Author Topic: Jump in insurance.  (Read 1587 times)

Offline janall

Jump in insurance.
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:01:58 AM »
We've just had our insurance renewal  (through Tesco) for our older cocker Tessa and was quite shocked to see it had increased by £10 - now I know it would be higher because she has now reached 10 yrs but even so didn't think it would be that much...have had older dogs in the past and never noticed such a jump when they reached 10 before..anyone else noticed their insurance jump by so much ?

Having said this we do know only too well  how important pet insurance is so not haiving it is not an option.
'Dogs were born with three legs and a spare'

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: Jump in insurance.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
I'm afraid so my insurance for Henry has increased massively this year as he is now 9. Annoying but because I love him I pay it >:( dog help us next year when Jasper is 9 think it might be second mortgage time.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
I was at the vets the other day and a couple were there with their westie. They said their dog was 14 years old and their insurance had risen to £50 a month, plus they had to pay 75% of the vet's fees.  :o 

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »
Kali and Lylas insurance went up by £4 each.  Kali is 4 and Lyla 2 and neither of them have had a claim for anything for 2 years..... :-\  I think M&S excess is £70 and in dogs over 9 it is £70 plus 20% of the total bill.  It is a disgrace...... >:(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
I've just had my renewal from NFU and for the first time ever it's had a big rise in the premium >:(, about £60 per year for William and £40 for Louis.

I phoned and asked why, plus went through all the dog's details to make sure they've got them right. I was told that NFU, having held cover at much the same rate for a few years (which is true in my case and I've been with them 6 years) have applied a big rise across the board because of the increases in vet fees.

William has been insured with them for 6 years and in the last 2 years I've made substantial claims for the MRI scan etc. on his back and diagnosis and treatment of dry eye. They've also paid for his physio treatment, which some insurers won't. Louis has been insured for 1 year and I've not had to make a claim so far.

NFU provided me with a breakdown of the premiums for each dog. William's is more expensive as he's 6 and doesn't have any no claims bonus. Louis has 1 year no claims bonus and is only 1 year old, but the difference between the 2 premiums is not much really, so there hasn't been a big rise following William's claims. The excess for both of them is £50.

I've got what I think is very good cover - lifetime cover for any conditions they're diagnosed with and up to £4,000 per year per condition. So I know that William's Optimmune for his dry eye, at £38 per tube which lasts 6 weeks, is paid for throughout his life after the first £50 each year. If his disk problems get worse and he needs another scan or surgery that will be covered too.

Louis has the same cover and hasn't needed it so far, thank goodness. So I feel a bit like I'm getting good value for what I pay for William and not for Louis, but I know that's not true. It's there for Louis if I need it.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
Same here...both my girls are with More Than and both gone up alot this time round, I had a look about but tbh they all averaged out around the same for the highest level of cover...ahhh well thats how to spend most of my pay rise sorted out then  ph34r

Offline janall

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
I was quite shocked at the £10 rise that I rang them and have doubled the excess which bought the payments down to £2 extra a month...figured I would rather pay more initially on treatment and less each month (so my excess is now £120 tather than £60)...

Janall x
'Dogs were born with three legs and a spare'