Author Topic: TTouch info  (Read 933 times)

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
TTouch info
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »
hi i have sean a lot on this TTouch but i am not sure what it is and how you do it
any one got any tips on how to do it

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: TTouch info
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
ClaireP4 is the lady to ask aout TTouch, i am sure she will along later to answer any questions, you migh have. :shades:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
Hi Pudding,

TTouch is a very gentle training and rehabilitation method, with the basic theory being that an animal's posture impacts on its behaviour. For example, a dog who is tense in the lower back and tail may have a clamped tail, and is likely to react in certain ways (usually fairly anxious), and a dog who has lots of tension in the neck will usually hold his head high and this will often go along with being quite reactive.

So we assess an animal by making observations of its gait, changes in texture/pattern in the fur, and its responses to being touched (eg if you are stroking a dog gently down the back and at a certain point it always sits down or yawns, chances are it has tension in that area of its back  ;)).

We then use a series of circular touches, slides and lifts of the skin which give the dog feedback about its body by using different neurological pathways to the norm (a bit like when you cross your legs the "wrong" way). This helps the dog to learn about itself and it is often then able to correct its posture and become more relaxed.

We also use groundwork, which is when we guide the dog slowly around and over a series of low obstacles, weaves and surfaces (car mats, wooden boards etc). By going slowly we allow the dog to really think about where it is placing its feet and how to move its body properly (eg some dogs may be tense in the spine and not be able to curve their body around a corner, instead swinging their back end out like a big lorry turning a corner).

As well as teaching the dog to move in a better way, the groundwork also really builds confidence as it encourages the dog to try new things in a very non-threatening way (if a dog cannot walk over a particular surface - dogs with noise phobias often find shiny surfaces difficult - then we don't force it, but we give it time and encouragement until it tries the surface out of its own will).

We also use various bodywraps and t-shirts which can help bring the dog awareness of its body and make it feel more secure.

TTouch can help with all kinds of behaviour - fear-aggression, noise phobias, travel sickness, anxiety about being handled, it can help agility dogs who keep missing contacts, it's BRILLIANT for building the human-dog bond, helps with overall wellbeing and generally relaxes the dog (actually it's quite relaxing for the human too).

I tend to think of it these days as teaching the dog transferrable skills - we might not necessarily directly address the "problem" behaviour but we teach the dog to be more relaxed and confident which usually makes the behaviour disappear.

Edited to add this link which shows Sarah Fisher doing TTouch with a shelter cat:  http://www.tilleyfarm.co.uk/catvideo1.html

Hope that helps  ;)

Claire

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
whoo thank you how can i found out more about this
what i mean is how i can i learn to do it 

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Where are you based? I'm actually doing a free TTouch intro talk/demo at my house in SE London (Lewisham area) on Saturday 8th May and you're welcome to come along (no dogs as I'll be using mine to demo on).

If you go to my website (www.tellingtontouch.org.uk) I also have links to recommended TTouch books and also to the UK TTouch centre which advertises workshops all over the place. The best way to learn really is to go to a workshop as you can really get a feel for it, you can pick up the general idea from the books but there's nothing like a bit of hands-on teaching.

Claire

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
I only know the very basics of TTouch after going to a three hour workshop, but I am very impressed with it - Brodie loves it and would be perfectly happy if I did it with her all day :005:. She tends to be more relaxed out on walks if I do TTouch beforehand, and amazingly will now let me brush her without any fuss, whereas in the past she used to hate it and put up a fight. This is just with the basic bodywork touches I was taught, so I would love to learn more ;). She is quite a nervous dog and I was shown at the workshop how she is sensitive about her muzzle and her hind end, and also how the way she acts (a lot of movement, pacing and circles) is an indication to how much stress she's feeling at the time. I really recommend going to a workshop as we are getting so much out of what I learned in those three hours :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
Hi
This sounds brilliant and i would love to go along to one of the workshops. 
How do we find out dates and locations of all the workshops available.
Angie
Angie & Connie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
I did a 1 day workshop at Tilley Farm with William a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, that I'm doing a 2 day workshop with Louis next month. I really feel that Louis and I will benefit from it because Louis is becoming very noise reactive, which is adding to his existing problems of a total lack of focus and his inability to move slowly. He's very clumsy and can't use his body effectively, so rushes everything. All of those factors are linked together. If I can get him to think about how he moves, by doing groundwork slowly, then he'll start learning how to focus rather than simply reacting to situations.

Claire's explanation about groundwork is infinitely better than mine, but I believe I know what most of Louis's problems are, even if I can't explain them well. He's a very frustrated and puzzled little dog and I'm a very frustrated owner at the moment because I can't teach him anything :'(

Claire, you're just a bit too far for me to travel to for your talk unfortunately.

Pudding, as you can see from the above, I know very little about TT, but just enough to be sure that it will really help Louis and will therefore help me to build up my partnership with Louis.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »
If anyone is interested in workshops, go to www.ttouchtteam.co.uk and they are all listed on there.

Elaine, are you going to the 2 day clicker course at Tilley Farm? If so I'll be there with Bella ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
If anyone is interested in workshops, go to www.ttouchtteam.co.uk and they are all listed on there.

Elaine, are you going to the 2 day clicker course at Tilley Farm? If so I'll be there with Bella ;)

Yes, 15th & 16th May :D Look forward to meeting you and Bella. Apologies in advance for my noisy and clueless little Louis :D

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:35:48 AM »

Yes, 15th & 16th May :D Look forward to meeting you and Bella. Apologies in advance for my noisy and clueless little Louis :D

Oooh, it'll be nice to have another cocker there! There will be a few of us TTouch peeps there I think, I'm basically doing it as I use clicker training alot with my two (and also a bit with clients) but have never had any formal training so want to make sure I'm getting it right...  Look forward to meeting you there.  :D

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
is there any where in Essex that do it as i am in Hockley NR southend

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
is there any where in Essex that do it as i am in Hockley NR southend

Look on the website as that shows any forthcoming workshops. I'm not sure if there are any practitioners in Essex at the moment but there may be practitioners willing to travel out to see you.

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Was just up in Harrogate for a few days and came across alovely TTouch center there. Tilley farm alot closer for me though but course all full up for May. Am really interested at learning this for Buddy as he still turns to mouth when stroking him and is hyper all the time. Any idea when next workshop will be please xx

AKA Buddy

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
Was just up in Harrogate for a few days and came across alovely TTouch center there. Tilley farm alot closer for me though but course all full up for May. Am really interested at learning this for Buddy as he still turns to mouth when stroking him and is hyper all the time. Any idea when next workshop will be please xx

Your best bet is to check the TTouch website. Also if you sign up to alerts on the Tilley Farm site, they send out emails advertising new workshops as and when practitioners decide to run them.  ;)