Author Topic: Tesco insurance  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
Tesco insurance
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Im not happy with Tesco!!!. Jasper was in for explority operation and biopsys on Friday. I phoned them to register claim. She said it will take approx 7 days for claim form to be sent and then they have a backlog and probably wont be settled for 4-6 weeks!!!. I think this is terrible as not many of us have a spare grand sitting in bank. Anyone else had this trouble with their insurance company. His renewal is due on the 20th. I think if vet puts this down to explority as they were not sure of problem, this wouldnt affect insurance if I changed companies - can anyone confirm this.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Tesco insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
I've just had to deal with Tesco's and got the same response when I called them initially for Maggie's x-rays. However, I was pleasantly surprised with them. The claim form only took 2 days to show up.  Then once she was referred I had to ask for another and that again only took a couple of days.  I left that with the vetinary hospital she went to for them to send off, and then got call from Tesco asking for the claim from my own vets. I'd not put it in because reading the policy they said diagnostic treatment wasn't covered so had thought I'd have to stump up for them, she explained that as long as they'd found something then it was covered.  So took that to my vets and they sent it through for me. I was expecting to wait 5-7 weeks but the cheque for the full amount arrived Monday - took just about 10 days I guess. Wonder whether its just standard line they are feeding out at the moment... set expectations low and exceed them type mentality. 
Hoping you get the same turn around time...

Lisa
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
I asked for form on Saturday and it hasnt turned up yet. Got to go back for vets checkup on Friday so hope its arrived by then so they can fill it in!. Will let you know how I get on.x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
Unfotunately the backlogs do sometimes happen - I've used More Than and M&S in the past and both have been quite quick in settling. I used to work at a vets and I think every company experienced a backlog at one time or another.

As for changing companies, why was Jasper having biopsies taken? The vet will put exploratory operation as to the purpose of the claim but will also have to list symptoms etc as to why the op was done, eg gastro-intestinal problems. They also have to forward copies of his medical notes so it will be regarded as a pre-existing condition for any new policy.

I'm not sure if Tesco have changed their policies but last I knew, they only offered 12 month cover anyways so at some point they will not cover any treatment relating to his biopsies.  You might be better waiting for the biopsy results to come through first before making a decision because if treatment is needed, you might be best to stick with Tesco till the cover runs out then switch companies if you are not happy with the service.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
I have the extra policy which is lifetime cover so he would be covered in future but only up to £4000k so once he had used this on the same sort of condition, they would stop paying for it. Im just a bit peeved as renewal has come in about £6 a month dearer and we hadn't claimed when they sent renewal out. Think it is £22.83pm now so not really that cheap compared to others. Sorry he started being sick last week and they operated in the end as couldnt find reason why, thought he might have something stuck in intestines but there wasnt. Turns out now I think it was poisoning from eating an apple and pips as found one hidden in garden!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
Ah I see - I wouldn't have thought that would be something that could be excluded from any future policies....and hopefully Jasper doesn't plan on doing it again in the near future  :005:  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
I'm with NFU and pay £362 annually for my two, so about £15 per month per dog. They have lifetime cover of up to £4,000 per year with a £50 excess.

They were excellent last year when I paid out nearly £2,000 relating to William's back problem, including lots of physio sessions as well as the MRI scan and more routine consultations. Hopefully William won't have any further back problems, but if he does they'll continue to pay out for the same condition up to £4K every year.

Tracey, is your lifetime cover different? Unless I've misunderstood your post, it sounds like Tesco pay up to £4,000 for one condition during the whole lifetime, not in each insurance year?

Hopefully this has been a one off for poor Jasper.