Author Topic: De-odourise Coat  (Read 1709 times)

Offline blister

• Site Member
De-odourise Coat
« on: December 14, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »
Luka has been a little smelly lately and although I bathed him last week, he's smelly again after a few days!  :huh:

Could I 'de-odourise' the coat smell?? Perhaps dilute vinegar with water and then spary on him?? Vinegar is a good de-odouriser and often use it to spray on carpets. Or would it be too acidic on his coat?

It could be that his bottom is smelling a little bit and his anal glands needs emptying. I tried to do this last week but nothing was coming out - perhaps I wasn't doing it correctly. I will ask the vet next time I see him.

Many Thanks

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 05:42:04 PM »
It sounds like it could be anal glands to me - whenever Jimmy and Misty start to whiff a bit it's usually because of that. Brushing daily can help keep them smelling better too. :D

I've heard people recommend a spray from Dezynadog - unfortunately their site seems to be getting redesigned at the moment.  

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:04:50 AM »
i got my coat conditioner from hub - and it smells of baby powder!!!! Plus it helps to keep the knots at bay! :D  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 10:31:43 AM »
hi
i have exactly the same problem with Barney. He stinks at the moment and also just had his glands emptied. He has only started smelling like this in last few months - strange ;)

I saw a link to a tea tree shampoo her a while ago but can't find it anywhere - would anyone have any idea??? Ive tea tree is the best deodariser (spell?).

If anyone has any ideas I would also be grateful!!

thanks
 :)  

Offline motobrox

• Site Member
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:08:50 PM »
Paul Mitchell is the brand that makes Tea Tree shampoo. It's in a green bottle and is only available in approved salons, they are not hard to find.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 12:47:53 PM »
You can buy Tea Tree Oil shampoo in many pet stores but I prefer the Thursday Plantation range which you can buy at most health food stores like Holland & Barrett - it is more "natural" than some other brands.

Jane
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 05:42:03 PM »
I saw a link to a tea tree shampoo her a while ago but can't find it anywhere - would anyone have any idea??? Ive tea tree is the best deodariser (spell?).
You could always add a few drops of pure tea tree oil to Barneys usual shampoo - We have a bottle of it in every room  :rolleyes: Its great to add to laundry washes (especially dog blankets), bathwater for dogs or mucky/sick children, and I dab it neat onto blind spots to dry them up too  :blink:

Other oils that might help neutralise dog smell are Eucalyptus (very very sparingly), lavender (if you can cope with a dog that smells really sweet!) and ginger (nice in baths in the winter).

[size=8]Caution
Aromatherapy oils are powerful and should not be used by pregnant women (or dogs) and any species with long term health conditions, without consulting a qualified Aromatherapist
[/size]
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 05:52:07 PM »
Indie smells doggy after a week or so, so we bathe him every Sunday.

It's the only thing we found works, I find the deoderisers only mask the smell. I have allergies too, so that's also why we bath him, but his coat is lustrous and shiny, so it's not doing him any harm.

Shona x
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
De-odourise Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 10:05:14 AM »
thanks for all the tea tree tips!!

i actually started browsing the other threads and noticed everyone goes mad for the crazy dog shampoo - so ordered some of that - worth a try!

thanks xx