Author Topic: Third party liability cover - how important?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline sunningwell

Third party liability cover - how important?
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
Dear All
I am trying to take out insurance for my 7yr old Leo who has separation anxiety as a preexisting condition. Petplan will not cover any third party liability because of this.  How important is TPL cover? - petplan is the best cover in other respects. RSPCA cover would include TPL but doesn't cover more than £6000 per condition over lifetime.
Trying to decide between the 2 policies
Any advice?
Thanks
Rachel

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Re: Third party liability cover - how important?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
Sorry to be so late to reply to this.  I have only just spotted it.  It's a shame Petplan won't cover TPL because, IMHO, they are by far the best company.  I find it quite odd too.  Are they excluding just damage to the house when your dog is left alone (understandable) or are they including things like causing a road accident?  I could live with the former but not having cover for the latter would make me very nervous.  Is it worth talking to them about it - I have always found them very reasonable? One salutary anecdote.  My old retriever's mother escaped from her owner and dived into the local commercial watercress beds.  The whole crop had to be scrapped at a cost (then) of over half a million.  She had TPL.  If she hadn't, her life could have been wrecked.  I know it's an extreme example but it certainly meant that no dog of mine has been uninsured for even a day. And I keep a very close eye on all of them by watercress beds.  :005: :005:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
I would say it's very important, if your dog ran into the road and caused a car crash you would be liable and that's what it would cover. I was assisting the police last weekend as two dogs had ran out an open door and attacked a driving pony that was waiting at the junction outside, the horse bolted causing damage to five parked cars, injuries to both people as the were thrown from the cart and the pony plus a wrecked cart. Hate to think how much that is going to cost!

Millie

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
In the event of a car crash (for example) £6000 wouldnt even cover the referral fees for the solicitors, never mind their actual fees !

Are you sure that figure is correct - it is usually at least £1million

In any event, Third party liability for a domestic pet which is not listed as a dangerous dog, is generally covered on a standary household policy  ;) 

Offline sunningwell

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks. I talked to Petplan again but they were very clear that no TPL would be covered so maybe that's something others should be aware of. I went with John Lewis cover (greenbee) in the end -they had no problem with his sa and t/l and were very helpful. yet to test them with a claim tho.