Author Topic: Insurance Excess.  (Read 1277 times)

Offline shezza

Insurance Excess.
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
I am looking into an insurance policy for Lulu our cocker puppy,and it seems like a minefield to me.
I cant seem to understand the excess? Lets say I go for an excess of £75 having paid a monthly premium of around £34 does that mean everytime I visited the vets do I pay the first £75? if thats so there is every chance that this excess amount could be paid by myself for many visits even over a period of six months without being able to claim anything from the Insurance company.Unless I am not understanding the excess fully.

Offline mooching

Re: Insurance Excess.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:23:37 PM »
With PetPlan it's an annual excess, per condition. I imagine it would be the same for most if not all others.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
Excess is per condition, so if your dog say had lipfold problems and the bill was  75 pounds you pay it, but if the problem came back or wasn't resolved and you went back to the vet, you can claim for that. You pay the first seventy five of any new illness. some policies renew every year so you would pay the seventy five again for an ongoing condition. You need to have a lifetime policy that covers an illness for life too, not just for a certain amount of time. Hope I haven't confused you more  :lol2:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
No. You would pay the 1st £75 of each condition claimed for & also if you lapse over from one year to another.

from your example - if you were claiming for one condition during a year, you would pay £75.  If Lulu then was unwell with something else during that same year & you made a claim, you would pay another £75 & so on. I'm not sure on all insurers but with ours (M&S) I am liable for another excess each subsequent year even though it is for an ongoing condition - but it is money well spent IMO because you never know what's around the corner  -   when Purdey had lungworm her vet bill was over £3500  :shades:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
As others have said, it's usually an annual excess per condition.

For example, William has dry eye, an ongoing condition that needs eye ointment every day and vet checks every few months. My insurance year runs from August and in the year that started in August 2009 I put in a claim for dry eye treatment in January 2010 and paid the £50 excess. I put in a further claim for dry eye treatment in July 2010 and didn't have to pay an excess then because it was for the same condition.