Author Topic: Working cockers in pedigree classes at Companion Shows?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline sophiew

• Donator
Working cockers in pedigree classes at Companion Shows?
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
Hi

Hope someone can help.

We've got a local Companion dog show the weekend after next and I was going to take Tally for a day out. There is a puppy class, but it's in the pedigree section and she's a working type cocker - so although KC registered, will she not get anywhere because she's a working type?

There isn't a puppy class in the 'novelty' bit, so I wasn't sure where to put her. If there's no point putting her in the pedigree classes, we'll save our pounds and efforts for something else, like 'Prettiest Bitch'  :005:

Thanks

Sophie
x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Working cockers in pedigree classes at Companion Shows?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
In my experience it really depends on the judge. Yesterday at a local companion show, there were a couple of workers in the pedigree classes and also a little show type that made Heidi look well off for coat.  I don't think the worker got placed in any of the classes, though a lot of nice dogs didn't get placed in some big classes, but the little Black and white did.  I know others don't bother to enter the Pedigree classes because they are workers  :dunno:

My Louie is 1/4 worker, clipped and castrated but he's still won Pedigree Sporting classes on more than one occasion (beating a nice cocker shortlisted at Crufts that year - sorry Bev  :005:)  Not all judges take the "Pedigree" bit that seriously and go more for "eye of the beholder" approach rather than conforming to an absolute show type standard.

I tend to take the view of if I'm going, it's generally another £1 for the class, and usually it's for charity.  Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes I'm not  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
i entered bracken in pedigree puppy classes and she is a mix of working and show. I really think it depends on the show. Some shows are very much open to any pedigree and aren't judged on conformity, but another one I entered every other puppy in the show ring was on a show lead and we really were out of our depth  :005: Like Jenny says though they are usually for charity and it's only a £1 so no harm in trying. We came third in one pedigree puppy class and have been placed in others  :D

Waggiest tail is usually good for cockers  ;)
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
Waggiest tail is usually good for cockers 

It certainly is,my Peachy(or/roan)allways either wins it or is placed everytime,she has long tail that only stops wagging when asleep,she even keeps it going when i'm bathing her :005:!!!!!!

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
I wouldn't bother tbh - unless your dog remotely meets the breed standard...which most working cockers do not.  Enter her in the fun classes  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
Waggiest tail is usually good for cockers 

It certainly is,my Peachy(or/roan)allways either wins it or is placed everytime,she has long tail that only stops wagging when asleep,she even keeps it going when i'm bathing her :005:!!!!!!

Oh bless her! Tally wags her whole body, but she's docked so I'm not sure she'd win!

Offline kaycee

• Wow!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »
hi i started with a working cocker and entered her in many open shows she was3/4 show and had a coat i wish some of my show cockers had, :oi was welcomed by all the show people and occasionally i would be placed before a show cocker,but the av gundog was her speciality she always did well,so we used to enjoy  whatching for the writeups in the dog world and we have many saved, all of which were very complimentry so there is room for working cockers to show provideing you are happy to be knocked back in the breed classes but enjoy the AV classes. happy showing  kay. ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
hi i started with a working cocker and entered her in many open shows she was3/4 show and had a coat i wish some of my show cockers had, :oi was welcomed by all the show people and occasionally i would be placed before a show cocker,but the av gundog was her speciality she always did well,so we used to enjoy  whatching for the writeups in the dog world and we have many saved, all of which were very complimentry so there is room for working cockers to show provideing you are happy to be knocked back in the breed classes but enjoy the AV classes. happy showing  kay. ;)

hmmm, that's interesting as we thought about getting permission to show Louie (he's castrated) but he's a good junior handling dog, problem being that he has to also be entered in the breed class to take part. 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 04:30:44 PM »
I think there's quite a difference in a 3/4 show type Cocker and a full working Cocker though. For fun shows and companion shows fair enough, I've done a few things like that with my lot but they'd never place in a proper breed class, they haven't got anything remotely like the coat of a show Cocker and they'd stick out like sore thumbs, folk would think I'd wandered into the wrong ring :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
I think there's quite a difference in a 3/4 show type Cocker and a full working Cocker though. For fun shows and companion shows fair enough, I've done a few things like that with my lot but they'd never place in a proper breed class, they haven't got anything remotely like the coat of a show Cocker and they'd stick out like sore thumbs, folk would think I'd wandered into the wrong ring :005:

Agree completely Nicola.  But there are workers in the pedigree classes sometimes, luck of the draw as to how many entries and the judge on the day.  I wouldn't say they all judge to breed standard even in the pedigree classes at Companion shows.

Plenty of other classes where they stand just as much chance as their show cousins  ;)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
at our rescue show we have a couple of pedigree classes as it's a stipulation of the insurance you get by running a KC show. The judges would probably know less than the entries about what was show standard. I suppose they were the kind of shows I was thinking of.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk