Author Topic: Cocker Club Seminar "From Nest To Best" October 15th 2011  (Read 5878 times)

Offline trishaf

Re: Cocker Club Seminar "From Nest To Best" October 15th 2011
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »
Can I just say a BIG thankyou to all involved with organising the Cocker club seminar fron Nest to Best ,great speakers ,great food ,and great company ,came away with loads of information and grooming tips .

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Can I just say a BIG thankyou to all involved with organising the Cocker club seminar fron Nest to Best ,great speakers ,great food ,and great company ,came away with loads of information and grooming tips .

Ditto to what Trisha Says - we learnt loads and had a lovely time..

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Ditto was a great day and learnt quite a few things. Few things I just wanted to mention; giving calcium tablets during gestation isn't recommended anymore because it makes the bitch more prone to hypocalcemia during lactation and the tablets should only be given if recommended by vet because can do a lot of damage (like spurs on bones). I was talking to a vet at work about the course and she said 2 milk meals and 2 meat meals was the recommendation 30 years ago and can cause growth problems with puppies.

The composition of milk is very different between dogs and goats (and sheep) so it isn't recommended to supplement with milk from a different species because it hasn't been formulated for dogs.
            Dog          Goat
Fat        9.5%        4.1%
Protein   7.5%        3.6%
Lactose  3.4%        4.7%
If giving puppies goats milk you would need to change the consistency but you would also increase the lactose which will cause diarrhoea so it isn't recommended (figures are from BSAVA manual of canine and feline reproduction and neonatology, second edition, 2010).  "food for thought"  lol
One cocker leads to another...

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
Had a really good day,learnt alot,very interesting talks on all subjects,thankyou everyone concerened for putting in on.

I never give calcium tablets myself,but have brought all my dogs up on goats milk.The pups  start off on 'whelpi',then go on to goats milk,all my adults have a dish a day,it is very good for them.I have never,ever had any pup or adult have upset tummy's by giving them it.Cows milk can upset them,i never give them that.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
Probably best to post about calcium tablets/giving milk to puppies on the Breeding board? Wasn't at the seminar but am guessing someone recommended giving calcium during pregnancy? I don't supplement with calcium or give milk to puppies (unless hand rearing with puppy formula milk) but both practices were once commonplace so it's not unusual for a "senior" breeder to still recommend doing so.
Jane

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Any idea if this seminar will be repeated in 2012?

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/seminar_diary.htm

Still no seminars for 2012 anounced in the site.  :D
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976