Author Topic: Finlay's and my first ringcraft class- what should I expect?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline poppy1407

Hey Just a little advice needed...I am taking Finlay to his first ring craft class next Tuesday, I am a novice in the showing world but its always something Iv wanted to do..iv been practising standing Finlay- dont know if Im doing it correctlytho :) and feeling over his body and under carridge and his mouth as advised by his breeder, he walks ok on his lead but not had that much practice as he is only 15 weeks, what will he be expected to do in his class? also how long do you have to do these classes for?

any advice appreciated xxxxx

Offline grracee

Re: Finlay's and my first ringcraft class- what should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »
Sorry no advice but will be watching this thread as I'm hoping to take Toby to his first ringcraft class in a couple of weeks when he has had his injections :D

Offline Meggie

• Site Member
  • Winning The Gundog JHA Semi-Finals 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »
take lots of treats and a toy- to keep them happy whilst waiting and to encourage them to walk  ;
Be calm- they'll pick up on your nerves if your nervous.
don't expect him to stand/move perfect first time out after all he's only a puppy.

our ringcraft class runs from 8 till 9.30 but we have a break in the middle and some go home in that break.  ;)

Good Luck
Meg x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
Don't worry. Take someone with you and speak to other cocker owners.

I don't show at all now but remember at my very first ringcraft Palacecraig, Lenoxgrove, Wiljana and Shanaz all had young pups there and all were very helpful. It's just me that was useless. Ha,ha. Someone will show you the ropes. Remember your show lead, treats and slicker.

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »

I don't show at all now but remember at my very first ringcraft Palacecraig, Lenoxgrove, Wiljana and Shanaz all had young pups there and all were very helpful. It's just me that was useless. Ha,ha. Someone will show you the ropes. Remember your show lead, treats and slicker.

hey thanks for the advice Idontwant to sound niave but what is a slicker???? :)

Offline Nicky

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
Its a type of brush  :)

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
Its a type of brush  :)

OOOOOH Silly me!   :005:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »

There were no cocker owners at my ringcraft class so we didn't get a lot of advice on stacking etc.    

To the OP, the people who run the ringcraft will let you know what you need to do.   It's basically walking up and down, triangle, walking round, stacking on the floor and then on the table where someone will go over your dog.    Along with touching mouth, body etc, get Finlay used to having his balls felt.   :005:  

I didn't take treats with me as found that was the worst thing to do with Quinn as he would get far too excited about them.  

Good luck and enjoy.    :D

ETA  - incase you're wondering why we went to ringcraft, we was planning on showing and he went to two shows but we don't show now - Quinn didn't like the showing after all.   

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
My main advice would be try to visit the ring craft without your dog first to check you like the feel of the club and to watch their approach.

I was new to showing 18 months ago and went to a ringcraft class weekly for 6 months. To be honest I wasn't comfortable with some of their approach for my dog and their clear lack of understanding about cockers so in the end I tried a different ringcraft club; not before the teacher had suggested 'I pay someone who knows what they're doing to show my dog' though which almost put me off continuing.

Our new class has been so much better for us - more friendly, supportive and encouraging of beginners than the other class. The only thing I could fault it on is there aren't any other cockers there! I wish I changed sooner as I feel our first experience set us back as beginners.

Anyway I hope you have a great time and look forward to hearing how you're getting on.  ;)