Author Topic: Claim question  (Read 2527 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Claim question
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
This might seem a silly question but I was wondering if you feed your dog a perscription diet can you claim the price of the food back from you insurance?

I had never thought about it and have been buying it whilst Baja was suffering with his giardia, but when I popped into the vets today a woman was picking up some perscription dog food, I overheard her saying she was putting in a claim as it had been a while since her last one, was she meaning for the food?

Just wondered if I should be claiming for it as I have just given in my form the the vet  :huh:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Claim question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
I'm sure you can, check your policy.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »
I'm sure you can, check your policy.

Now why didn't I think of that  :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »
Who are you insured with?

I'm pretty sure you can with petplan

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »
Who are you insured with?

I'm pretty sure you can with petplan

We have petplan, although we have been buying it on line so I wonder if they will still allow it, I guess we only have card statements and emails as a receipt, will have to find out if they would accept them  :huh:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the only prescription foods not covered are for weight control.  I do know that you can claim for food if bought online - just keep the receipts and they should be submitted with the claim form.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the only prescription foods not covered are for weight control.  I do know that you can claim for food if bought online - just keep the receipts and they should be submitted with the claim form.

OH doesn't do receipts so has thrown them away! I wonder if the company will send us more?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
Definitely worth asking - if they can't, do you maybe have email confirmation that you can print out?

Also another thought just came to mind - some policies state that they will only pay the difference in price between the prescription food and the pets usual food so you might get back less than you expected if you are factoring in the full cost.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »
Definitely worth asking - if they can't, do you maybe have email confirmation that you can print out?

Also another thought just came to mind - some policies state that they will only pay the difference in price between the prescription food and the pets usual food so you might get back less than you expected if you are factoring in the full cost.

Will get my OH on to it this week and see what happens, thanks for the info it's really useful  :D

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
I am with PetPlan and they don't pay out for perscription diets unfortunately.

They do pay out for food for bladder stones only.

When Moo-Moo was first diagnosed with struvite crystals back in 2007 (I think!), they paid for ALL his food for 6 months, which was very good as they say it takes 3 months to clear them up and a further 3 months to keep them away.

After he got them again when we put him back on his normal food, PetPlan would only payout for 40% this time for 6 months and the other 60% I had to pay for.........terms and conditions changed.

My vet wrote a letter to PetPlan saying that Moo needed to stay on the perscription food and they wrote back saying that they don't pay out for preventative food which it would have been by this time. They more or less said that as my vet had recommended Moo to stay on the perscription food and if he got the crystals back again they may not pay out..........so they'd got me by the short and curlies  :005:!
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
I am with PetPlan and they don't pay out for perscription diets unfortunately.

They do pay out for food for bladder stones only.

When Moo-Moo was first diagnosed with struvite crystals back in 2007 (I think!), they paid for ALL his food for 6 months, which was very good as they say it takes 3 months to clear them up and a further 3 months to keep them away.

After he got them again when we put him back on his normal food, PetPlan would only payout for 40% this time for 6 months and the other 60% I had to pay for.........terms and conditions changed.

My vet wrote a letter to PetPlan saying that Moo needed to stay on the perscription food and they wrote back saying that they don't pay out for preventative food which it would have been by this time. They more or less said that as my vet had recommended Moo to stay on the perscription food and if he got the crystals back again they may not pay out..........so they'd got me by the short and curlies  :005:!

Thanks for that information, it really is a minefield  ::)

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »
I get my food off the internet and my vet price-matches the price of the food plus the delivery charge, which is still cheaper than buying it direct from the vets.

I normally use www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk but Vetuk had a great offer on the other week - 33% off, which was a magnificent offer so I doubled up  :005:!
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
yes and no

I can sometimes depend on whether its an actual treatment or not (even if it says prescription) + I once claimed for one type and got the money back but didn't the 2nd time for another cat for same food - there was a slight difference in symptoms (and it was ever so slight even though they both had same problem).

I'm with petplan
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!