Author Topic: insurance renewal  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Jeannie

insurance renewal
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »
Just been looking through all the insurance threads.  Coming up for insurance renewal and have spent hours on the net looking at options.  Currently with Petplan for my 2 year old girl Daisy, we started at £27 p.m. and the quote that has just come in is for £31 so an increase of only £4 in 2 yrs but expensive to start with (in Oxford and I know the postcode makes a difference) - this is for the basic for life Petplan cover of £4000.  Have only made one very small claim.   

I had virtually decided to go with Argos for life at £7000 at a quote of about £14 p.m. if I take an extra excess of £50.  (getting another pup shortly so will get a 10% discount on Argos for both so will be able to insure both for the price of one at present).   After reading all about a big hike of 30-50% in the 2nd or 3rd years of the cheaper policies just wondering if anyone has that experience with Argos.  If so I'd rather stay with Petplan who are reliable and easy to claim from via vet.

I've tried looking at various review sites, but get the impression that most people who send in reviews do so if they've had a bad experience but don't bother to report good experiences so you end up with a whole list of companies all with bad reviews and most of which have one or two reviews saying "don't touch this company"  so its very difficult to get a balanced view.

I'm not interested in making small claims can cope with those but want her covered for larger things that could cost thousands, I'm more interested in paying more excess and keeping monthly premiums down.  She was born deaf but is a perfectly healthy little dog, no problems with her ears at all - not sure if the deafness would be considered as a pre-existing condition if she had some ear problem in future - haven't asked Argos yet.

Also interested to read the thread about the quote going down if you say the dog was cheaper than it was to buy.

Any help welcome! :blink:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
Re: insurance renewal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »
Hi, i don't know much about insurance but i know that Alfie is insured with John Lewis (formerly Greenbee) and it was about £167 last year and his renewal has just come which is £175. We don't think this is bad at all so will stick with them, from what i have seen Petplan is very expensive and relys on people carrying on with them after the free month you get when they are puppies. John Lewis is a decent policy and covers him for up to £7000 per year etc.

Emma
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7