Author Topic: Standing for line up  (Read 1632 times)

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
Standing for line up
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Pebble is approaching 11 months and whilst he has made progress in most areas of ring craft he continues to be hardwork in the final line up. He's happy to stand for about 10 seconds but this obviously isn't long enough!

We're practising most days and attending ring craft but I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to how to lengthen the time he stands.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
  • Winning The Gundog JHA Semi-Finals 2011
Re: Standing for line up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
I know how you feel!  ;)
Charlie does it alot but he has stopped doing it as much since I've been setting him up while I'm standing an he's been really good!

Hope that helps a little
Meg

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
I think Meg means that rather than kneeling to set him up, she stands over him and it's giving her a bit more control... The other thing she was told was just to turn him to face the opposite direction if he started to fidget...

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »
Louis is a fidget too, but relaxes and stands a bit better if I gently smooth his er, um, plums :005:

A couple of people who go to the same ringcraft class as me and are pretty successful showing their Cockers said it's what they do when showing their boys. I don't know what they do with their girls!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
Louis is a fidget too, but relaxes and stands a bit better if I gently smooth his er, um, plums :005:

A couple of people who go to the same ringcraft class as me and are pretty successful showing their Cockers said it's what they do when showing their boys. I don't know what they do with their girls!

:005: How typical I read this about Louis, William surely wouldn't go for this would he, he's too proper  :005:

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
I love the plum tip :005:

I had wondered about standing to set him up but everyone else seems to kneel. Anyway will try both - although the whole plum advice might not be so discrete if I'm standing!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »

:rofl1: :rofl1: I do exactly the same thing. I'm glad it's not just me,  :shades: :005: although Tally is a lot better than he used to be. Now I can feel his head getting heavier and heavier if we stand for to long as he falls asleep. Mind you he falls asleep when I'm grooming him as well.  :shades: :005: I think give them time. Tally is nearly 2 now and it all takes time. I would try the standing up as that may help or the turning him the other way, but I really wouldn't worry to much. It will come.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
The way I train them to stand is to set them up and hold them there literally for a couple of seconds, then give huge praise and sometimes a treat. From there you increase the amount of time but always end the stand before they break free of it. ;) :D

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
I would love to stand instead of kneeling behind me but my dodgy back won't let me! I'm having problems with Ruby Doo having a short attention span at the mo but I do the turning her around trick if she fidgets. I have to say though that I am thinking that it is me and not Ruby as a young girl took her in the challenge for me at a show last week and she stacked and moved wonderfully! I think that I let them get away with too much!! xx
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Nice to see you today Sarah. Pebble looked lovely. He went well with only a slight wriggle.  :shades: :005: Stick with it. You did well.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »
You're really kind Sarah. I thought the flip on to his back and legs in the air was his crowning moment! Did you miss it.  >:D

It was lovely to see Tally again - what  a sweet boy. I missed you in the ring,  my children are ill so thought I should get home to help  my OH. Hope it went well for you both today and to see you again soon.

We'll keep on with the practise.  ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »

With girls or if you don't want plum smooth, gently stroking the underside of the tail often helps  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne