Author Topic: Advice needed on stacking please  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
Advice needed on stacking please
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
I'm completely new to showing and really need some advice about stacking bella. I've been taking her to ringcraft but there's nobody who shows cockers, or even any kind of spaniel so they can't give me much advice. They keep telling me to put her back legs further back but I think it makes her look too long in the back :-\ Have tried getting her front legs further under her but without much success, just make her hunch her back :huh:
We bought her as a pet so I don't even know whether she is show quality. Please tell me exactly what you think, would really appreciate honest opinions :D. I can't tell whether its her conformation thats not right or my pathetic attempts at stacking :lol2:.

edited: taken out the second photo - you're right they looked exactly the same!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Advice needed on stacking please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
She is beautiful, gorgeous colouring. There will be very experienced 'showers' to give you advice soon but in my extremely limited experience I was taught to put the front feet at the front of the table that will give you more room to make her stand a bit further back if that makes sense, if you compare both pics there is very little differnec to be honest, I would place her further forward then put her legs a little further out ;)
Her coat is coming along beautifully  :luv: How old is she now?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
shes 12 months

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
Try to keep her nose pointing forward not so much upward.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
Agree with both comments here. Does her breeder show at all? Maybe they could advice you as I know my breeder is very helpful. When I started out though I new absolutely nothing about showing and have slowly built up my knowledge by practice and making some fab friends who I'd be nowhere without. Maybe go along to a couple of shows and watch how they do it. You could even speak to the people there as most people are happy to help. I know I would be where possible. You wont be able to take your dog, but could come back with a better understanding of whats required. Good luck.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
The best thing is to get a good size mirror and practice stacking with that. You can look in the mirror which will give you the "judges eye view", then look down at your dog to see what your view is (which is generally from above) The more you do it in front of the mirror, the more familiar you will become with whether or not you have her positioned correctly  :shades:

Yes, it looks like she could be a bit more stretched out behind, but you want to make sure that the lower part of her back leg (the hock to the ground) is perfectly straight up and down, and not leaning forward  ;) 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
Spooky! She looks just like my little red girl!  :luv:

The best advice really is to try and watch as many shows as possible or study pictures of 'stacked dogs'. This will give you an idea of how you want to present your dog.

Also if you when you stack her you do it in front of a mirror then you can see what the judge will see and adjust accordingly. Its a really useful exercise as what you think looks right from the handler angle can look very different from the otherside of the ring!  ph34r

From your picture I would suggest trying to put her front legs underneath her a bit more - you can do this my lifting her up and dropping her down onto her legs, this usually gets them right and you may only need to 'tweak' them a bit. I would pull her back legs back slightly so you get to see her nice bend of stifle but make sure you keep her topline level. Try to pull her head slightly forward - to show her nice neck - and the head down slightly (shes not a hound!). I prefer not to put my thumb over the bridge of the nose as I feel it spoils the outline of the head (shes got a lovely head so show it off!) although I know some people can only hold their dogs heads still like that. I hook my finger under the jawline and steady the head from myside with my thumb - works on my show girls anyway!

I've attached a link for photos from Crufts last year which you mind find useful to look at - it will give you lots of ideas of how you want to present your dog for the judge.

http://www.cockeringles.org/exposiciones/2010/Crufts10.htm

Hope that helps! ;)
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Thanks for all the fab advice :D. Will have a go today and let you know how it goes.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
Have only shown golden retrievers but just taken a look at the Crufts link and then at your girl. The back legs seem to need to be a little further back.

Some great advice already given. Good luck.

Eve

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
Thanks all, we're going to Yorkshire Gundog open show next weekend so had better get practising! :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
getting someone to take photos of you stacking her on the table and on the floor is a good way for you to see how she compares to the ideal picture of how she should look to make the most of her finest attributes to demonstrate what it says in the breed standard..

Sooooo, if the breed standard says, "well balanced; compact; measuring approximately same from withers to ground as from withers to root of tail"  are you stacking her in a way that makes her look closest too that.  Few of us have the perfect shaped dog when we start out, so we need to fool the judge (where possible) into thinking that our dog is perfect.  This can be helped by stretching out a little more, or visa versa if too long, position of the lead on the neck to emphasis shoulders etc etc.

Likewise, grooming can make more of the good points and if like us, you have a limited amount of coat, forget the rule about wearing something to make the dog stand out and wear a similar colour so that it fills the gap.  With a black dog stacked on the floor with a good topline but not much skirt, wear a lighter colour on your body but dark trousers so when you kneel behind the dog, there is a general dark area that doesn't make the lack of skirt stick out like a sore thumb

hope that makes sense  - now I know the theory, just need to put in practise  ph34r

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
oops not yorkshire gundog thats the end of the month, I mean Harrogate DCS next weekend.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
getting someone to take photos of you stacking her on the table and on the floor is a good way for you to see how she compares to the ideal picture of how she should look to make the most of her finest attributes to demonstrate what it says in the breed standard..

Sooooo, if the breed standard says, "well balanced; compact; measuring approximately same from withers to ground as from withers to root of tail"  are you stacking her in a way that makes her look closest too that.  Few of us have the perfect shaped dog when we start out, so we need to fool the judge (where possible) into thinking that our dog is perfect.  This can be helped by stretching out a little more, or visa versa if too long, position of the lead on the neck to emphasis shoulders etc etc.

Likewise, grooming can make more of the good points and if like us, you have a limited amount of coat, forget the rule about wearing something to make the dog stand out and wear a similar colour so that it fills the gap.  With a black dog stacked on the floor with a good topline but not much skirt, wear a lighter colour on your body but dark trousers so when you kneel behind the dog, there is a general dark area that doesn't make the lack of skirt stick out like a sore thumb

hope that makes sense  - now I know the theory, just need to put in practise  ph34r

:011: Now we know all your secrets Jenny.  :shades: :005: Maybe I should wear orange trousers with Tally then. :005:  Don't think I'll have that prob with Dru somehow. ;)

Good luck at your show Emma3. Enjoy!!  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline kerrie

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »
some good advice on here its been a real help to me too. thank you