Author Topic: which pet insurance is recommended  (Read 3227 times)

Offline new cocker

which pet insurance is recommended
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
Just needed some help, we were wondering which pet plan to take out for our ellie, there`s so many conflicting reports, and its very confusing. She`s already started with a poorly hip, which were hoping isnt going to turn nasty, but we obviously want the best for her.. please.. any help would be greatly recieved.
thankyou,

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: which pet insurance is recommended
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
I have Argos (highest level of cover), who have been brilliant to date - two big claims for Jeff before he was 6 months old and both paid promptly. I've heard that they wack up premiums in the second year though so will have to wait and see  :-\

Offline mooching

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
Did you already have any insurance for her before she was diagnosed with the hip problem? If so, I'd suggest you stick with them, because otherwise you'll have to declare it as a pre-existing condition and it will most likely not be covered. Alternatively you could look for an insurer that does cover pre-existing conditions, if there are any.

Whatever company you go for, I suggest you go for one that offers a "Covered for Life" policy.

Offline Princess_noo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Pet plan do a covered for life policy. My recent rescue dog has been put straight on it as he's 7. I had to make a claim and they dealt with it really promptly. It can cost a little more than other companies but at least it gives me peace of mind. As 'mooching' suggested if you change insurance companies you will have to declare it as an existing condition.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
we use RSPCA and have their gold level cover. They've been brilliant. Been with them for probably 4 years now. Haven't been able to move because Jennie needs Optimmune ointment for eyes so we have a rolling claim with them to cover the cost of the ointment which is about £40 every 2 months.

Never had a problem with them, staff in the call centres are friendly and helpful, they've paid up promptly and without fuss everytime we've needed to use them.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
I was talking to the lady at our vets who processes payments/claim forms etc. She said out of all the insurers they deal with ( they are a big emergency 24/7 branch and so must do loads) Petplan are head and shoulder above any other insurer when it comes to claims. The people at petplan are "in the know" when it comes to animals and know what they are talking about. She said other insurers often query everything, almost as if they are looking for a reason NOT to pay out. Some insurers will always ask for a full medical history and often the person who is querying the claim hasn't got a clue about pet care/vets etc. She said the people the people at  petplan know what they are talking about and very rarely ask for a full medical history.

I am with petplan and unfortunately due to Billys allergies i am claiming back at least  approx £3,000 per year with Petplan. They have yet never queried any of my claims. I can track my claims on line and they always close, and pay, my claim the very same day that they receive my claim form. I honestly cannot fault them whatsoever. I've had tests done, swapped meds and everything and they have paid back every single penny. Some of which I thought they may not as it wasn't always 100% related to his allergy  ph34r

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
I'm with Halifax for Indie and they've paid up promptly on the two times I've claimed - must admit it was only a couple of hundred pounds though, however they have put their policy prices up after the first year.

I applied for a quote with them when looking for insurance for Quinn and was very disappointed to see the following statement on their quote "If your dog is 6 years of age or older or your cat is 9 years of age or older, after deduction of the standard policy excess for each illness or injury you must pay a further 20% of the remaining cost of the treatment".     I didn't go with them because of this and decided to go with PetPlan.     I think this is a new thing as this statement was not there when I first got Indie insured with them.  

I will be changing Indie over as well when her insurance comes to an end very soon.  

The quote for Quinn (puppy) from Halifax was £25.44 for £6,000 lifetime cover and £25.26 with Petplan for £4,000 lifetime cover but I feel it is a better policy so went with them.    

Offline mooching

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
PetPlan is the only insurance company that my vets will deal with directly, so I am with them for Alfie. I was with them for my Cav Flinty as well, and they were absolutely brilliant with all my claim for him (MVD) and also even paid for a dental clean and extractions that some other companies wouldn't pay out for. My cat is also with PetPlan and they also paid out for her dental.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
I have Argos (highest level of cover), who have been brilliant to date - two big claims for Jeff before he was 6 months old and both paid promptly. I've heard that they wack up premiums in the second year though so will have to wait and see  :-\

I am delighted to report that the new policies have arrived and, despite Jeff's claims, the premiums have barely risen at all, although the excess has gone up by £5 to £65.  I am therefore happy to recommend Argos Platinum cover  :D
Annie is £13.09 p/m and Jeff £14.33 p/m

Platinum cover is £7,000 p/a total, rolling over year on year.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »
Am watching this with interest because as of 7th January Lola is no longer insured.
I would not recommend More Than to anyone after they refused to pay a claim - having verbally TWICE said I was covered on the "all singing all dancing" policy.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline mooching

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »
SJP, just in case you're not aware, a number of insurance companies won't cover pre-existing conditions. I have heard of one that does, but can't remember the name of the company (so that wasn't really much use, was it! sorry! lol)

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
SJP, just in case you're not aware, a number of insurance companies won't cover pre-existing conditions. I have heard of one that does, but can't remember the name of the company (so that wasn't really much use, was it! sorry! lol)

It wasn't pre-existing! I've started a separate thread so not to steal the OP's thread  :D
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
My last cocker was insured with Pet Plan from the age of 7 and  they were great. He was in very good health until he was 11 when he developed arthritis and chronic kidney failure as well as having bouts of pancreatitis and heart problems. When there was any doubt about what the problem was with any of his condiditons he was able to have the most expensive tests and treatment so the higher premium was money well spent and in the end it helped knowing he had had the best treatment available. I hadn't planned on insuring our present blue roan Alfie until he was a similar age of 7yrs, but the vet nurse said how puppies can have unexpected problems with their fondness to pick up and eat such a wide variety of objects and it's advisable to insure them for the first year at least. I've also found that the vet's fees seem to have increase tenfold since our last chap was a pup so have taken out Tesco insurance for the first year or two as they have a lower excess rate than many of the others and I thought it would cover Alfie for any unexpected issues. As it is he was quite unwell last month with a stomach infection and the vet's and medication came to just under £150, so have put in a claim for this. However I will be insuring Alfie with Pet Plan in a couple of years.