Author Topic: Is there such a thing as the terrible '2' s for dogs  (Read 667 times)

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
Is there such a thing as the terrible '2' s for dogs
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »
Hector my entire dog was two in May.  Until about 4 months ago he was a very submissive (almost too submissive) with other dogs.

Although nothing has changed in his environment and no nasty experiences over the last 3-4 months he has become agressive /growly with certain other dogs.

In the last 2 weeks alone he has lauched himself snarling at two bitch puppies.  He didn't bite but it was horrid to see. They were bigger then him and were pawing his face but even so I am very worried about this.

This is a significant change - he seems fine physically and I will mention it to the Vet but has anyone else had this with their dogs and was it a teenage phase.

Neither of our springers were anything worse than stroppy and naughty when they turned 2!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Re: Is there such a thing as the terrible '2' s for dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
In my experience some dogs don't like puppies!  My Paisley is one of these dogs.  She WILL NOT tolerate their silly paws in the face clumsy behaviour and will tell them in no uncertain terms that she is not happy!  She gives them the growl, then the lip curl first and if they don't get the message to back off then she goes in for a teeth snappy nip.  IMO this is perfectly acceptable behaviour as she has warned them off in a polite way but they have ignored her.  How else is a puppy to learn the correct way to say hello if they're not told off when they are OTT!?

Did Hector give his warnings to the pups before lunging at them?  If he did then I wouldn't worry too much.  Sounds like he has just matured out of puppyhood and doesn't want to be messed about with by silly baby dogs!

However, if he seems to be sensitive around meeting dogs and doesn't give much warning, perhaps he has hurt himself and is making sure nobody gets too close as he is in pain?
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »
Thanks Becky

No he seems to go from a stiffening in posture to a full on launch, teeth bared and snarling within seconds.

He hasn't bitten and I hopfully don't think he will but it is an extremely aggressive warning and to my eyes at least seems to be an disproportionate response

Pretty certain he is not in pain or hurt!

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
Poppy seems to have entered the "bossy" phase as I call it........  She is perfectly happy to tell puppies off and it can look a bit fierce but she has never nipped or bitten (fingers crossed may this remain) but i could not understand why this started and the first few times I was mortified....... what had happened to our bomb proof super friendly little dog...... Now I've just come to accpet that she is quite a confident dog around other dogs and sees it as her place to tell off puppies - Its never been nasty as such and to be honest when older dogs used to do it to Poppy I used to say no let them tell her off she needs to know how to play - its just not nice when its your dog doing the telling off!

Offline revis

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
Maggie who is 7 and a ex puppy farm girl met a puppy at our daughters house today and growled all the time at poor maisie-a sweet 12 week old working cocker and for thee first time in the year that we have had she barked. Maybe the 6 years she had to produce puppies non stop has put her right off them can't blame her .