Author Topic: What to do with the lead?  (Read 945 times)

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
What to do with the lead?
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
I've been told at ring craft that to drop the lead when stacking isn't allowed and you could be disqualified for this. I'm struggling with how best to hold what feels like a very long lead so it doesn't tangle around a stacking dog. I noticed at a recent show nearly everyone placed the lead on the floor beside the dog - so which is correct?

Is it allowable to put the lead down when stacking your dog in the line up?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: What to do with the lead?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
It is more of an issue in a handling class than a showing class I think.  Certainly in a handling class you should hold it ALL the time and Meg rolls the surplus in the hand by the head IYSWIM.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
You could put the lead round your neck/shoulders. I do this sometimes, especially when on the table, it keeps it out of the way. ;)
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Joyce

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
No! if you are showing a cocker you must keep the lead on never take it off, when stacking the lead hangs loosely around the shoulders, to take it off means you will have no control over the dog, watch next time you are at a show. 

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »
No! if you are showing a cocker you must keep the lead on never take it off, when stacking the lead hangs loosely around the shoulders, to take it off means you will have no control over the dog, watch next time you are at a show. 

It is still attached not removed.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline kaycee

• Wow!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
I got caught out one day when i first started to show i had whatched the the judge that was judeging me this particular day take the lead off of his dog on the table at a show and also when he was stacking at the end , so i thought it would be ok,  i stood my dog at the end and slipped her lead off thinking he would be ok about it, he walked over and said could you please keep your lead on whilst in the ring as i cannot judge a dog without a lead as you have not got full control. when i asked him after he said he had been in the ring for years and most of the time he can get away with it, i think he was trying to teach me a lesson of which i was grateful of,If you dont ask you dont learn and i have never done it since, hope this helps kx.

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

I'll hang on to the lead  ;) whilst practising the suggestion for holding it rolled up in my hand. This is what I have been trying but I think I need to get more skillful as well as loosen it around the shoulders more as this would I guess shorten the length as well.

I'm planning to attend a show without my dogs this summer so I can watch more closely what I'm meant to do! Thanks again all for your advice.

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »
It is actually against kc rules to drop the lead,as then you are not in control of the dog,BUT,most people who show breeds like ours do drop them,the 'Yankee' people actually take the whole lead off!!!!! I am only speaking from experience as 2 years ago i lost a very high placing because i dropped the lead on the table when stacking the dog,the judge was kind enough to come to me afterwards and tell me never to let the lead drop,i now tend to put the loop over my hand up to my wrist,then stack the dog.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker