Author Topic: PAT - How do your dogs respond?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

PAT - How do your dogs respond?
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
Hope this is in the right place?!

I have just ordered a PAT application pack as they are looking for volunteers in the area (Medway).  I think Emily would be ideal as she is very calm and sensible as well as really sweet and friendly.  Have had a chat with the local representative as well.  I realise the process can take a while, so in the meantime would be interested to find out how the dogs themselves respond to the experience.  I did read an article about therapy dogs and it mentioned that it can be quite tiring for them.  Emily is a fit, healthy 8 and 3/4, but I wouldn't like to stress her out or tire her unduly.  Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: PAT - How do your dogs respond?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
No advice I'm afraid Emily but good luck if you do put Emily forward as a PAT dog.
They provide a wonderful service, which can help people of all ages, is so many ways  :luv:
I'm sure someone with info & advice will be along soon  ;) 
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »
Hi.  I have Muppet who is now 6 1/2 and has been a PAT dog for 4 1/2 year now.

We do two visits, one to the RUH in Bath where the children are really quite well.  Most of the treatment is elective, trauma or some long term oncology so they interact and play with Muppet for a couple of hours.  I must say she loves it, and I do genuinely mean that.  She is desperate to get in there amongst all the kids (and parents, and nurses and cleaners!).  She is dressed up, had stickers stuck on her, has ears plaited, used as part of their treatment and hugged and tugged and is fine.

The other visit we used to do was Frenchay where the kids were really quite sick, alot of neuro, heavy trauma, burns etc and this was tiring.  Not hard work as such but very intense.  I swear that dog has a 6th sense, she knows the difference between the well kids and the sick kids.  As with all PAT dogs it is temperament but with the sick kids she is extra special and calm.  We were normally in there for a couple of hours at a time and that was tiring but so rewarding.

It is so simple and yet so effective and we will continue to do at as long as Muppet is happy, the moment she has had enough we will stop.

Good luck with your assessment, shout if you want any help or advice with your application.
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
No advice but good luck in your application :luv:. I looked into doing it with Alfie but you have to be 18, so i'm going to wait until next year when i'm old enough ::), and it will give Alfie chance to settle down more. Let us know how you get on xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:46:48 AM »
I used to do 2 hours visits at an old peoples home....the two GSDs used to come home totally shattered (and stuffed full of treats!). I don't have time at present to do any visiting and my 2 PAT dogs are now at the Bridge.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »
My last lab was a PAT dog.  She was so calm and loving.  We went to an old peoples home where she just used to put her head on their knees for a stroke and a biscuit.  It helped them remember the days when they were at home and had a dog, or relatives who had dogs.  We did about an hour or so and Jess was never really tired but it was a very calm environment.  Dear Jess, now at the bridge  :luv: :luv: :luv:  Couldn't take any of my current dogs, none are the right temperament - more terrorists than PAT dog  :005:
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments and offers of help.  I will have Emily assessed and if we get through I think I'll suggest we visit a residential home as she is naturally very gentle (and not sure she'd 'enjoy' being pulled about)!  Think I'll have to be a bit careful with the treats too as she has a fairly strictly controlled diet.  I can quite see her electing to stay there for the extra snacks!  :005: Will let you know how we get on...

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
Sorry to hijack the thread but How much time do you have to dedicate to doing the vists? My OH wanted to do it with Clover but he heard that you have to comit to doing 6 - 10 hours a week which is more than we'd idealy like.

Although that would be ok most weeks he can be asked to work long hours so he doesnt think he'll be able to commit to doing that much every week. He was wanting to do an hour or two a week as this would be easlierly managable around work.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
Useful info.  That's a lot of hours...  The info I have read through so far said the volunteers could decide on the hours they could manage.  Just that visits should be regular.  I don't have 10 'spare' hours a week as I work and do agility with both dogs.  I will ask the rep how much time is required.  Is a bit of a shame if that is the requirement as I would imagine it discourages a lot of willing and able people and their dogs.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Useful info.  That's a lot of hours...  The info I have read through so far said the volunteers could decide on the hours they could manage.  Just that visits should be regular.  I don't have 10 'spare' hours a week as I work and do agility with both dogs.  I will ask the rep how much time is required.  Is a bit of a shame if that is the requirement as I would imagine it discourages a lot of willing and able people and their dogs.

Coco was a PAT dog until recently and she loved it.  We went to a residential care home once a week and the residents loved seeing her - many of them had had dogs in the past and really missed them so the chance to fuss and pet Coco was great for them.  :D  Coco loved going and used to bark her head off when we arrived so they all knew we had arrived  ::) :005:  If she had ever showed signs of not enjoying it I would have stopped.  ;)

Re time, I spent an hour or two a week doing it and PAT were more than happy with that.  I think you can do what hours suit you - the home didn't need any more than that either.  They just want you to be reliable and commit to a regular visit - how long you spend doing it is up to you  ;)

Good luck with it - it is a really worthwhile thing to do  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
Useful info.  That's a lot of hours...  The info I have read through so far said the volunteers could decide on the hours they could manage.  Just that visits should be regular.  I don't have 10 'spare' hours a week as I work and do agility with both dogs.  I will ask the rep how much time is required.  Is a bit of a shame if that is the requirement as I would imagine it discourages a lot of willing and able people and their dogs.

I only heard this from someone off the park. we've not looked into how true it is as we';re waiting for Clover to get a bit older before thinking about it seriously

Thanks
Sarah

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
This is something I have thought about with Willow my lab too but the 2 cocker spaniels entered her life and they're more than enough for her to deal with.

Good luck...takes a special person and dog to consider doing this for other people :luv: :luv:

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
i am planning to get my lab registered next year.  the only problem is at the moment is that she is far too bouncy when excited - but other than that has such a good temperament i am sure she would be ideal once she has calmed down.  I will be watching this thread with interest

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »
i am planning to get my lab registered next year.  the only problem is at the moment is that she is far too bouncy when excited - but other than that has such a good temperament i am sure she would be ideal once she has calmed down.  I will be watching this thread with interest

Ditto :D xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

Coco loved going and used to bark her head off when we arrived so they all knew we had arrived  ::) :005: 

If barking one's head off is allowed, I may register Ollie as well!  :005: