Author Topic: Do premiums go up after a claim?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
Do premiums go up after a claim?
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
Hi there,

Hello to you all! Long time no see I'm afraid due to some very human activities keeping us occupied.

Poor Griffin has had a rubbish week. He started limping on Wednesday morning so saw the vet that afternoon. She pulled out an evil grass seed  >:D

He's been on antibiotics since but it came up as a big abcess and last night I was sure he'd need to go back to the vet. But when I bathed it (as advised by the vet) the blister ruptured and loads of yucky puss came out. Despite being rank, he seemed so much better so I called the vet again and explained and she said she was happy not to see him. Then, an hour later I phoned back up because the blister filled up again and he was limping.  >:D >:D

So, I just got back from taking him. She's keeping him there for a few hours and is going to cut the abscess open and clean it out and make sure there's no lurking grass seed left in it.

So, on to the question, she thinks it'll be about £200 on top of the £56 we've already paid. Our excess is £50 so we'd be able to claim £200 back. Do you know if it works like other insurance as in, will next years premiums go up by a staggering amount because we've claimed?

He's having the op anyway, that's not in question as I'd do anything to make him better. But we do need to think about the most economical way of doing it.

Thanks for the advice
Carys
xxxx
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: Do premiums go up after a claim?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
I've claimed once for Reuben and his policy didn't go up any more than Casper's.  :D

Hope Griffin feels better soon.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
In my experience more than likely I'm afraid. Check you policy they may allow a couple of claims before they increase the premiums.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
I've claimed a lot - like thousands - on my dogs' insurance over the last few years and it doesn't affect the premiums, it's not like car insurance etc. There are often 'standard' price hikes once you've been with a company for a year or two but unrelated to the number or value of claims. A couple of years ago in one year I claimed nothing for Tilly but well over £2000 for Rodaidh for his knee surgery but their premiums went up by the same amount the following year (and it wasn't much).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
we've found that our premiums DO go up. It has happened twice with Oliver whereas Smudge's , who we hadn't claimed for have stayed the same .A big hike as well.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »
we've found that our premiums DO go up. It has happened twice with Oliver whereas Smudge's , who we hadn't claimed for have stayed the same .A big hike as well.

Which company is that?? I've never heard of pet insurance going up based on claims but maybe I've been lucky with the companies I've used... If my premiums had gone up based on how much I've claimed I'd be bankrupt by now ph34r :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
Good question.  When I put in a claim for Tiffs dry eye meds I asked my insurers the same thing as I was um-ing & ah-ing about claiming exactly because of that.  They said not neccessarily.  It was dependent on how many dogs of the same breed, same age, claimed for the same thing in the same year - and all that was taken into consideration on renewal, if that makes sense.

I'll let you know at the end of August  ;)

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
h
Which company is that?? I've never heard of pet insurance going up based on claims but maybe I've been lucky with the companies I've used... If my premiums had gone up based on how much I've claimed I'd be bankrupt by now ph34r :005:

excuse no capitals but I've had surgery on my shoulder,am in a sling for 6 weeks and life is a little difficult!

This was with morethan, ollie was castrated for medical reasons,he had an enlarged prostate and the vet recommended castration,morethan paid out no problems but when the new policy came through we queried the big hike in premiums and they said it was because of our claim ...!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
Billys insurance with petplan never went up when i claimed  :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
William has been insured with NFU since he was a puppy and his premium barely went up at all last year despite claims totalling over £1,200 for his MRI Scan and other investigations relating to his back problem.

I think it depends on who you're insured with and the terms of your policy.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

But then Petplan charge so much they don't need to put their premiums up  :lol:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
In my experience more than likely I'm afraid. Check you policy they may allow a couple of claims before they increase the premiums.

Petplan and a lot of other insurance policies never do and I've claimed loads for some pets and nothing for others - pet insurance is different than household, car etc. they don't have a 'no claims' bonus or claims penalty

A lot of them just put up their premium for everyone and not just for those who use them

I'm with Nicola on that one as I'd be bankrupt too if they did this
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
Good question.  When I put in a claim for Tiffs dry eye meds I asked my insurers the same thing as I was um-ing & ah-ing about claiming exactly because of that.  They said not neccessarily.  It was dependent on how many dogs of the same breed, same age, claimed for the same thing in the same year - and all that was taken into consideration on renewal, if that makes sense.

That's everyone who has a policy with them not just your dogs - its what all insurance companies do as its based on risk estimates (M&S decided a while back to up the premiums of male dogs whatever the breed and when people enquired it was because they were getting a lot of claims re dog fights)

Premiums will always go up anyway just as the cost of living goes up (but premiums probably won't go down even if that does though ;)) + vets will use increasingly more complex techniques which cost more money so they will take that into account
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
I've claimed twice with Sainsburys for Jasper and no price increase

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

But then Petplan charge so much they don't need to put their premiums up  :lol:

I don't pay that much, about £22 a month I think  :blink:

Hope I'm not tempting fate here  :lol2:, but I've found them superb. They've issued cheques to me on the same day they've received my claim form  :blink: Can't ask for any better service than that  :D