of Louis and less jealous. But I don't think they will ever be best friends.

I hope that Bentley doesn't have the same problems and gets on well with your new puppy straight away. There are plenty of other people on COL whose experience introducing a new puppy to an older dog has been better and easier than mine and I'm sure some of them will post on here.

Good luck with your puppy. What colour is he and does he have a name yet?

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »
Elaine is spot on with how many dogs react. Some dogs will be over tolerant of a pup though and allow them to do anything which doesnt help in the long run as they dont learn how to behave around adults. You'll just have to take things as they come and if there are problems youre not surew how to deal with then post here!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline les

• Site Member
  • Bentley the scruff
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
Good luck with your puppy. What colour is he and does he have a name yet?
The new pup is a Viz, and is called Jenson.  Obviously eventually he will be much bigger than B, and judging by the size of him last weekend, it will not be too long before Jenson towers Ben.

Ben has developed such a great personality, I am concerned of forcing a change of character...
Bentley & his Mum

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
No experience of introducing a new pup - just posting to say how lucky you are - I'd never met a Vizla 'til about 4 months ago, and have met 5 since then and they are just lovely :luv:. I think we'll need some photos.. :blink: 

Offline nic_h

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
How exciting for you. I agree with Elaine, about being prepared for Ben to be a little put out at the start. In my experience, we got Mali 3 weeks ago and Zack spent the first 2 weeks avoiding her at all costs. He would hide behind the sofa or just take himself off to his crate to get away from her. This last week however we have seen a slight improvement in that Zack will tolerate her jumping up and biting him for a few minutes at a time, and yesterday they even had a tug of war over a cuddly toy for a few minutes :luv:

I have always tried too to make sure Zack get's let out his crate first in the morning, gets the first cuddle etc as I don't want him feeling pushed out. I also take him out on his own without Mali as even though she's not allowed down I do like to carry her on walks to get her familiar with sounds and smells etc. At the moment he gives me the long suffering look as if to say "can she go back now mum"  :005: Luckily (or not) Mali is a biter so no one wants to cuddle her more than a few minutes anyway :lol2:
Nic, Zack and Mali xx