Author Topic: Healthy pets help  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Healthy pets help
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
I am sooooo angry and disappointed and disgusted and do not quite know how to start to tackle this.

We have been with HP for 6 years with 6 dogs - until January when my policy for 3 dogs came back at renewal for £110 per month!!  I found a cheaper deal for 2 of my dogs but had to leave Dylan as he was in the middle of treatment.

Dylan has been going to the Smart clinic for rehabilitative treatment for left rear lameness and tightness in his back - all covered by the policy.  This treatment started in October - Smart claim directly for all treatment and the firast 2 claims were paid (after we paid the ageed excess of "£70.

Well we had a call from Smart to say that they had claimed at the end pf November and december and that they had still not received payment (end Jan).  I phoned to chase and was told by the insurers that both claims were approved for payment and becuase of a change of iunderwiters and policy there was a delaty in payment.

Smart also phoned to chase.

I had to renew the policy in Jan and noted thatbthe excess was on the new policy only - £70 + 20% of the claim.

When they finally paid the December claim they decudted 20% of the cost - this was for treatment under the previous policy.  I [phoned them to say that the date of the treatment and claim was under the old policy and under the £70 excess and that they could not vary the terms of that policy without formal notification.  Although payment of the cliamwas post new policy and new terms the actual treatment and claimdate was prior therefore they can not vary.  I was told tough there was nothing they would it was an underwriter decision.

Then I got s letter today to say because our vets had not complied iwth an information request they were rejecting the other claim - 2 months after it was submitted!

when i hpnoed Smart they said they had not been asked for infomation - hen I phoned HP they said they wanted 12 months clinical histoy.  I asked why and they could not say so.  This has NEVER been requested or required before - Dylan has been insured with them for 5 years without break!!

I consider this unacceptable and podo not know what to do - help please I am angry - I have remained polite and courteous on the phone - it is not the fault of the call centre staff but am not allowed to speak to anyone else - please help!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Healthy pets help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
insurance ombusman (sp)?

Offline black taz

Re: Healthy pets help
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
they really have you when there is a pre-exisitng condition don't they  >:D.  HP put up my premiums nearly 100% (but the benefits had also increased).  i finished up downgrading to silver - Kira has a pre-existing ear condition so it would be difficult to change insurers without loosing ear cover.

if i read your post right it seems to revolved around the non-compliance of the vets to the information request (i guess this was the 12 month history).  As Dylan as been covered by the insurance for 5 years, i find it strange they want this now, but if this is what is required to get the bill paid then i think i would get the vet to provide it.  Alternatively, rather than you acting as go between ask your vet to contact HP directly to see what need to be done to get it paid.

good luck