Author Topic: Puppy Maulling arms - Lots of advice please!!!  (Read 661 times)

Offline henryjack1dogs

Puppy Maulling arms - Lots of advice please!!!
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:35 AM »
 :D
Hi, Max our new cocker puppy - 12 weeks old today but from 8 weeks onwards he mauls my arms when I am close by or stop him doing anything!  I have had two cockers in the past, but the puppy years were 15 years ago but I do seem to recall they were both bottom of trousers tuggers!  Max really mauls latches on, my arms look like I have been self harming - he draws blood!  It really hurts - he doesn't do it to my girls, only  to my husband occasionally. I am the one who spends more time with the training, very fussy with him - crazy about dogs!  I do the the 'ouch' and very occasionally he lets go, other times he goes for a second bite, he seems to have a very strong will, I also put him down if he's on my lap, alot of the time is when I am saying No or trying to stop him him doing something he shouldn't be doing.  If it continues I do put him out of the room we are all in, for a few minutes to calm him down.  He isn't walked yet, bring on the weekend!  I am hoping he will be more tired so might take the edge off!

Please any advice or if I am doing something wrong, please point me in the right direction.  I am not doing walk away and leave him scenario, as toilet training is in progress - doing well but he will wee and tear the wallpaper off  :005: if I did.  He's very quick off the mark!

Please some advice!!!   :D

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Puppy Maulling arms - Lots of advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:54:13 AM »
At that age I find its all about setting boundaries and use of distraction techniques. I'd maybe yelp in a higher pitch just to get more of his attention and I'd defo have plenty of alternative toys available so if he's getting a bit rough I could wave one of them in front of him instead and he could go for that. Roll on 4 mths when those little needle teeth start to drop out and hopefully once he's started to go out and about he'll have less energy to daggle off your arm quite so often. :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
I've read a lot about this in preparation for my pup so this advice is more academic than anacdotal. All I can suggest is to have a cuddly toy to hand and when he tries to maul you, yelp and distract him with the cuddly and let him bite that instead. The theory of this is that it is teaching him it is not okay to bite humans but it is okay to gnaw on his toys - this means it takes into account that he bites because he is learning, playing and teething and so he needs to gnaw on things, just maybe not your arms.

Though as I said this is an academic answer, not sure how easy it is to put in to practice (I will let you know when my test subject arrives this weekend  :005:)

Offline Pip895

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
Ouch didn't work too well for me.  Ignoring/walking away helped and popping her in a puppy pen when it got too much.

If you have room for a pen I'd recommend it - it might save the wallpaper too. :005:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
Beat me to the pen idea but should not be used as a prison or punishment area.
When you have had enough then pop the pup in the pen with stuff to chew.
If he is chomping on you then redirect on to something more appropriate such as a toy or a chew.
The bigger the toy the better, so he doesn't catch you instead.
I would also hand feed loads from the flat of your hand and also teach him to target your hand with his nose

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Baby gates are good too. You can either shut pupst or yourself out of the room temporarily. I find that especially good in my room as Tali can see me and see I'm ignoring him and that settles him more quickly. When he lies down quietly, he's allowed back in. If he immediately leaps at me for a bite, it's straight outside again. It also means I can sit and read or something without him tugging at me. Thus he is slowly realising it's not always playtime in the bubbyes room and so he takes the opportunity to have a little nap, thus peace and calm all round.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline ajwb

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »

My 5 month old cocker would also end up chewing my arms if I got in the way!
Top tip: get one of those long sausage type chewy toys so that they cannot get to you and it works a treat! ;)