Author Topic: Barking when someone comes to visit  (Read 551 times)

Offline I love cockers

Barking when someone comes to visit
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Hi everyone

Just wondered if someone could give me some advice. Blue is nearly 12 and the older she gets the more she barks when someone comes to the front door. Maya (1 year) is starting to copy her so would really like to try to get Blue to stop. Once she has greeted the person and they come into the house she calms down and sits on her bed and settles.

Could anyone give me any advice how to stop her from barking?

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: Barking when someone comes to visit
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
No advice here I'm afraid as Bonnie Boo barks whenever she hears the doorbell, as soon as whoever it is is in the house then its a bum wiggling soft toy carrying greeting :lol:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
kizzy is 13 and is def getting worse at barking, and ive got 2 more who copy her, she will even bark when the person comes in, so i put her in another room,  no advice but i know how you feel  :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
I watched its me or the dog the other day and the trainer on that was working with a dog who did this.  Without anyone present she got the dog to wait a safe distance away from the door giving them a treat each time they stayed quietly in the place she set whilst she went to the door.  If they didnt stay quietly she would turn her back on them until they became quiet again.  then the next stage was to build up with the waiting until she was able to 1) get to the door, 2) open the door 3) go out and come back in 4) get someone else to knock on door/ring bell 5) someone else to come in without the dog moving or barking.  Her main approach was to continue to use 'wait' , turn away if the dog barked and to priase and give treat if dog waited and didnt bark.  No idea if this works as havent had to do this yet. 

Oh yes just remembered - approx 16 years ago when our first dog was a pup a trainer had told us to put metal baking tins in the same room as where the dog barked and each time the dog barked to throw keys at the tin to make a noise which distracted the dog from barking.

However what I must say is - my last dog I had happily for 14 years and I only just got my new one from the rescue yesterday and I am having great fun re learning everything